Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Dissections: Carlton vs Western Bulldogs (Read 27655 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 17: Post Game Disinterested Disections: Carlton vs Weastern Bulldogs

Reply #60
Disappointing day. Cold, umpiring was average (the holding the ball against caleb daniel was rediculous) and kick on the ground was cancelled, so the little fellow was especially disappointed.

Agree, meaning it was neither good nor bad.  The one whinge I must vent is the "doggie chuck".  It's obviously ok to fling the ball over your head under the guise of a 'handball' even though both hands are travelling at the same speed.  ::)

The flick pass was before my time but I know it was outlawed because it blurred the lines between a throw and a handball which was unique to our game. Seems it's back.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #61
Let's address the white elephant in the room, our game plan is crap. It's more defensive that Malthouse's much maligned style and we only win if we're lucky enough to drag the opposition down to our level of ineptness.

If there's a white elephant in the room it'd be Weitering's year... he gifted the Dishlickers their 1st two goals, pretty demoralising stuff. Key defenders can't be gifting the opposition goals as he seems to do too often.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #62
If GWS offered a 1st round draft pick I'd take it.

He is just so lazy defensively. I'm talking years of watching him. He's definitely better this year but you just can't rely on him and when you're entire game plan is built around defensive pressure it only takes 1 not willing to push up and it falls apart.

His disposal is ineffective in the main....lot of short kicks that go nowhere and its always his 1st option to go short, I think this year has been better than last and he has had some decent games
but I'd agree I'd trade him given a  decent offer. Problem is I dont see many clubs being that interested in him or offering anything of great value. 2011 was his best season but those days of AA form are over and being 29 his best years are behind him. For both him and the club he probably could be better value in a team challenging and us with a decent young player or pick to rebuild with..

Reply #64
Agree, meaning it was neither good nor bad.  The one whinge I must vent is the "doggie chuck".  It's obviously ok to fling the ball over your head under the guise of a 'handball' even though both hands are travelling at the same speed.  ::)

The flick pass was before my time but I know it was outlawed because it blurred the lines between a throw and a handball which was unique to our game. Seems it's back.

Its a plague on the game. All teams do it but the bulldogs have taken throws to a new level. The umpiring all year has been poor. Rules are not being enforced when a chance for play to continue is there. The result is holding the ball and in the back are so inconsistently enforced that avid fans don't understand anymore.

The throwing needs to be clamped, otherwise in a decade throwing will become part of the game.

Reply #65
If there's a white elephant in the room it'd be Weitering's year... he gifted the Dishlickers their 1st two goals, pretty demoralising stuff. Key defenders can't be gifting the opposition goals as he seems to do too often.

Agree...both him and Simpson were very average today IMO....not sure Weitering being played forward has done his game any good...very devoid of confidence that he doesnt attempt many marks and his first option is the easy short sideways kick. When Weitering is taking contested defensive marks he is at his best but that part of his game seems on hold at the minute...

Reply #66
What it is with these 2nd qtr capitulations? ???

It's almost as if the opposition coaches sit back and use the first 15 minutes of the game as a 'sighter'.  Move this player there, shark to Kruezer's taps, turn up the pressure on the forward line (knowing we'll turn it over), and ... checkmate.

We were uncharacteristically tentative today. The boys didn't seem to have the confidence or self-belief to take the bold option. Ball movement was glacial which was disappointing. Hope Bolton's desire for "system and process" is not at the expense of flair and creativity.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #67
It's almost as if the opposition coaches sit back and use the first 15 minutes of the game as a 'sighter'.  Move this player there, shark to Kruezer's taps, turn up the pressure on the forward line (knowing we'll turn it over), and ... checkmate.

We were uncharacteristically tentative today. The boys didn't seem to have the confidence or self-belief to take the bold option. Ball movement was glacial which was disappointing. Hope Bolton's desire for "system and process" is not at the expense of flair and creativity.
I don't know, they looked tired to me, from the outset- last weeks game was punishing and of course they should be at a standard where they can put in week after week but they are a young side.

Doesn't help when you're good senior players have stinkers either.

Casbolts miss in the last was just unacceptable. I like him and want him to succeed but just unacceptable. If that hadve gone thru we would've had a sniff.

Reply #68
What it is with these 2nd qtr capitulations? ???

It's all about variety. Just something different to those 3rd qtr capitulations we used to have..lol.

Reply #69
Yes indeed. They were two howlers. Then again, that's the same number of errors that are in the title of this thread.  Thought he did all right after that.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #70
It's all about variety. Just something different to those 3rd qtr capitulations we used to have..lol.

Nailed it  :)

Reply #71
What hurt alot was those late goals the Dogs got at the end of the 3rd qtr. A manageable 14pts quickly become 26 at 3/4 time. We could save ourselves a few goals a game is we looked after things in red time.

Reply #72
I don't know, they looked tired to me, from the outset- last weeks game was punishing and of course they should be at a standard where they can put in week after week but they are a young side.

Doesn't help when you're good senior players have stinkers either.

Casbolts miss in the last was just unacceptable. I like him and want him to succeed but just unacceptable. If that hadve gone thru we would've had a sniff.

...which lifts everyone's spirits, ...when he misses such an easy one at a crucial stage you can almost visibly see the collective shoulders slump. He seems to make a habit of that...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #73

We are not going to be successful until we can start hitting the scoreboard........ it's been a problem for a while now.  ( obviously Casboult missing from 15 mtrs out when the game is on the line doesn't help but we are still not capable of kicking winning scores )
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #74

We are not going to be successful until we can start hitting the scoreboard........ it's been a problem for a while now.  ( obviously Casboult missing from 15 mtrs out when the game is on the line doesn't help but we are still not capable of kicking winning scores )
I don't think Bolts has said we have the cattle to get us a premierships now, unfortunately rebuilds take time and we have the defence set now pretty much so time to turn our attention to other deficiencies. Goal kicking being the glaring one.

casbolt can look so good when he takes marks but boy that kick on goal was a gimme - unacceptable to miss that. Every once in a while that happening well you say crap happens, unfortunately it is too c ommon. Feel sorry for the bloke but he hadn't done a big chase down so was puffed, he hadn't been stretched much, there was no reason he should've missed that. None.