Skip to main content
Topic: Carlton vs North Melbourne (Read 45612 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Carlton vs North Melbourne

Reply #135
Yep he has improvements to make - cannot see McInnes ahead. Looked terrible on the weekend and Bootsma was better - Im talking the last qtr in particular for Boots. White is handy, lacks a yard off the mark but is probably going to give us more both back and forward thus allowing the likes of Everitt and Walker to be freed up a bit. Is he in our best 22? Maybe.

Unfortunately Everitt will have to possibly play 3rd tall but him playing 3rd tall deep is not ideal. Not that strong one on one. He and Walks are better running and moving around. That's their strength.

Reply #136
Yep he has improvements to make - cannot see McInnes ahead. Looked terrible on the weekend and Bootsma was better - Im talking the last qtr in particular for Boots. White is handy, lacks a yard off the mark but is probably going to give us more both back and forward thus allowing the likes of Everitt and Walker to be freed up a bit. Is he in our best 22? Maybe.

Unfortunately Everitt will have to possibly play 3rd tall but him playing 3rd tall deep is not ideal. Not that strong one on one. He and Walks are better running and moving around. That's their strength.
I don't disgaree with anything you've said there. I was also talking about McInnes more generally based on last years end of season form rather than the weekend specifically. He went through a purple patch when he came back from injury late in the H&A rounds, but was very ordinary vs Richmond. I think the feeling was he ran out of steam due to the injury and no preseason, but would be back to his best this year. He didn't do much on the weekend other than run into Petrie, so its hard assess where he is right now in the pecking order, but I do remember MM praising him at the end of last year.

Like you I am a 'maybe' on White - he's a real competitor, tough and uncompromising, which I love. But his lack of agility and speed are however hard to rectify and cover, but he does have versatility to go up forward that McInnes and Bootsma don't yet have. Given how important run out defense is in the modern game, and MM's gameplan, I think he will struggle to be in our best 22.

Reply #137
There is 1 bloke who I reckon is not getting anywhere near enough recognition for his contribution so far, and that is the junkyard dog himself Dean Laidley, he was the epitome of the shinboner spirit at North and he has now brought that with him to the Blues and I reckoned we out Northed North in the way our midfield went about it on Saturday. Laidley deserves a fair bit of credit for that I reckon, and it can only be good for us going forward !!
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #138
There is 1 bloke who I reckon is not getting anywhere near enough recognition for his contribution so far, and that is the junkyard dog himself Dean Laidley, he was the epitome of the shinboner spirit at North and he has now brought that with him to the Blues and I reckoned we out Northed North in the way our midfield went about it on Saturday. Laidley deserves a fair bit of credit for that I reckon, and it can only be good for us going forward !!
Really :o You spotted all that from a game of touch footy.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #139
Hard to tell the Laidley impact yet, the deal will be how blokes like Bell and Curnow mature.

Surprised to see Curnow break free on the wing, must have got chilli on his ar5e because he has never run so fast! Maybe the "potential" future father in law is keeping him on edge!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #140
Bootsma, while still on the slight side, has definitely put on a bit of meat around the upper body, looked good for it.

Does your TV have one of those 'whacky mirror' screens, 'cos he looked absolutely no different physically, except for some new inkwork on his right forearm....possibly to try to make himself look tougher....I'm trying hard to say that with a straight face.....

Have to agree. Terrible use of the ball as well.

Also agree. Hard to find positives for Bootsma. When up forward looked completely lost. Looked more at home in defence but even then his kicking disposal was not good. Hard to see who he could keep out of the backline!

The Warnock / Wood contest will be really interesting. Wood needs to improve his rucking, especially around the boundary but as a resting ruckman up forward is far more likely to take marks and convert.

Wood is a rookie though so there's no contest.

Reply #141

Wood, assuming he also stays injury free which is not one of his strengths, will be the next player elevated without doubt.

