Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game-Carlton v Collingwood (Read 16390 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game-Carlton v Collingwood

Reply #15
It's pretty obvious our games at the moment are more mental challenges.
If we come switched on we can cause concerns for most teams.

But we're at a level of ability that we cant afford to be the least bit "off"..otherwise we get "First half Freo"

That attitude is hard to maintain for a young side...but it has to be the baseline, the least that's acceptable.
That's the challenge for the rest of the season

Reply #16
Looked to me like we were playing to minimise the damage rather than win the game. How do you explain playing a 5 man forward line against this mob? Looks like Bolton is in survival mode.
Still they did have a decent crack at least. Completely knackered by Q4. Injuries curse continue to hurt us.

Reply #17
Looked to me like we were playing to minimise the damage rather than win the game. How do you explain playing a 5 man forward line against this mob? Looks like Bolton is in survival mode.
Still they did have a decent crack at least. Completely knackered by Q4. Injuries curse continue to hurt us.

Not sure if it was pre planned or losing Casboult made us change our plans...given our lack of strike power we obviously function better with the extra man back and prefer the game
played in a more dogged manner where we dont suffer as much on the rebound from turnovers. Doesnt make good viewing but it does as you say limit the damage and if it was pre planned I dont expect it to change for the rest of the season. Bolton has got another two years IMO, there are no coaching messiahs out there and we have to stick to the same path for a while unless we get some big name players in who can win us games which is doubtful..

Reply #18
Stick Lukosious in that side at CHF to give something else to kick at and it might have been closer.  

Matty Wright missing again today,  can't see us deviating from this game plan until we strengthen our list dramatically.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #19
Stick Lukosious in that side at CHF to give something else to kick at and it might have been closer.  

Matty Wright missing again today,  can't see us deviating from this game plan until we strengthen our list dramatically.

Same here, and Harry McKay had another ordinary game in the VFL by all reports.
I thought that with Casboult injured in the pre match we would have played Silvagni as a more or less permanent forward but we obviously have other things planned for him, Pickett kicked 3 in the VFL and at least he's quick.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #20

Yes, no doubt. I think the damage limitation style is absolutely and unfortunately for now, the right way to go. Being in the contest, or not too far out, reads a lot better than a 10 goal flogging. Bolton's attempt to add an offensive layer has backfired badly, and I suspect both coaches and players are at fault. I have no issue with shoot out, sling shot footy, so long as both teams are doing it. With us, it is, as Lethal said after the 85 GF, "like trying to fight a war without weapons."

I'd much prefer to see this style than a 60 point shellacking.

Reply #21
Quite the likeness!

Reply #22
Highlight of the year,  awesome to see those photos side by side.

Contrary to what some peanuts believe,  he's worth every cent.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #24
O'Shea, should never be allowed to play for Carlton again. I know Williamson can't play but he would have been the match up for Stevenson if not injured and we stop an avenue to goal.

Mullet did one good thing for the game and that was it.

Poulson, did not understand why he was resigned, however liked his toughness as he appear to be knocked out early in the game, he got up and staggered a bit, next couple of minutes he's chasing and tackling with intent. While he's not good around the ball yet at this level, I did like the attack on the man, it gives him a a starting place for next week.

Garlett, I so want him to be better. Started the game off better but still doesn't run hard enough to make up ground when chasing and I've seen the speed before. He needs to run like there is no tomorrow and basically die as he has a rest, then recover and go again.

Dow, he gets tougher each game, great feel around the contest and disposal is getting better, that tackle on Pendlebury at the end of the game was very nice, locked the wrist and didn't let go. If he's doing that at 18 then again a few more seasons and look out. I noticed him cruising behind Treloar in the second and that was highlighted by the commentators. I thought they were lining up to give him a whack, but the explained that what the difference between 7 per seasons and 1, well really is half, as the rookies come late and they are on a modified program.

SPS, I notice that some are saying he wants to play bruise free footy, ... I must be watching a different game, he goes in and gets the ball when needed to but today we had Cripps and Kennedy as well as Jack around the ball, he still went through when it was his turn and there is a difference from not wanting to be hurt to trying to evade the opposition.

Kennedy, first half he was going full on much the same as his first half anaginst Richmond, then he looked stuffed which is understandable in the second half. Very happy to see Matt up and going.

Charlie, jet, gun, outstanding.

Cripps see above.

Rowe, I feel for poor Sam, again the poor commentators were comparing him to Grundy saying he can't go with him, well no sh1t sherlock, he's a big, wrestling backman against a ruckman who's in his prime and in form and due to injuries has to move to Full Forward then into the ruck where his back up was Jack.

Fisher, typical game, I want to see a few variations to his game now, we all know he can go and get it inside then sweep to his left, this will be caught soon, and while that blind turn was very nice looking at his size it will be held more often than not. I just want to see a baulk to the left then a cut inside on the right opening up the field a bit more.

This needs to be our minimum effort all the time, attack on the ball and player were probably the best all year, more changes next week with Plowman and Kruezer out means we have to face Ryder with Phillips and Gray without a proper match up either and probably no Daisy as well. Does not bode well for Simmos 300th.

Reply #25
Pickett, I so want him to be better. Started the game off better but still doesn't run hard enough to make up ground when chasing and I've seen the speed before. He needs to run like there is no tomorrow and basically die as he has a rest, then recover and go again.

I'm assuming this was meant to be Garlett?

Reply #26
yep and fixed  ;)

Reply #27
Having Kennedy up and running sure helps Cripps. Allowed Cripps to rest forward at times and kick 3 goals.

Reply #28
This needs to be our minimum effort all the time, attack on the ball and player were probably the best all year, more changes next week with Plowman and Kruezer out means we have to face Ryder with Phillips and Gray without a proper match up either and probably no Daisy as well. Does not bode well for Simmos 300th.
Or does Lobbe play against his old side? How will OShea fair against his old mob?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #29
Or does Lobbe play against his old side? How will OShea fair against his old mob?

How can O'Shea play against Port, are they changing league to the VFL next week?