Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Rd 7: After Match Analysis: Carlton vs Collingwood (Read 35792 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Rd 7: After Match Analysis: Carlton vs Collingwood

Reply #90

Ed Curnow....brilliant. Pendlebury usually has his way with us and today he had 27 of the most meaningless possessions ever. Then once he'd done the job on him, he went to Treloar and did the same.

Another good game ... He goes under the radar,  not flashy but just works his arse off week in week out.
Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Dar..Da Di Da Di Da Di Darrr ...Darrr Darr.. We are the NAVY BLUES !!

Reply #91
MM let Betts, Lailder and Waite go for NADA, and got rid of a Robinson who's won a B&F and finished top 3 each year since he left.

That makes MM a spud!

Btw., We traded Hampson for Pick 32, which we give to the Swans for Andrejs Everitt and Pick 39!

Docherty cost us pick 33, I'm not about splitting hairs.
Betts was a free agent and wanted to go back to SA, it was common knowledge mid season.
Laidler is ho hum, he wouldn't get a game in our current back 6.
Waite hadn't played a full season for 6 years when he left Carlton and North offered him a three year contract thinking they were on the verge of a flag, it would have been criminal negligence to match their offer.
Brisbane are welcome to Robinson in my opinion.
Appointing Malthouse was a mistake but so was appointing Ratten, Pagan and Brittain before him, hopefully we've finally got our act together.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #92
Docherty cost us pick 33, I'm not about splitting hairs.

So your support for MM is based on a completely wrong belief, I can't argue with that it's a Trumpism, fact splitting!

Appointing some of those coaches wasn't a mistake, sacking some of them was. If BB hits hard times it will be interesting to see if we have learned anything, until then or until we have some success who knows!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #93
Really impressed with the win yesterday. More so because it was just a solid win every quarter, consistent effort type of win you would expect from a much more mature side. Probably largely due to the coaching and the guys really playing for each other and as a team.

Side note, Charlie looks like he going to rip a game wide open sometime this year. Watching him live he exudes some real potential. Think he is going to have some serious presence out there soon.

Reply #94
In the mail Baggers.

I just think it's the way with kruddler that he will try to put a positive spin on anything associated with MM, irrespective of how flimsy the argument, or how the tenuous the proposition. But that's why we love him.

I'm pretty sure i haven't mentioned Mick Malthouse at all. I mentioned players, some of which went during Micks time, but that also included Fevola who was pre-mick.

I think you boys need to get over your Malthouse obsession.

Reply #95
Really impressed with the win yesterday. More so because it was just a solid win every quarter, consistent effort type of win you would expect from a much more mature side. Probably largely due to the coaching and the guys really playing for each other and as a team.

Side note, Charlie looks like he going to rip a game wide open sometime this year. Watching him live he exudes some real potential. Think he is going to have some serious presence out there soon.

Great post JC. I couldn't agree more. Add a sprinkle of aggression to the team mindset and this group could challenge any side. Watching it all come together is as satisfying as it gets in club-land ^-^

Go new Blues
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #96
I'm pretty sure i haven't mentioned Mick Malthouse at all. I mentioned players, some of which went during Micks time, but that also included Fevola who was pre-mick.

I think you boys need to get over your Malthouse obsession.

Given your history on this topic, whether you mention his name or not, your intent and belief is clear, and don't pretend otherwise. You have stated on more than one occasion that in your opinion, MM started the reset. As George Costanza once said, "it's not a lie if you believe it."

Reply #97

Appointing some of those coaches wasn't a mistake, sacking some of them was. If BB hits hard times it will be interesting to see if we have learned anything, until then or until we have some success who knows!

I disagee.
Brittain was annointed by Parkin and appointed without due deliberation, Pagan was appointed to save Elliott's skin, Ratten was appointed to appease the membership and Malthouse was appointed by a panicked board which needed a big name.
In no case was due diligence performed, regardless of their respective abilities, so in my opinion they were all errors of judgement.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #98
Given your history on this topic, whether you mention his name or not, your intent and belief is clear, and don't pretend otherwise. You have stated on more than one occasion that in your opinion, MM started the reset. As George Costanza once said, "it's not a lie if you believe it."

You guys think about Malthouse more than i do.

I know my intent when i post. I don't need you to pyschoanalyse it and interpret it incorrectly.

EDIT.
To get back to what i posted initially....
Simple. Attitude....and thus culture.
You've assumed that this meant Mick had the one and only call on this.
Personally i disagree. I've long been harping on about someone else being held responsible for list management at the club, and reckon Andy McKay needs to take his fair share of the blame on this.
Conveniently you've overlooked those posts i've made.

Don't give up your day job 'shrink'.

Reply #99

Another thing was our skill level, especially when we were moving the ball across the back line and in the past we would miss our targets and turn it over due to poor execution, this seems to have been tidied up considerably.

