Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast (Read 36915 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 4 : Post Game thread - Carlton V Gold Coast

Reply #45
Big picture guys - I was again pleased with what I saw. The kids are amazingly good considering our early into their career they are.

What do we expect to see? 

Had 9 players under 21 and went down by under 5 goals to a team who beat hawks by a record margin - all this the next week after playing in hard terrible condition that must have taxed our kids young bodies. How did essendon fare this week?

We had 8 kids in this match with the most experienced having 12 games to their name.  They all played in one game yet too many expect to see a stellar performance.

Think many need to lower their expectations - either your commited to the rebuild or your not. If your commited you have to be pleased with what your seeing.

I know I am.

Reply #46
I can't understand the knocks on the little champ Ablett,  I get the tribal thing but not being able to see his sublime skills and the ability to turn a game and inspire his team mates is wilful blindness IMO.
He'd make a world of difference at Carlton even at this late stage of his career.
That said, I think we can expect another loss in Adelaide next weekend, but so long as the club keeps the faith with the young fellas I'm prepared to wear a few beatings. 
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #47
Big picture guys - I was again pleased with what I saw. The kids are amazingly good considering our early into their career they are.

What do we expect to see? 

Had 9 players under 21 and went down by under 5 goals to a team who beat hawks by a record margin - all this the next week after playing in hard terrible condition that must have taxed our kids young bodies. How did essendon fare this week?

We had 8 kids in this match with the most experienced having 12 games to their name.  They all played in one game yet too many expect to see a stellar performance.

Think many need to lower their expectations - either your commited to the rebuild or your not. If your commited you have to be pleased with what your seeing.

I know I am.

Could not be happier....well I suppose winning would be nice but this is the next best thing.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #48
I can't understand the knocks on the little champ Ablett,  I get the tribal thing but not being able to see his sublime skills and the ability to turn a game and inspire his team mates is wilful blindness IMO.
He'd make a world of difference at Carlton even at this late stage of his career.
That said, I think we can expect another loss in Adelaide next weekend, but so long as the club keeps the faith with the young fellas I'm prepared to wear a few beatings.

Selfish, entitled player .

I'm glad the GC are holding him to his obligations and I hope they do again next year.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #49
I didn't hear Daisy booed when the players were introduced?  There was muted applause for him, sure, and that was absolutely fine, but no booing.

Yes there was a huge boo when he completely screwed up a 15m kick to our running advantage when we were trying to get some momentum back - i think it was the beginning of the 4th when we got a break.  It was well deserved imo - absolutely not good enough -and that was the 3rd time that had happened in the game, the first two the supporters did an exasperated sigh - very loud - the 3rd one yes he copped it.

I don't condone booing either - i was embarrassed they were booing Ablett too, it shows huge immaturity to boo a champion - remember people doing that to Judd?  Just embarrassing.  And I'd never do it to one of ours but ffs Daisy is done.  He should retire.

Apart from that, i am EXCITED about our future - very excited!  That first half was exhilarating footy that we have not played in a long time

Reply #50
Selfish, entitled player .

I'm glad the GC are holding him to his obligations and I hope they do again next year.

As good as Judd, Voss and Hodge in my opinion, among the very best midfielders of the last 20 years and only Kouta in his prime better but his prime was fairly brief.
We really struggle when we come up against players of his type, our best two mids are Murphy and Cripps and Murphy doesn't have the power through the hips and Cripps doesn't have the pace.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #51
Palmer not mature enough?

Perhaps we SHOULD have gone after Barlow.....oh but he got injured, again. Dodged a bullet there.

Would pick Palmer every day of the week ahead of Daisy, real no brainer.

What you're suggesting is that Daisy earns his keep by interacting with those young ladies/girls given his effectiveness during a match is (net) to the benefit of the opposition ie his clangers cost us goals, week in, week out.

Yep, that'll move our team forward nicely  ::) ::)
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #52
He was brilliant until they moved Miller on to him after 1/4 time.

Good selections this week by leaving out slowpokes Kerridge & Palmer against a fast team at Etihad but I felt Bolton pulled the wrong rein after 1/2 time when he moved  Weitering to defence and Rowe away from Lynch. I don't believe anybody could have cut off the passes to Lynch because of the Suns kicking skills and lack of pressure from our midfielders. The switch seemed to upset the balance of the defence and it certainly dismantled what had been a reasonably effective forward line structure during the first half.

I think Bolton was trying not to lose the game rather than trying to win it, if that makes sense.  Leaving Rowe on Lynch and getting another defender to cut off his leads may have been a better option.

Bolton tried an extra defender but Eade added another forward.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #53
Our next significant stage of progress in our redevelopment will include the replacement of the likes of:
Daisy
Kerridge
Palmer
Graham
Army.
By more skillful and talented players.

In the meantime, whichever of those happen to be rotated through selection is, IMHO, largely immaterial.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #54
I think Bolton was trying not to lose the game rather than trying to win it, if that makes sense.  Leaving Rowe on Lynch and getting another defender to cut off his leads may have been a better option.

Bolton tried an extra defender but Eade added another forward.

Well at least preventing it blowing out into a drubbing. Their run out of defence in the 3Q was cutting us to ribbons and provided magnificent delivery into their F50.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
What you're suggesting is...

