Skip to main content
Topic: Talking Tactics - Our Forward Structure In 2017 (Read 32351 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Talking Tactics - Our Forward Structure In 2017

Reply #60
Vickery goes at about 30 goals a season...bit better than I thought....

Reply #61

I've said before that Vickery will be someone who turns out to be a very important player for the hawks. Will be as good as Gunston if given the opportunity and healthy body.

Reply #62

Hawthorn will be pleased with his first up efforts; 10 disposals, 7 hitouts and 0 marks ...
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #63
A spud cooked a different way us still a spud.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #64
Does everyone discount the possibility of Weitering playing forward?

With all the defensive cover I thought it more likely than not that he or potentially Marchbank would be in the forward line.

Backline:
Byrne/White | Rowe | Plow
Simmo | Marchbank | Doc
Also: A Silvagni/Sheehan

Forward line talls:
CCurnow | McKay | Cas | Weit | SOSOS

Smalls: Sumner | Lamb | Smedts | Palmer | Armfield | Pickett | Lebois | Wright | SPS

I think Weitering in that forward line adds a lot of class and makes it look pretty dangerous whilst not leaving the backline short handed.

Reply #65
Does everyone discount the possibility of Weitering playing forward?

With all the defensive cover I thought it more likely than not that he or potentially Marchbank would be in the forward line.

Backline:
Byrne/White | Rowe | Plow
Simmo | Marchbank | Doc
Also: A Silvagni/Sheehan

Forward line talls:
CCurnow | McKay | Cas | Weit | SOSOS

Smalls: Sumner | Lamb | Smedts | Palmer | Armfield | Pickett | Lebois | Wright | SPS

I think Weitering in that forward line adds a lot of class and makes it look pretty dangerous whilst not leaving the backline short handed.

Jeza I agree we'll have some other forward options. I posted this in 'predictions' thread.

We've heard a couple of the guys talk about training with more than one group. Sam Rowe was one. Personally I think we'll mix it up. Maybe see some master strokes by Bolts. What's it he says, get comfortable being uncomfortable. Until our future forward stocks develop, I think we'll improvise by creating less conventional options. Weitering, although a great defender, was reportedly known pre-draft to kick "everything from anywhere". I wouldn't be surprised to see him (or other tall/small combos), Rowe, or Marchbank rolling forward.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #66
I happened to be at a friend's birthday party yesterday where I met an ex-AFL umpire who still knows a fair few AFL insiders. He was pretty adamant that Weitering will spend more than a bit of time playing forward this year. We'll see.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #67
Tall forward options will be there - how permanent they are (probably apart from Casboult early on) is anyone's guess. Much depends on the young bodies, injury/illness, horses for courses, etc.

Casboult
McKay
C.Curnow
J.Silvagni
Weitering
Plowman
Rowe
Marchbank
Kreuzer

They'll all 'roll' through the forward line as the key talls.

In the magoos - Gorringe, Jones, Jaksch, Kerr, Macreadie.

This year, again, we'll watch and see who does what and how they all go about their footy, both at AFL and VFL levels.

Side note - I'm looking forward to the progress of a couple of rookies - Glass-McCasker and Lebois.

Reply #68
Jones and Jaksch will have to do something remarkable this year to hold a spot....Levi too i guess....
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #69
Jones and Jaksch will have to do something remarkable this year to hold a spot....Levi too i guess....

You look at the guys coming through and it's now or never for those 2. Jaksch may get a rookie spot somewhere else at best. Jones definitely done - if they don't produce something amazing this season. Hopefully they can pull their careers put of the fire!

Reply #70
Footage of training shows Rowe and Casboult competing in ruck contests and Casboult involved in stoppage drills.  It may be just to provide cover while Phillips is out but it's possible that Jim may get his wish and Casboult will play as key forward and back up ruckman.

My concerns about Casboult's knee injury preventing him from rucking appear to be without foundation.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #71
Footage of training shows Rowe and Casboult competing in ruck contests and Casboult involved in stoppage drills.  It may be just to provide cover while Phillips is out but it's possible that Jim may get his wish and Casboult will play as key forward and back up ruckman.

My concerns about Casboult's knee injury preventing him from rucking appear to be without foundation.
Footage I saw also shows Marchbank slotting a beautiful goal from tight against the fence on the wrong side for a right footer. Hmmmm.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #72

With the ruck rule changes, Cas and Rowe may be very useful rucking around the ground perhaps using their strength. Dunno really!!

Reply #73
I've said before that Vickery will be someone who turns out to be a very important player for the hawks. Will be as good as Gunston if given the opportunity and healthy body.

What were you smoking when you wrote that?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
What were you smoking when you wrote that?
;D

I don't smoke or partake of other mind altering substances but I reckon there could be some truth in K's statement. Vickery's main problem has been feckwittery and the Hawks environment may fix that.
Reality always wins in the end.