Go blues!

I kept saying the exact same thing to my mates yesterday.  Little handballs and quick kicks out of packs were hitting targets.  And more importantly, no fumbles from blokes running past.  AND it was wet?? Looked completely different from some of our earlier games

Just a bit of confidence, and the skill level goes up??  Could that be it???

Reply #101
You guys think about Malthouse more than i do.

I know my intent when i post. I don't need you to pyschoanalyse it and interpret it incorrectly.

EDIT.
To get back to what i posted initially....You've assumed that this meant Mick had the one and only call on this.
Personally i disagree. I've long been harping on about someone else being held responsible for list management at the club, and reckon Andy McKay needs to take his fair share of the blame on this.
Conveniently you've overlooked those posts i've made.

Don't give up your day job 'shrink'.

My interpretation of both your posts and your position on this topic is perfectly correct and perfectly valid.

People pick and choose who to blame for recruiting based on what best suits their argument. Sometimes the coach, sometimes the recruiters, sometimes the head of football.

Reply #102
I kept saying the exact same thing to my mates yesterday.  Little handballs and quick kicks out of packs were hitting targets.  And more importantly, no fumbles from blokes running past.  AND it was wet?? Looked completely different from some of our earlier games

Just a bit of confidence, and the skill level goes up??  Could that be it???

It was a combination of many factors that created what we saw in the game yesterday. There is no doubt that the confidence in each other has lifted, and more importantly it becomes contagious. I remember earlier in the season when we would fail basic skill execution and gifted the opposition so many easy turnovers and they would score, especially in our defensive 50. But you watch yesterday games and see how CLEAN the ball came out so even if we did turn it over it it was a lot further up the ground and was not in a dangerous spot.

Pay attention to some of the long kicks across our backline as well, they were classy and accurate, rarely did our lads have to break stride to tidy up the receives.

Not to sure how it looked to you all, but how many times did our boys look like they were panicking when they had possession? I cant remember seeing a Carlton team that look so composed and knew what to do when they had the ball.

This is why I picked Caleb for the Rising star nomination, and that's not taking anything away from Sammo, SPS was fantastic yesterday + getting the photo with me on Friday should have made me choose him for the rising star nomination a given, but the amount of times Caleb took uncontested marks using his ability to fill the gaps and read where the ball was going to go just blew me away.

SOS - "I hated losing"

Reply #103
Can't believe we won that! Looking forward to watching the replay soon  ;D

What's with the umps? Really try not to worry too much but feel
Like we were dudded big time.
I wasn't worried about the umps in the 1st half, but after half time the umpiring was very poor and very much not our way. Some of the decisions were simply incredible, especially some of the 'push - outs'. It appeared that the interpretation from last week had gone out the window like a Czech Defenestration.

Murph was great. Not sure about Kerridge.
Murphy showed how much we missed him last year. Hs ability to get the ball and not stuff up was really good. Early in the season his disposal was a bit dodgy, and his turnovers hurt us badly. However, not many turnovers this week.
Kerridge did some very good work in and under and had a lot of tackles (9), but as the game went on his disposal dropped off badly. If he is going to be a regular for us, he really has to work on that. Otherwise, younger players will be looking at his spot.

Happy Daisy got that goal but still wouldn't be thrilled if he got a contract extension at the $ he's on now.
Daisy had 20 possessions and 9 marks. He earned his spot for next week. I wouldn't want to predict further than that.

SPS so exciting - loved hearing him say the win was 'bloody terrific' at the end - hope he is enjoying being in Melbourne.
A pity he died out in the last quarter. His play was lovely to watch. And his ability to make something out of not much was inspirational. He'll get a Rising Star Nomination soon, if the 'judges' have any idea at all.

LOVE marchbank. Simmo, Doch and Plow good again.
I thought Plow was down a bit, to be honest, but I love the way our defence plays. The number of times Collingwood forwards and smalls failed to get a kick off close to goal was lovely to see. Neither Silvagni nor Rowe had a lot of the ball this week, but they more than did their jobs. The 2 Collingwood tall forwards were ineffective. Our small and mid defenders were excellent.

Cas got himself into it. Kruezer legend. Gibbs very smart footballer.
The thing I liked about Kreuzer was that he was playing someone who usually beats him in Grundy. But Kreuzer was great in his efforts to reduce his effectiveness and still managed to give our mids a real hand. The stats say that Grundy had more of almost everything, but what they do not show was how relatively ineffective Grundy was. Kreuzer, on the other hand, was far from ineffective.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #104
Hands up those who were critical of the recruitment of Alex Silvagni??  (Mine is in the air!)  He has footy smarts, gives 100% and allows Rowe to concentrate solely on his job.
I have my hand up as well. I thought we'd made a mistake. Looks like Stephen Silvagni knew more than I did. Kudos where it deserves to be.
Live Long and Prosper!