Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 37766 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 22: Post Game Peace? Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #105
The best thing about Murphy's recent form is that he's doing it without cover from Cripps and Curnow, he's an outstanding player and Captain who often doesn't get enough credit from supporters.

I think that Murphy is enjoying having team mates who, although they may be in their first or second season, don't mind getting physical with the opposition, and particularly when someone tries to rough up the skipper.  Samo is one bloke who seems to like watching Murphy's back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #106
The best thing about Murphy's recent form is that he's doing it without cover from Cripps and Curnow, he's an outstanding player and Captain who often doesn't get enough credit from supporters.
I have been critical of his leadership at times this year [eg Lions game] but to be fair on the weekend he was excellent. I think I read the other day has polled in the coaches votes in about 14-15 games this year which is a very consistent effort.

The big difference on the weekend was we had a very good spread of contributors. SOJ and Cas were very quiet, and Smedts played half a game but had a game high 8 tackles by that time - other than that we had even contributions across the ground and probably career or season best games from Pickett, Fisher, Lamb, Boek & Bryne. Weitering, Samo, Charlie and Plow were all very good as well, and Willo played his role and used it well. So a lot ticks for the young brigade.

It makes the job of the senior guys a lot easier when we spread the load more. Kerridge has also stepped up, and the Hawk midfield these days is not as hard as it used to be, which also suits our game. 

Reply #107
Not our problem, but Hawthorn will miss Hodge far more than they missed Lewis or Mitchell.  They will suddenly become very vulnerable down back with no General / Protector.  Memo to James S: You'll be on your own, son! Good luck!!

Reply #108
Not our problem, but Hawthorn will miss Hodge far more than they missed Lewis or Mitchell.  They will suddenly become very vulnerable down back with no General / Protector.  Memo to James S: You'll be on your own, son! Good luck!!

Gibson as well, the Hawks are in for a few lean years but if I was a supporter I'd take it.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #109
The best part of winning on Saturday was listening to the Hawthorn supporters complaining about Carlton's unsociable football. Their supporter base will drop off very quickly.

Reply #110
Hawks since the bye - some very decent scalps...and we kept them to their 2nd lowest score in that patch! Kudos lads!!!

Round 14 Thursday, June 22
ADEL v HAW
Adelaide Crows12.10 (82)
Hawthorn14.12 (96)   

Round 15 Sunday, July 02
HAW v COLL
Hawthorn18.10 (118)
Collingwood14.10 (94)   

Round 16 Saturday, July 08
HAW v GWS
Hawthorn14.13 (97)
GWS Giants15.7 (97)   

Round 17 Saturday, July 15
GEEL v HAW
Geelong Cats13.10 (88)
Hawthorn12.13 (85)   

Round 18 Saturday, July 22
FRE v HAW
Fremantle7.6 (48)
Hawthorn15.10 (100)   

Round 19 Friday, July 28
HAW v SYD
Hawthorn10.12 (72)
Sydney Swans9.12 (66)   

Round 20 Sunday, August 06
RICH v HAW
Richmond13.15 (93)
Hawthorn9.10 (64)   

Round 21 Sunday, August 13
HAW v NMFC
Hawthorn18.8 (116)
North Melbourne14.5 (89)   

Round 22 Saturday, August 19
CARL v HAW
Carlton12.5 (77)
Hawthorn10.10 (70)   
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #111
Yes agree fly. A fair effort however you look at it.

Reply #112
The best part of winning on Saturday was listening to the Hawthorn supporters complaining about Carlton's unsociable football. Their supporter base will drop off very quickly.

:))

Pot, kettle!!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #113
Just on that, and in particular the unsociable football role Lamb played, I nearly fell off the couch yesterday afternoon while watching the Sunday Footy Show when Kane Cornes of all people started to pot Lamb for his tactics. Geeezus talk about pot, kettle, black zone. He was the biggest in that department than any other PA player on record. What a hypocrite/flog.

Reply #114
Just on that, and in particular the unsociable football role Lamb played, I nearly fell off the couch yesterday afternoon while watching the Sunday Footy Show when Kane Cornes of all people started to pot Lamb for his tactics. Geeezus talk about pot, kettle, black zone. He was the biggest in that department than any other PA player on record. What a hypocrite/flog.

Likewise.

Cornes repeatedly saying when trying to justify is puny point...'it's just not a good look...' words fail me, hang on, no they don't - Kane 'C0ckhead' Cornes!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #115
Likewise.

Cornes repeatedly saying when trying to justify is puny point...'it's just not a good look...' words fail me, hang on, no they don't - Kane 'C0ckhead' Cornes!

Since when has Citizen Kane become so concerned about the aesthetics of the game?? What a buffoon......  ::) ::)

Reply #116
Since when has Citizen Kane become so concerned about the aesthetics of the game?? What a buffoon......  ::) ::)

:)) Yep.

Hang on... hear that? It's Orson Welles bellowing from the heavens... 'bound to be a c0ckhead somewhere who degraded the name, Kane.'
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #117
:))

Pot, kettle!!

Clarkson in his press conf was starting to whinge about Sicily not getting free kicks! Even he acknowledged that was a bit rich coming from the dawks. Amazing that he would even come close to complaining about rough treatment to a team with Luke Hodge in it.

Anyway... their problems are many.... Hodge & Gibson definitely gone.

Next year:

Burgoyne 36
Roughead 31
Frawley 30
Birchall 30
Smith 30
Stratton 29
Puopolo 30
Henderson 29
Cyril 29

Dad's army. I'd don't think there's much point in going on with Burgoyne. What's the point in keeping a 36 y.o. when you're miles off it?

They are so far off their bottom out yet they've already dropped off a cliff. Made worse by trading out all their draft picks for 2 years for a bloke with 1 balsa wood knee and Mitchell... good player but not the most damaging. At a time when they needed to be realistic about their list and aggressively trade out for draft picks just like they did when they built their good team.

Let's hope they trade out more picks this offseason. Will set their next premiership window back another 2 or 3 years.

Reply #118
:)) Yep.

Hang on... hear that? It's Orson Welles bellowing from the heavens... 'bound to be a c0ckhead somewhere who degraded the name, Kane.'

Yep, Kane is not Able so to speak!

Reply #119
Clarkson in his press conf was starting to whinge about Sicily not getting free kicks! Even he acknowledged that was a bit rich coming from the dawks. Amazing that he would even come close to complaining about rough treatment to a team with Luke Hodge in it.

I think his comments are fair enough. The AFL made noises earlier in the season about penalizing the aggressor rather than the recipient, but as it always is with the AFL, they went off the boil on that pretty quickly.

Sicily was certainly entitled to a few frees. I thought Clarkson was honest and open in his presser.