No.
Its not.

What i am suggesting is that you lack the ability to interpret....
1. My posts.
2. What the coach and the MC think
3. How little your opinion, and perhaps the popular opinion, on Daisy means to either of the above.

Reply #56
I was listening to the 3AW crew after the game and it was interesting to hear the spud callers. Some jerk spud caller got on the blower and predicted McKay as a fail, Daisy, E.Curnow and C.Curnow rubbish with poor disposal.

Harf and the others highlighted to the spud caller the weird focus Carlton supporters had on Daisy, Harf said the Carlton fans booed Daisy before an during the game which in my opinion is disgraceful! If Harf notices it then it is obvious to all and sundry!

If someone is wearing navy blue, you give them 100% unconditional support or you can feck off!

If Carlton want to know why stuff all fans are not going to games, that booing would keep most fans away hands down and the club should come out and condemn it!

Further Harf highlighted that at about 65% efficiency from a reasonable number of possessions Daisy and Curnow were far from being Carlton's worst. We had a number of players who barely touched the pill all day, 8 out of 9 of the worst offenders were the first year players.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Getting booed is BS, especially your own. You can't blame the opposition supporters for it, as its Gold Coast and they have none.
People should be ashamed of that.

One thing these same people probably failed to see was what happened during the run through.
There were 2 young girls who were the mascots for the game. Ran through the banner and did some running around and warmups with the boys. Almost all of them ignored the girls. Daisy went to them and was talking to them about how to stretch and what not.

Now none of that means squat once the ball is bounced, but those girls will remember that for the rest of their lives and will be forever grateful to Daisy for it.
However, things like that go a large way to fixing the culture at Carlton and are in line with what Bolton has been preaching within The Journey.

Now i don't know if anyone else noticed that, or if anyone else cared.
But that is the guy people are booing.  :-[

Krud,

I watched Thomas last night, yes he isn't the same Thomas as circa 2010/11 but he is still a smart hardworking footballer. Put his body on the line.
Does a lot of off the ball stuff to impend the oppo or direct the young ones.
His kicking is letting him down at times, but he still finds the bloody thing.

Had a chap next to me howling for his blood all night to the point where he was blaming Thomas for the easy goal missed in last qtr when Picket was going into a open goal,
think Marchbank ended up with the shot on goal for a point.
Had to point out that it wasn't Thomas that stuffed up, he was at the time was organising the troop 60m's from the ball in case of a point.

He just shook his head and mumbled something about others would do better.

He's no longer at his best but he provides experience and some hardness around a group of very young, underdeveloped bodies talented footballers.
Saw SPS rag dolled in the last when running for the ball purely because the oppo player had 3 years development into him.

Need the experienced guys around out group ATM, if not Thomas then Palmer or Silvagni (the older). But they'd need to be finding the footy as well.

Reply #58
I didn't hear Daisy booed when the players were introduced?  There was muted applause for him, sure, and that was absolutely fine, but no booing.

Yes there was a huge boo when he completely screwed up a 15m kick to our running advantage when we were trying to get some momentum back - i think it was the beginning of the 4th when we got a break.  It was well deserved imo - absolutely not good enough -and that was the 3rd time that had happened in the game, the first two the supporters did an exasperated sigh - very loud - the 3rd one yes he copped it.

I don't condone booing either - i was embarrassed they were booing Ablett too, it shows huge immaturity to boo a champion - remember people doing that to Judd?  Just embarrassing.  And I'd never do it to one of ours but ffs Daisy is done.  He should retire.

Apart from that, i am EXCITED about our future - very excited!  That first half was exhilarating footy that we have not played in a long time

Didn't hear any booing pre-game.

Some minor booing of Ablett for about 1qtr... like the blues it stopped in the 2nd half!

Reply #59
Krud,

I watched Thomas last night, yes he isn't the same Thomas as circa 2010/11 but he is still a smart hardworking footballer. Put his body on the line.
Does a lot of off the ball stuff to impend the oppo or direct the young ones.
His kicking is letting him down at times, but he still finds the bloody thing.

Had a chap next to me howling for his blood all night to the point where he was blaming Thomas for the easy goal missed in last qtr when Picket was going into a open goal,
think Marchbank ended up with the shot on goal for a point.
Had to point out that it wasn't Thomas that stuffed up, he was at the time was organising the troop 60m's from the ball in case of a point.

He just shook his head and mumbled something about others would do better.

He's no longer at his best but he provides experience and some hardness around a group of very young, underdeveloped bodies talented footballers.
Saw SPS rag dolled in the last when running for the ball purely because the oppo player had 3 years development into him.

Need the experienced guys around out group ATM, if not Thomas then Palmer or Silvagni (the older). But they'd need to be finding the footy as well.

Thomas copped it all night from our supporters, while I am no fan I did feel sorry for him as I reckon its affecting his game, walked back to the train with our group and had a
random older chap give it to me about Thomas for 10 mins saying nothing good ever came from Collingwood etc etc and didnt want to hear about any other reasons
why we lost other than Daisy being the culprit.
I think the club and Daisy have to make a decision on his future sooner than later....