Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 11890 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Analysis: AFL 2021 Rd 9: Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #120
Useful Stats are at;

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/team-rankings?CompSeason=20&GameWeeks=-1

Both can be customised. Use the Discover button for customising players stats, and the My Rankings Table for Team stats customisations.

You'll note Carlton is the lowest Disposal team in the competition, something fans need to be very aware of when comparing all other stats.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #121
Useful Stats are at;

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Discover
https://www.afl.com.au/stats/team-rankings?CompSeason=20&GameWeeks=-1

Both can be customised. Use the Discover button for customising players stats, and the My Rankings Table for Team stats customisations.

That's where I find all my pittonet hits to advantage stats.  ;)

Reply #122
That's where I find all my pittonet hits to advantage stats.  ;)
Like I wrote, be very careful how you use stats, what is "To Advantage"? ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #123
Like I wrote, be very careful how you use stats, what is "To Advantage"? ;)
Sure, but when pittonet has 4x what his opponent has, it's pretty clear who did better in the ruck contests don't you think?

Reply #124
Sure, but when pittonet has 4x what his opponent has, it's pretty clear who did better in the ruck contests don't you think?
Not at all, the replay exposes the folly of purely trusting the numbers.

Fwiw; I thought Pittonet did OK against Gawn in the centre, but was soundly smashed by how much influence Gawn had around the ground and in general play. Gawn is a different class of ruck.

Funny, I thought this week things were not too bad, better in some areas than the week before. But our coach stated the exact opposite. he thought we were worse across the board this week than against the Dogs. I suppose for him it's all about structures and instructions versus the numbers, and he said we didn't implement the plan this week. It's why we do have to be cognisant of instructions when judging a guy like Pittonet, and why I stated it might not be 100% his fault he is not hitting team-mates with taps.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #125
Thanks mbb. Leaving aside the standard Fox media guff, there's interesting info there.

Either way we don't defend well, there is no conspiracy against us. The stats don't lie, the scores don't lie and the ladder doesn't lie.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #126
Pittonet is the least of our problems, not sure why this is getting so much air time?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #127
the game has passed Murphy.

I only saw a bit more than half the game - but from what i saw, i thought murphy looked composed and used it well, going into fwd 50.  considering this is one of our biggest concerns, then at least he is bringing something to the table.  i know his work the other way is terrible, but i think he is far from our biggest issue

Reply #128
The stats don't lie,
Exactly, but that doesn't mean they mean what you think they mean! ;)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #129
Either way we don't defend well, there is no conspiracy against us. The stats don't lie, the scores don't lie and the ladder doesn't lie.

I don't deny any of those things. My personal preference is to have that information presented without all the editorializing and goading that seems to be Murdoch's stock in trade.

Reply #130
I only saw a bit more than half the game - but from what i saw, i thought murphy looked composed and used it well, going into fwd 50.  considering this is one of our biggest concerns, then at least he is bringing something to the table.  i know his work the other way is terrible, but i think he is far from our biggest issue
Agreed, sMurph was fine 1st game back from injury, Cripps was fine this week as well. But some fans are still potting them across the board, the fans have "decided" and once they have "decided" it's over and the Fat Lady is singing.

Same applies to our coaches for that matter!

A nice example of this is fans have "decided" we should be playing Durdin and drafting Crocker, but in last week's VFL loss those two were basically missing for at least half the game. How does going missing for half a game at VFL level translate to AFL selection form?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #131
Late to the party again! Tortured myself and watched the whole game yesterday and it really is just another week, but same result.

I too am getting frustrated watching Teague sit emotionless in the coaches box and trying nothing when things aren't working. Yes, injuries have restricted who we can have out there but a lack of depth in key areas has killed us again too.

Once again it's Walsh, McKay (who tried hard given how bad his shoulder looked), Curnow (been a warrior and doesn't stop), Weitering and Saad (the one bloke who CAN kick it properly) that keep us in games only to see their hard work completely undone by suburban footy standard skills, terrible decision making and what looked to be not a great deal of desire when we got behind.

Something has to give and I dare say a loss to Hawthorn this week might be the circuit breaker. But where do we go?

As someone else alluded to, some of the selections just boggle. SPS was one of the better players against Essendon after coming on as the medical sub in the first quarter and played in the position that suits him....the midfield. Then he's medical sub last week against the team with arguably the deepest midfield in the competition...and dropped altogether this week. Murphy comes in to take his spot.....a bloke probably in his final season and seemingly being gifted games to get to 300.

I was arguing for Setterfield to come back in but, EB as you suggested earlier in the week, the guy is a good VFL player at that level, but not up to this level. Took one big mark but did nothing else and shirks the contest when he needs to go in hard.

Williams should be embarrassed when he checks his bank account and sees his last pay go in. Now Teague is telling us he's playing without a lot of confidence????? Confident enough to sign up for 5 or 6 years on $900K and confident enough to swan around in bright pink boots.....but he sh#t himself backing into a marking contest in the second quarter yesterday and had a couple of easy tackles broken. He might've got 19 odd possessions but plenty of those were cheap ones that covered about 15m and even a couple of those didn't hit the mark. We've been torched by McGovern on big money deals and failing to deliver and now Williams has picked up the baton and running with it.

Plowman needs a stint in the VFL. How many more half back flankers do we need in the side?

Agree with others, Pittonet can't be blamed for any of this. He cracks in hard at least. He was brought to the club purely as backup for Kreuzer and a developing TDK but has basically been the number one ruckman since round 2 last year.

The fact that we only have two key defenders on the list shows how badly we've planned for the future.

Reply #132
Williams was a very good player before coming to us, now.....heaven help us.

Setterfield, even last year, was looking like he could take the next step or two into a B+/A grader.

He's taken a step alright - back to the VFL.

Gibbons and Newnes weren't giving enough and deserved the demotion (noting Gibbons played for Cuners).

Gibbons 9 touches - not good enough. Play a kid...if Kennedy's papers are stamped. Ramsay the most likely of the mids presently (Kemp and Philp sidelined).

Owies and Parks but had days they'd prefer to forget. Owies had 7 tackles all the same.

But bagels for Jones, Pars and Plowman. How does that work?

Need to persevere with Stocker in the middle....

SPS - still rate him highly but my God he looks almost disinterested.

Surely Nic Newman can give our lot some tips as to what the Swans 'do right'?!!!

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #133
Williams was a very good player before coming to us, now.....heaven help us.

Setterfield, even last year, was looking like he could take the next step or two into a B+/A grader.

He's taken a step alright - back to the VFL.

Gibbons and Newnes weren't giving enough and deserved the demotion (noting Gibbons played for Cuners).

Gibbons 9 touches - not good enough. Play a kid...if Kennedy's papers are stamped. Ramsay the most likely of the mids presently (Kemp and Philp sidelined).

Owies and Parks but had days they'd prefer to forget. Owies had 7 tackles all the same.

But bagels for Jones, Pars and Plowman. How does that work?

Need to persevere with Stocker in the middle....

SPS - still rate him highly but my God he looks almost disinterested.

Surely Nic Newman can give our lot some tips as to what the Swans 'do right'?!!!

Probably the concerning thing there is that some players, for whatever reason, aren't playing up to there 2020 level.

Reply #134
A positive in itself is that we have a lot of players seemingly down on form yet we are mic and matching it with almost everyone.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson