Skip to main content
Topic: Collins (Read 18971 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Collins

Reply #60
Elliot was president in 1993...not collins

What is it that you think the secretary/manager does? He was in charge of the salaries. President ultimately signs off on it, but it was collos job

Reply #61
What you say Kruds regarding  1994 may actually be the case.. do you have a link to show that's what happened (Collins dobbed) or is it an educated guess?

I've read a few things about it. I can't remember everything, but no doubt there is something in John Elliots book about it.

Not sure if it is also from the same book, but i seem to recall that the salary cap breaches were so convulted and hard to track down that once it was finally revealed how we breached the cap, they gave Collo a standing ovation!
He was good at what he did, unfortunately what he did got us in trouble big time. :(

Reply #62
What you say Kruds regarding  1994 may actually be the case.. do you have a link to show that's what happened (Collins dobbed) or is it an educated guess?

What do you do in that position?
It's a bit of a dilemma

You go to a new job.
You know that there is information that you have that could affect your old club.

Do you keep it concealed....If it comes to light down the track and you've kept it hidden you're out the door....sacked.
or
Do you go in and say "I know of a problem we have.....How do we fix it?"

Hahaha you are dreaming if you think he was thinking of doing the best thing for someone other than himself. He is a self serving prick.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #63
Hahaha you are dreaming if you think he was thinking of doing the best thing for someone other than himself. He is a self serving prick.

Two points....

Did it play out as Kruddler said?
I'd like to know.

If that's the case then that's exactly what I'm suggesting...he made a very wise personal career choice.

Reply #64
What is it that you think the secretary/manager does? He was in charge of the salaries. President ultimately signs off on it, but it was collos job

I recall Elliott saying he took care of a lot of the aspects of contracts. ;)

Reply #65
Two points....

Did it play out as Kruddler said?
I'd like to know.

If that's the case then that's exactly what I'm suggesting...he made a very wise personal career choice.

Yep, he dobbed us in for something he oversaw, for his own benefit. That's Ian Collins.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #66
Tracked down this from John Elliotts book 'Big Jack: My sporting life'

"Collins, who had been CEO of Carlton up to the end of 1994, knew that in those days all sorts of payments were made outside the system - because he was making them. In 1993, Carltons salary cap figures were known only by Ian Collins.

But at the beginning of 1994, when Collins went to the AFL, the first thing he did was indentify that the Carlton Football Club had breached the salary cap by about $50,000, and fine us. I was absolutely incensed. He had given us no indication of a problem, he had finalised the numbers and nobody else knew them."

In answer to your question Lods...
"I can only surmise he wanted to demonstrate to his new employer that he was no longer looking after the Carlton Football Club."

Reply #67

"Collins, who had been CEO of Carlton up to the end of 1994, knew that in those days all sorts of payments were made outside the system - because he was making them. In 1993, Carltons salary cap figures were known only by Ian Collins.

But at the beginning of 1994, when Collins went to the AFL, the first thing he did was indentify that the Carlton Football Club had breached the salary cap by about $50,000, and fine us. I was absolutely incensed. He had given us no indication of a problem, he had finalised the numbers and nobody else knew them."

"I can only surmise he wanted to demonstrate to his new employer that he was no longer looking after the Carlton Football Club."

And hence well and truly looking after himself and his future. Only the blind would not see the trend here.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #68

Every personal career choice he made was a very big knife into the back of the Carlton Football Club. Which is why i have an issue with him presenting jumpers. You want people/players with honour and integrity presenting jumpers giving the recipient something to look up too. Collo is not that bloke.

Reply #70

I'll accept that...but given the relationship between the two, the source is dubious at best.

Bottom line...If Collins is the demon he's painted why is he welcomed by so many at the club....he appeared in promotional material with club legends at the start of the season? ???

He's presenting jumpers????

Reply #71
I'll accept that...but given the relationship between the two, the source is dubious at best.

Bottom line...If Collins is the demon he's painted why is he welcomed by so many at the club....he appeared in promotional material with club legends at the start of the season?

Yes - some primary sources, eyewitnesses etc. are essential. This is a very important issue.

EDIT : Let's not forget that Elliott's word has been questioned before :

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/2003/08/22/1061529335754.html

Reply #72

Bottom line...If Collins is the demon he's painted why is he welcomed by so many at the club....he appeared in promotional material with club legends at the start of the season? ???

I knew that you'd bring up the potentially frosty relationship and spent time trying to find a quote suggesting otherwise in the same book. But i've run out of time as the footy is starting.

I don't think Big Jack hates Collins as much as he has every right too.

Reply #73

Our board are a bunch of idiots.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!