It is only a matter of time.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #142

Wood, assuming he also stays injury free which is not one of his strengths, will be the next player elevated without doubt.

It is only a matter of time.

Tend to agree.....you dont have to be too smart to figure out that Wood was a Malthouse inspired selection and Mick will be pushing up for him to be the next promoted IMO.
My preference is for Luke Reynolds who I think can add something different being a goalkicker as I have said before...hope he plays vs the Crows..

Reply #143
I gotta say...Its premature I know, lost of water to pass under the bridge before an assessment can be proclaimed justified, but trading out Hampson in return for a second rounder that was used to land the big E , whilst covering any benefit Hampson may have provided by selecting Wood via the Rookie draft, might end being a master stroke. Its not as if Wood has to remain injury free the whole season, he just has to be on par with Hampson availability wise for us to brake even in that dept. Hamps doesnt have a outstanding injury free history either.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #144
I gotta say...Its premature I know, lost of water to pass under the bridge before an assessment can be proclaimed justified, but trading out Hampson in return for a second rounder that was used to land the big E , whilst covering any benefit Hampson may have provided by selecting Wood via the Rookie draft, might end being a master stroke. Its not as if Wood has to remain injury free the whole season, he just has to be on par with Hampson availability wise for us to brake even in that dept. Hamps doesnt have a outstanding injury free history either.

We used that pick (indirectly) for Docherty? But let's say it was for Andreas...

For me, a lot depends on how Hammer goes at Richmond and if Warnock continues to be a tapping witch's hat.

If Hammer goes well and Everitt/Docherty go well it will probably be seen as a win/win but if Warnock struggles then it will always be a question of whether we made the right trade. Then again, maybe a Warnock trade doesn't get us the pick that lands us Sam....

Reply #145

We used that pick (indirectly) for Docherty? But let's say it was for Andreas...

For me, a lot depends on how Hammer goes at Richmond and if Warnock continues to be a tapping witch's hat.

If Hammer goes well and Everitt/Docherty go well it will probably be seen as a win/win but if Warnock struggles then it will always be a question of whether we made the right trade. Then again, maybe a Warnock trade doesn't get us the pick that lands us Sam....

A Warnock trade would have been near impossible considering he had about 3 years to go on his contract. Reckon he was never considered. Was always gonna be Hammer, regardless.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #146
What concerns me is that we still kick the ball straight to opp, bomb the ball into our fwdline, only to see the opp run away with the football.Malthouse and co have to change this.1 e.g thouy running through the centre boots it long  and commentator says kicked to no one, i want to see space,forwards leading.

Reply #147
What concerns me is that we still kick the ball straight to opp, bomb the ball into our fwdline, only to see the opp run away with the football.Malthouse and co have to change this.1 e.g thouy running through the centre boots it long  and commentator says kicked to no one, i want to see space,forwards leading.

It was our first hit out mate... Give the players some time to get back into the swing of things..  ;)

Reply #148

A Warnock trade would have been near impossible considering he had about 3 years to go on his contract. Reckon he was never considered. Was always gonna be Hammer, regardless.

IMHO a Warnock trade would have been silly.

No matter how good Hammer could have been, he would still be a barely there proposition as opposed to the other two.  Warnock and Kreuzer if they are competitive or winning their ruck duals, it will go a long way to winning matches.

I dont think that was ever true of Hammer.  The trouble being is that even when he won the ruck dual, it wouldnt necessarily be to our advantage like the other two.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #149

IMHO a Warnock trade would have been silly.

No matter how good Hammer could have been, he would still be a barely there proposition as opposed to the other two.  Warnock and Kreuzer if they are competitive or winning their ruck duals, it will go a long way to winning matches.

I dont think that was ever true of Hammer.  The trouble being is that even when he won the ruck dual, it wouldnt necessarily be to our advantage like the other two.

Couldn't agree more.

3 Leos... this being on the same page stuff is getting spooky!!
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17