Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO (Read 48977 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #2: Carlton vs. Collingwood at QEO

Reply #90
Is it possible that Levi's kicking is getting worse? I think it is......

It's a concern that internationals coming into the game seem to be able to adapt at a far greater rate than Levi. I was at MM's first training session and the player he singled out first was Levi and it was related to his kicking.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #91
If Boekhorst was an 18 year old we'd be unzipping our flies. But from where he stands ATM he's still a genuine prospect. Will play rnd 1 and I hope he tears it up.

Yep - agree with this. He's got something about him that I really like & has me most enthused......totally looks like he belongs out there, doesn't look at all overawed & as the season progresses, reckon we'll get to see what a shrewd selection he was.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #92
Certainly a bit more to like this week than the first outing.  Some more experience in the middle made a big difference, with Judd and Carrazzo playing well. Judd especially went pretty hard at times, seems to be enjoying the game.   A fit Carrazzo for the season will improve our chances a great deal.

Yarran was great, but he is going to have a serious tag on him most games and will have to work hard to get free. KJ will definitely play round 1, he looks like he belongs out there, with poise and good disposal too.

I must say the pies looked pretty ordinary and could be in for a long season.  They have some players that promise but we had a lot more possessions,  despite mucking it up a bit at times.

As other posts have mentioned, our rucks are a problem. Casbolt is not tall enough to really compete at throw-ins so it does leave a gap.  I don't see this as too big an issue over a season though as few teams seem to have the ruck situation settled in the era of a substitute and three on the bench. Two pure rucks is one too many, but a back up during games is needed. In our case Warnock is not going to get much better, but Wood has limitations too.  I tend to think that rucks are a little over-rated anyway. Yes our rucks are average but fewer turnovers in the midfield is going to make a bigger difference.

And finally, those torps that Jamison booted twice kicking out were something! Not always the best option and it is only for the odd time when team mates know what is going on, but when they work they can be spectacular.

Reply #93
Everitt did the same thing in last year's NAB Cup marking strongly and looking every bit a dangerous forward, yet we rarely saw him there in the season proper. Hopefully that changes this year. A little disappointing to see Watto who requires 'belief' dropped to the reserves after one game again. Much of the same for him again this year.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #94
Wasn't that MM's first win over the arch enemy? :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #95
Certainly a bit more to like this week than the first outing.  Some more experience in the middle made a big difference, with Judd and Carrazzo playing well. Judd especially went pretty hard at times, seems to be enjoying the game.   A fit Carrazzo for the season will improve our chances a great deal.

Yarran was great, but he is going to have a serious tag on him most games and will have to work hard to get free. KJ will definitely play round 1, he looks like he belongs out there, with poise and good disposal too.

I must say the pies looked pretty ordinary and could be in for a long season.  They have some players that promise but we had a lot more possessions,  despite mucking it up a bit at times.

As other posts have mentioned, our rucks are a problem. Casbolt is not tall enough to really compete at throw-ins so it does leave a gap.  I don't see this as too big an issue over a season though as few teams seem to have the ruck situation settled in the era of a substitute and three on the bench. Two pure rucks is one too many, but a back up during games is needed. In our case Warnock is not going to get much better, but Wood has limitations too.  I tend to think that rucks are a little over-rated anyway. Yes our rucks are average but fewer turnovers in the midfield is going to make a bigger difference.

And finally, those torps that Jamison booted twice kicking out were something! Not always the best option and it is only for the odd time when team mates know what is going on, but when they work they can be spectacular.

If we are going to be down in the ruck department our mids need to learn how to rove to the opposition's ruck, or at least nullify the advantage of by playing close to the opposition getting spoon-fed the ball. I see Cripps as this sort of player. Really good mids are able to do this. A good ruckman in a lesser side will not have as many hitouts to advantage...

Reply #96
I flew down from Qld. yesterday for a look at this one.

Overall a pretty good effort I reckon. Most of it ha been covered in previous posts, but my real concern is our rucks.
Warnock is not up to it and now has a shoulder injury. Apparantly not series but a shoulder injury is always a problem for ruckmen.

Our best I reckon were Judd, Carrazzo, Yarran, Jamison, Jaksch, Simpson, White.
Cripps and Boekhorst should be in round 1 with Tutt a possibility.
I spent most of my money on Women and grog.
The rest I just wasted.

Reply #97

Yes

Btw.....just to reiterate a few other posts, thought Jaksch was okay against WC, but geez, we've all gotta be happy with what he produced y'day. An outstanding pick-up imo for the type of player he is. Allows the likes of White to play more of floating role at either end of the ground, where I reckon he can be a real weapon.

Clem Smith is finding the going a bit tough I reckon.....way off the pace of the game.

Really happy with Carrazzo as well.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #98
What a difference a Judd makes :D

He could probably have a rest next week though.

Reply #99
Everitt did the same thing in last year's NAB Cup marking strongly and looking every bit a dangerous forward, yet we rarely saw him there in the season proper. Hopefully that changes this year. A little disappointing to see Watto who requires 'belief' dropped to the reserves after one game again. Much of the same for him again this year.

True about Everitt, but MM played him as a tagger for a good chunk of the season which makes it hard to have an impact up forward!

Sounds like the Werribee game had more intensity than the Collingwood game, things got a bit heated apparently, was Patch Adams playing for Werribee that would explain it?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
a good win to have!
good to see those import talls taking a grab.
Good not to have the anxiety of Waite, limping or being silly.

Reply #101
Only got to see the second half so far, and in reality, if the pies had taken their chances they would have won.  Our avenues to goal still look limited to me, the ball spent 80% of the time in the Collingwood half of the ground.  We really need to develop a hard-working half-forward line, beacuse we always seem to get stuck around the wings.  2 goals in a second half of footy isn't going to win too many matches....

Maybe I better watch the first 20 minutes to get re-invigorated?
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #102

Too much of a difference IMO......when he retires we will go backwards bigtime unless we get another
A grade leader/player to fill the gap he will leave.

Reply #103

Yes

Btw.....just to reiterate a few other posts, thought Jaksch was okay against WC, but geez, we've all gotta be happy with what he produced y'day. An outstanding pick-up imo for the type of player he is. Allows the likes of White to play more of floating role at either end of the ground, where I reckon he can be a real weapon.

Clem Smith is finding the going a bit tough I reckon.....way off the pace of the game.

Really happy with Carrazzo as well.

Smith will be ok...just trying too hard and ball chasing rather than reading the play...

Reply #104

Too much of a difference IMO......when he retires we will go backwards bigtime unless we get another
A grade leader/player to fill the gap he will leave.

I'm sure that will be one of the club's highest priorities EB?
Reality always wins in the end.