Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide (Read 7857 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2021 Rd 15: Carlton vs Adelaide

Reply #90
Williams was an idiot.  But he was at least "upfront" about his reckless actions.  Still doesn't excuse it at all.

Not seen the Selwood but he's an out and out dog so what else do you expect?

Reply #91
Some pretty ordinary footage of Zac Williams doing the rounds showing him dragging an Adelaide player off one of our blokes and slamming his head into the fake turf on the boundary line. It happened during the Weitering mallee, be very lucky if it doesnt get looked at.

Is the Williams incident all that different to the Crows player jumping on the prone Stocker and driving his head into the ground?

Even if it is, it's certainly not as bad or as dangerous as the hit on Weitering that caused the melee.  Flogarty should have been suspended  >:(
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #92
How does Plowman get suspended and Fogarty get off?

The MRP is a joke, it needs to go, or at the bare minimum it needs a new set of officials running it.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
If Plowman went then Fogarty has to go, no attempt at marking/playing the ball,  just smashed him.  But then again,  Buddy just got off for the umpteenth time  - the MRO office is clearly so comprised it's just ridiculous now.  So much for the concept of a level playing field.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #94
I’m surprised Williams only got one week for that. Dirty act and while I was rapt they flew the flag for once, that action is never acceptable and a really bad look. 
When you consider the week he has had and finally performing to get the media off his back for a week he does something to put himself and our under siege club back in the gun
Dumb!

Reply #95
Agreed,  but there's blokes at two prominent clubs that have been doing like acts for years.   Question I have is,  why are the rules so selectively applied?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #96
I think the players should all put in to a kitty at the start of the year ( sliding scale depending on your salary) to accumulate $30-40,000 to cover any fines occurred when you are supporting your mates. Anything left over gets rolled over or used for a few end of year beers. You shouldn’t be penalized for sticking up for your teammate!!

Reply #97
So for all this supposed Carlton hate by the MRO, this year we have had 3 suspensions, Plowman once and Williams twice. On both occasions, Williams was a dill and deserved what he got, Plowman we all know has been debated to death and opinions vary. I searched for a list of suspensions for recent seasons and couldn't find any but I'll bet we dont figure prominently in those figures. I think we need to removed the Blue Goggles when we look at these things, look at the presented reasoning and be objective. I'll say it again for the sake of it, the notion that the AFL, through the Umps, MRO and Tribunals, are out to get us is utter nonsense  IMO.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #98
So for all this supposed Carlton hate by the MRO, this year we have had 3 suspensions, Plowman once and Williams twice. On both occasions, Williams was a dill and deserved what he got, Plowman we all know has been debated to death and opinions vary. I searched for a list of suspensions for recent seasons and couldn't find any but I'll bet we dont figure prominently in those figures. I think we need to removed the Blue Goggles when we look at these things, look at the presented reasoning and be objective. I'll say it again for the sake of it, the notion that the AFL, through the Umps, MRO and Tribunals, are out to get us is utter nonsense  IMO.

Yes, I tend to agree. I don't really understand those who seem to be on 24/7 injustice / unfairness alert. If you've spent time on other supporter forums, there is a subset in every supporter group who will swear that they have hard, objective evidence that the AFL / umps / media hates their team and is out to get them. I've had to stop discussing this with my Richmond mate because we'll end up falling out. He claims (quite correctly) that the Tigers have one of the worst frees against record, I've told him that maybe those free kicks are warranted. That never goes down well.

Reply #99

I'm with you on this. Too many bang on and on about this.

However the media on the other hand.....they bias is much more questionable 

We got 50/50 decisions go against us early against crows but then the umpires seemed to enjoy as much as the crowd Cripps run 30 metres before kicking a team lifting goal. Calling that too far and having the goal disallowed would have been very deflating and was worth more to us then the soft frees crows got early.

If Walters is allowed to do the same this week when game is in the balance and crowd goes mad we will be wanting an inquiry.   

Reply #100
How does Plowman get suspended and Fogarty get off?

The MRP is a joke, it needs to go, or at the bare minimum it needs a new set of officials running it.
I lost confidence in the present process a long time ago. I am not saying that there is bias towards certain clubs and against others, no matter how well that might correlate. Never consider something enemy action if incompetence explains the same phenomenon.

To be honest, and not using my own affiliation as a bias, a (poorly) trained chimpanzee could do a better job than the present system.

I am quite happy about things that are consistent. That is not what we are getting.

In a way, I am probably stupid. I expect similar outcomes from similar actions. That hasn't been the case in my life time, so why should I expect it now? The present system awards outcomes resulting from the level of injury it causes. It has nothing to do with the actions or intentions of the player(s) involved. In that way I am amazed that Adelaide's McKay got off.

Fogarty's behaviour was an act of incredible stupidity that should have been sanctioned, of that there is no doubt. It was clearly deliberate and, just as obvious, was the intent to injure Weitering. Yet, because Weitering returns to the game, there is no suspension. Incredible.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #101
I lost confidence in the present process a long time ago. I am not saying that there is bias towards certain clubs and against others, no matter how well that might correlate. Never consider something enemy action if incompetence explains the same phenomenon.

To be honest, and not using my own affiliation as a bias, a (poorly) trained chimpanzee could do a better job than the present system.

I am quite happy about things that are consistent. That is not what we are getting.

In a way, I am probably stupid. I expect similar outcomes from similar actions. That hasn't been the case in my life time, so why should I expect it now? The present system awards outcomes resulting from the level of injury it causes. It has nothing to do with the actions or intentions of the player(s) involved. In that way I am amazed that Adelaide's McKay got off.

Fogarty's behaviour was an act of incredible stupidity that should have been sanctioned, of that there is no doubt. It was clearly deliberate and, just as obvious, was the intent to injure Weitering. Yet, because Weitering returns to the game, there is no suspension. Incredible.
Come on mate, incredible stupidy? It was clumsy at best.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/video/afl/afl/questionable-hit-sparks-fiery-brawl!804949
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #102
Plenty of videos about showing the same action from a crows player on Stocker (head also hits the fake grass) and the cats player on Cameron.

We always seem to be on the wrong end of these calls. Selwood stuck his hands into someone's eyes last week, buddy hit someone high again, thw same action by two other players in the same week attracts no report. What's really going on here?
What happened to my old profile?????

Reply #103
There has never been, and there never will be, any system that will be considered unbiased, fair, consistent etc., in anything that involves assessing human actions, intentions etc. Whatever replaces the current MRO / umpiring system will be similarly mired in controversy, accusations of bias, incompetence, unfairness etc. You try and improve things, and you work towards noble ends, but you will never get there.

Reply #104
But it's good to b!tch sometimes. :))