Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 14: Post Game Palliative care: Carlton vs Richmond (Read 28629 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 14: Post Game Palliative care: Carlton vs Richmond

Reply #105
They played two games where they put in a very good effort.
Maintaining that effort week after week is just not possible.
It's why a side has never gone through undefeated in the history of the game.
Even our 1995 premiership side (possibly our best ever "team") had a couple of down games.
Now when youré a side in development these "down games" occur more frequently.
It's hard for youngsters to be consistent.
I wouldn't be surprised that at some level we aren't actually targeting those games where we have less chance of winning and using them to manage players or give a few blokes a final chance.
That game earlier in the season where we played a heap of youngsters could have been such an example...."We're not likely to win....give them all a run and see what they come up with"...Unfortunately that one backfired.

And this is where I will respectfully, yet strongly, disagree with you. It is possible, in fact it is the stuff of sustained excellence and success. Excellence abhors failure.

Good sides can struggle, even be well down, yet find a way to win. This is a gladiatorial sport, which requires certain unique character and ability. We were reminded yesterday just how far off the pace we are, how ordinary we are. We're hit with a few injuries and fold up. Excuses and justifications are fast running out for poor efforts. When we excuse or rationalise poor performances, we allow them.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #106
And this is where I will respectfully, yet strongly, disagree with you. It is possible, in fact it is the stuff of sustained excellence and success. Excellence abhors failure.

Good sides can struggle, even be well down, yet find a way to win. This is a gladiatorial sport, which requires certain unique character and ability. We were reminded yesterday just how far off the pace we are, how ordinary we are. We're hit with a few injuries and fold up. Excuses and justifications are fast running out for poor efforts. When we excuse or rationalise poor performances, we allow them.

Agree with Lods, coming up week after week in a H & A season is nigh impossible without a downer.  And that's for a strong side. Otherwise sides would go through undefeated.

A young side building, like ours, will have many downers. Part of the process. Thing is it was as bad as we've played for a while yet we were still in the game for much of it. We are always at least competitive. We have to be accepting the young, building sides will some weeks not come up. We're all happy when we win, or even when we have a really good performance but supporters generally, for all sides, tend to sook like hell if their side has an odd bad game. Everyone is useless or no good, the sides no good, yet all is quickly forgiven if/when they win the next week. It's like supporters struggle to want to take the good with the bad hence lose perspective.

Reply #107
Depends whether you seek excellence or excuses; whether you tolerate mediocrity or are uncompromising.

Nah you are right we should cut corners again, pay people under the table, trade away draft picks for saviours, hire old out of date coaches, because, we want to win a meaningless game in June.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #109
Agree with Lods, coming up week after week in a H & A season is nigh impossible without a downer.  And that's for a strong side. Otherwise sides would go through undefeated.

A young side building, like ours, will have many downers. Part of the process. Thing is it was as bad as we've played for a while yet we were still in the game for much of it. We are always at least competitive. We have to be accepting the young, building sides will some weeks not come up. We're all happy when we win, or even when we have a really good performance but supporters generally, for all sides, tend to sook like hell if their side has an odd bad game. Everyone is useless or no good, the sides no good, yet all is quickly forgiven if/when they win the next week. It's like supporters struggle to want to take the good with the bad hence lose perspective.

We were not remotely competitive yesterday after Q1.

The Tigers should have been ahead by 50 odd by half time....fact.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #110
A small question for those footy boffins among us - why did we only have 69 rotations yesterday ? I would have thought being one man down we needed to max it out to 90, to give blokes as much of a breather as possible.

Reply #111

But that's the whole point Baggers.
We're not a good side...we're a mediocre side on the rise.
When we are a good side we'll be able to maintain it for 18-20 weeks a season.
At the moment just putting a couple together is an achievement.

Reply #112
I thought Jones did OK, given he was on probably his toughest opponent so far, Jack "The Beggar" Riewoldt.

Hard for the defense to do much more than they did, especially given how easily and quickly Nthmond transitioned the ball.

Basha "The Basher" Houli lived up to his name.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #113
We won 2 qtrs yesterday... plenty to improve on, we had too many spuds out there, but it isn't worth a temper tantrum.

Reply #114
A small question for those footy boffins among us - why did we only have 69 rotations yesterday ? I would have thought being one man down we needed to max it out to 90, to give blokes as much of a breather as possible.

I think Ed Curnow had some question marks over him too as well as Lachie Plowman at times.

We didn't run out the game well at all after the absence of Jed Lamb.

For me the effort wasnt what was lacking, what was lacking was the ability to have clear thinking under pressure.  We made some extremely poor decisions, multiple players "heard footsteps" and then missed the ball drop, and we looked like we were going at half rat power.

We do need to be mindful that despite all of this, our opposition had actually put a lot of time into dismantling our zone and kicking through it.  This is a great learning experience for all of our blokes, and Im not as dissapointed as everyone else because I thought we were due (maybe even overdue) for a dissapointing week.  Once you remove the enthusiasm of youth (somewhat) and replace with blokes trying to play for their careers, you end up with blokes who are not going to back their ability with confidence.

Food for thought, we were pretty crap yesterday and still won half the game against a side that is eyeing off a top 4 finish given where they are currently at.  We are on the right path.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #115

Food for thought, we were pretty crap yesterday and still won half the game against a side that is eyeing off a top 4 finish given where they are currently at.  We are on the right path.

That's more of a reflection on how good ( or not so good ? ) Richmond are... a decent side would have buried us by halftime.

If Pickett takes that mark and goals we are 11 points down with 12 minutes to go and we all know how Richmond handle a tight finish ;)

I Know.. We should've could've would've ........ GRRRRRRR
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #116
That's more of a reflection on how good ( or not so good ? ) Richmond are... a decent side would have buried us by halftime.

If Pickett takes that mark and goals we are 11 points down with 12 minutes to go and we all know how Richmond handle a tight finish ;)

I must admit at that point Max I was fantasising about the Tiggers choking again and  snatching another defeat from the jaws of victory. Ah well, not to be this time and I had to put up with witnessing the unbridled joy of the Tigger faithful at the final siren  :(
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #117
I must admit at that point Max I was fantasising about the Tiggers choking again and  snatching another defeat from the jaws of victory. Ah well, not to be this time and I had to put up with witnessing the unbridled joy of the Tigger faithful at the final siren  :(

I sent a text off at 3 quarter time to three mates saying we don't deserve this but I can sense another Richmond choke... My Collingwood and Essendon mates replied straight away saying they were hoping for it... funnily enough my Richmond mate didn't reply until the 25 minute mark of the last telling me to go and get f.......... :D
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #118
I sent a text off at 3 quarter time to three mates saying we don't deserve this but I can sense another Richmond choke... My Collingwood and Essendon mates replied straight away saying they were hoping for it... funnily enough my Richmond mate didn't reply until the 25 minute mark of the last telling me to go and get f.......... :D
:))
Yep, they're never sure until that final siren blows!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #119

As much as we love to laugh at the tiges, they are one of the best teams this year. Their goal kicking was poor, but we missed some easy ones too. Bolton was clear some time back that this season is about developing consistent 4 quarter efforts. We haven't been too bad in this regard. Last year was focussed on strong team defence and were are seeing the fruits of that effort.  Next year will see an effort toward scoring.

I didn't think we were too bad, just had a gaggle of lesser players making little contribution. That's going to happen. Its fortunately happening less this year than last.