Skip to main content
Topic: Collins (Read 19188 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Collins

Reply #45
I'd be interested to hear Collo's version one day of the conversations that transpired between he and Jackson/Evans/Demitriou back in 01/02. I seldom wish harm on anyone but I would not be sad to learn that Wayne Jackson has been inflicted with a massive infestation of air breathing piranha to his little nether region!

agree - i want someone to write the definitive story- we need the truth for the sake of our club as its an open wound still imo

Reply #46
Like most topics...too much "black and white" opinion.

Yep... You can make an argument for a poor performance as President, although we played the salary cap stuff in a morally correct manner.
When you do the wrong thing you take it on the chin. You don't delay, cloud the issue and run off to courts to win on technicalities.
I much prefer the Carlton approach to the Essendon one.
Our delay in improvement wasn't because of decisions made at the time of the cap penalties.

As for his previous efforts.
Very good player. (premiership player, hall of famer)
Outstanding (yep brilliant administator, secretary-manager (recruiter)

http://australian-rules-football.wikia.com/wiki/Peter_Motley
- Kernahan, Bradley, Motley Dorotitch Williams.
-3 premierships under his watch

By all means criticise him for the things he's done wrong... but give it a little balance.
Our history may have been very different without the efforts of Ian Collins as CEO during the1980s

totally agree Lods :)

Reply #47
agree - i want someone to write the definitive story- we need the truth for the sake of our club as its an open wound still imo

You're dreaming if you think a germ like Collins would come out and admit he bent the club over for a bonus.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #48
You're dreaming if you think a germ like Collins would come out and admit he bent the club over for a bonus.

where is the ""bonus"'"on the record? 

he removed himself from the board decision by the club to go to etihad did he not?

Reply #50
With Board matters, there is not enough information on the records but word of mouth,

My word of mouth is Pratt couldn't remove some directors and that was a fact.

Ask youself why Pratt did not take on the destructive elliott and take the Presidency- but 5 years after Elliott was pushed out by Collo?

In 1981 Collo was appointed Secretary-Manager of the Carlton Football Club, a position he filled with distinction for twelve years. In this time the Blues won three more flags. In 1993 he became the AFL Director of Football Operations, and in 1999 was appointed CEO of Stadium Operations Ltd, responsible for the AFL's showpiece Docklands Stadium. He was elected to the Carlton Hall of Fame in 2001, and awarded an Order of Australia for his service to the game.

In 2002 Collo returned to Princes Park as President, heading a reform group that successfully ousted the administration of high-profile incumbent John Elliott. Collins had spent much of his time as Secretary under Elliott's tenure, but there was no love lost when Carlton under Elliott was found guilty of serious breaches of the AFL's salary cap regulations. The Blues were fined heavily and denied access to the best young players in the country for three years. It was a savage blow that plummeted Carlton to the lowest point in our history, and two wooden spoons in three years resulted.

Throughout this dark and bitter time, Collins and his board worked hard to limit the damage to Carlton's profile, prestige and financial position. Despite health scares brought on by the pressures of juggling two demanding jobs, Collo led the club through some of its darkest hours until he stepped down from the Presidency in April 2006, and was replaced by Graham Smorgon.

So Collo already had another role and came back to get rid of elliott. Why ? because no one had the courage to directly take on a bloke who was wrecking the club.

so those posters that punish collo - effectively wanted Elliott to stay, because no one - i repeat no-one was prepared to take on the destructive elliott and remove him, including Pratt

so posters that say - Collo was feathering his own nest is talking BS themselves.

elliot wasnt pushed out by collo, the members did.
If you remember  the losses around that time were so horrific, people were baying for elliots blood and got it
collo, the perennial bridesmaid, now becomes president.
Elliot in my view, was an antiquated administrator that refused to yield to the clubs position and act accordingly
Collins failure was , he didnt negotiate a better position for sanctions against some paper bags on the evidence of some hack from fremantle and forced admissions by another at the AFL.
These sanctions were from the AFL,  worse than 34 players who systematically doped. Those sanctions, fkd the club for a decade.
The office of the president of the carlton football club was and is as prestigious then as it is now. Wanted by all and not necessarily for the right reasons.

So bad was the management of all in the last 15 years, they squandered the millions tipped in by the likes of pratt over the years. Pratt was a busy man. Too busy to worry
about the massive ego's of smorgon collins and elliot to stand.
He only stood when he was asked to do so by elliot and kernahan on a cap in hand visit to raheen with the keys of the club on the table.

