Skip to main content
Topic: Talking Tactics - Our Forward Structure In 2017 (Read 31518 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Talking Tactics - Our Forward Structure In 2017

Reply #90
Bold point 1:  That goes agains his stated mantra of "be comfortable being uncomfortable".
Bold point 2: We haved turned it over much much less since the Ess game I reckon. I would love to see the stats on TO's but I cant find any.

GTC, I'd be wary of taking mantras as being applicable 100% of the time.

I'd be keen to see the stats as well. I haven't seen the Ess game, but I certainly saw the Swans game, and it's no coincidence that we looked better with some zing, speed and spark around the contest. We finally looked like a team that might trouble the scorers once in a striped moon.

Reply #91
Why? Its one of the pillars he is basing his teachings on, its meant to strengthen the resolve off the players, especially when things get tuff. Things get tuff very often during a reset/rebuild hence why its important I think.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #92
Why? Its one of the pillars he is basing his teachings on, its meant to strengthen the resolve off the players, especially when things get tuff. Things get tuff very often during a reset/rebuild hence why its important I think.

If he, as a coach, wanted to get comfy being uncomfy, he'd be willing to "let go of the steering wheel" and cut loose more, rather than sticking to what  he knows.  I reckon he did it in the Swans game, and I'd like to see more of that.

Reply #93
If he, as a coach, wanted to get comfy being uncomfy, he'd be willing to "let go of the steering wheel" and cut loose more, rather than sticking to what  he knows.  I reckon he did it in the Swans game, and I'd like to see more of that.
Not sure I understand what you mean.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #94

I'd be keen to see the stats as well. I haven't seen the Ess game, but I certainly saw the Swans game, and it's no coincidence that we looked better with some zing, speed and spark around the contest. We finally looked like a team that might trouble the scorers once in a striped moon.

You just kinda contradicted yourself.

Just because we appear to prefer the slow and steady approach, it doesn't mean you follow it 100% of the time. ;)

Part of the slow and steady approach is to keep possession. If the opportunity presents itself to attack, you take it. If not, keep possession of the ball. Some of the attacking opportunities allow you to move quick and direct to your advantage. However, if you try that all the time, you become predictable and easy to stop.

Reply #95
You just kinda contradicted yourself.

Just because we appear to prefer the slow and steady approach, it doesn't mean you follow it 100% of the time. ;)

Part of the slow and steady approach is to keep possession. If the opportunity presents itself to attack, you take it. If not, keep possession of the ball. Some of the attacking opportunities allow you to move quick and direct to your advantage. However, if you try that all the time, you become predictable and easy to stop.

Yes, I do get it. All teams play a few different ways in a game, depending on the state of play. I understand the "keepings off" style of footy.

We won't be winning too many games if footy unless we can find a way of kicking 100+ points per game. And I want to see more attempts made at upping our scoring ability. I was pleased to see more of this in the Swans game, specifically in terms of having Doc and Simmo as play makers around the ball, initiating and directing our forward thrusts, and generally moving the ball towards the goals rather than sideways or backwards.

Reply #97
GTC, see my post above.
So are they finally jelling as a group and following instructions better or is he coaching different? I suspect the former, you are suggesting its the latter. I take you back the GC where 5 minutes of poor footy (reduced effort, structures breaking down) cost us the game. In the Ess and Syd game, 120 mins of switched on footy.
I am confident BB has plan A, B and C for different circumstance within games. Its all about the players knowing when to execute the various ones at the right time, this will come with time.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #98
So are they finally jelling as a group and following instructions better or is he coaching different? I suspect the former, you are suggesting its the latter. I take you back the GC where 5 minutes of poor footy (reduced effort, structures breaking down) cost us the game. In the Ess and Syd game, 120 mins of switched on footy.
I am confident BB has plan A, B and C for different circumstance within games. Its all about the players knowing when to execute the various ones at the right time, this will come with time.

I suspect it's a bit of both. I agree that you need to be focused the whole game, but the question is what exactly are you focusing on ?

For the sake of the argument, compare us to the Crows - do you think their ability to score freely is because of :

a. a specific game style that goes in with that mindset, including but not limited to, faster and more forward ball movement ?
b. a better forward line ?
c. players with faster leg speed ?
d. better mids ?
e. better stoppage structures, or generally better setups around the ground ?
f. different or better "cattle" ?

any or all of the above ?

Reply #99
I made comment in the post game that we are more noticeably hitting up 20m passes. This is a big change to what we were doing through JLT and rnd 1 where we had a kamikaze play on all the time approach.

I think that is where bolton would like us to end up but we proved we weren't ready for the more adventurous style so we've gone back to a more conservative approach.

It's hard to get caught out on fast breaks when you're moving the ball carefully up the field. Any turnover tends to happen deep in the forward line rather than up on the wing.

Anyway... will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Reply #100
I suspect it's a bit of both. I agree that you need to be focused the whole game, but the question is what exactly are you focusing on ?

For the sake of the argument, compare us to the Crows - do you think their ability to score freely is because of :

a. a specific game style that goes in with that mindset, including but not limited to, faster and more forward ball movement ?
d. better mids ?

b.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #101
I made comment in the post game that we are more noticeably hitting up 20m passes. This is a big change to what we were doing through JLT and rnd 1 where we had a kamikaze play on all the time approach.

I think that is where bolton would like us to end up but we proved we weren't ready for the more adventurous style so we've gone back to a more conservative approach.

It's hard to get caught out on fast breaks when you're moving the ball carefully up the field. Any turnover tends to happen deep in the forward line rather than up on the wing.

Anyway... will be interesting to see how it evolves.

Good post and I agree, but I wonder if the evolution is also on the coach's side and not just the players' ?

Reply #102

d. better mids ?

Definitely 'b' and a decided home ground advantage.

Stick Walker and Betts in our forward line and we'd be a lock for the 8.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #103

What about Lynch, Cameron and Jenkins?
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #104

Interesting that both you and GTC picked b and only b.