Reply #51
if you're looking for an answer as to the real  savior of the CFC , the 11th hour man who stood up and saved the club when it was on life support, when no one else saw life left in the club, It was Richard J Pratt and continued to be the Pratt family at the bequest of Richard long after.
There should be a 30ft high statue in honor of that man facing royal parade so no one ever forgets him or what he did for the CFC

Reply #52
if you're looking for an answer as to the real  savior of the CFC , the 11th hour man who stood up and saved the club when it was on life support, when no one else saw life left in the club, It was Richard J Pratt and continued to be the Pratt family at the bequest of Richard long after.
There should be a 30ft high statue in honor of that man facing royal parade so no one ever forgets him or what he did for the CFC

He saved us no doubt but he too made some horrendous errors.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #53
Mozzie, i'm not sure why i bother trying to explain this to you, this is more for others who may actually believe what you say.

With Board matters, there is not enough information on the records but word of mouth,

My word of mouth is Pratt couldn't remove some directors and that was a fact.

Ask youself why Pratt did not take on the destructive elliott and take the Presidency- but 5 years after Elliott was pushed out by Collo?
Why didn't anyone take on Elliot? You blame Pratt because he put his hand up after Collo dug is deeper in the hole that we couldn't get out of?

In 1981 Collo was appointed Secretary-Manager of the Carlton Football Club, a position he filled with distinction for twelve years. In this time the Blues won three more flags. In 1993 he became the AFL Director of Football Operations....
On wikipedia (yes, i know) there is a whole stack of salary cap breaches listed.
I find these 2 the most interesting in light of what you quoted above.
- Three clubs were fined for minor breaches in 1993: Melbourne ($13,450), Carlton ($9,750) and Footscray ($2,700).[7]
- In 1994, Carlton were fined $50,000 after it was found that they had exceeded the salary cap by $85,000 during the 1993 season.[8]
So yes, he was in charge. In doing so he would've set up things for a few years in advance (contracts run for more than 1 year) and are setup before the season starts - ie, while Collo was in charge.

He setup dodgy payments. Went to his new role at the AFL and pointed the finger straight back at us and got us fined.

Not only that, because of these prior breaches, when our 2001/2 salary cap breaches came out we got a bigger fine because we were 'serial offenders'.

So sure all hail collo, who has bent us over multiple times.

Reply #54
Fork me Collins is a dog of a bloke. He should have his name scrubbed off the locker.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #56
Mozzie, i'm not sure why i bother trying to explain this to you, this is more for others who may actually believe what you say.
Why didn't anyone take on Elliot? You blame Pratt because he put his hand up after Collo dug is deeper in the hole that we couldn't get out of?
On wikipedia (yes, i know) there is a whole stack of salary cap breaches listed.
I find these 2 the most interesting in light of what you quoted above.So yes, he was in charge. In doing so he would've set up things for a few years in advance (contracts run for more than 1 year) and are setup before the season starts - ie, while Collo was in charge.

He setup dodgy payments. Went to his new role at the AFL and pointed the finger straight back at us and got us fined.

Not only that, because of these prior breaches, when our 2001/2 salary cap breaches came out we got a bigger fine because we were 'serial offenders'.

So sure all hail collo, who has bent us over multiple times.

Collo didn't point the finger.  He as president confessed to the salary cap breach by elliott

Reply #57
Collo didn't point the finger.  He as president confessed to the salary cap breach by elliott

You are talking about the 2001/2 breaches. The one we got the 1mil fine, lost picks 1+2 etc.

I'm talking about before that. When he first left to the AFL.
Don't tell me you didn't know we got in trouble for something he setup and dobbed on us for.

Reply #58
You are talking about the 2001/2 breaches. The one we got the 1mil fine, lost picks 1+2 etc.

I'm talking about before that. When he first left to the AFL.
Don't tell me you didn't know we got in trouble for something he setup and dobbed on us for.

Elliot was president in 1993...not collins

Reply #59
What you say Kruds regarding  1994 may actually be the case.. do you have a link to show that's what happened (Collins dobbed) or is it an educated guess?

What do you do in that position?
It's a bit of a dilemma

You go to a new job.
You know that there is information that you have that could affect your old club.

Do you keep it concealed....If it comes to light down the track and you've kept it hidden you're out the door....sacked.
or
Do you go in and say "I know of a problem we have.....How do we fix it?"