Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong (Read 10184 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 3: Pre Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Geelong in Geelong

Reply #105
For those saying a 12 goal loss is inevitable, and that honourable losses are unacceptable.
If we get done by a goal in a close game how will you interpret that?

Be alot more acceptable if it good, close, hard fought game all day. I think we'd accept that. If we're 6 goals down again, fly home and lose by a goal then it will frustrate the life out of us. So it depends on the nature of a one goal loss.

Reply #106

Always do before I vote, I've watch the game live and Kayo replay twice now, and not through navy blue coloured glasses.

I would have thought Gawn was BoG, I was surprised to read the coaches gave Petracca top votes especially as he feed off Oliver quite a lot.
Twice? you're brave..lol.

Reply #107
Pittonet was far from disgraced though and he certainly improved as the game wore on.  It was a good sign that he just didn't drop his head but fought it out to the end.  I reckon he could do OK against Stanley but a lot will depend on whether our midfielders are switched on at the first bounce.
 Agreed, as I said in the voting thread if Gawn hadn't run rampant I would have given Pittonet votes.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #108
Pagan was chosen arbitrarily - you could nominate any of our coaches over the last 2 decades and the answer would be the same. And the most critical and important voices at the club have not changed since Pagan - by which i mean power brokers and other influencers with deep pockets. And compare our board to Essendon's. Looks like a cheer squad in comparison.

I'm not calling anyone to the stocks - simply stating historical fact.

And Bolton was given 3 1/2 years.

Ah, this has been quite a dance, Pauly.

Okay, if you check the history books you'll see that the 'Carlton way' of choosing/appointing senior coaches hadn't changed until your boy, BB, was chosen by a selection committee. It probably started in the mid 60s when the CFC broke the mold with the brilliant and risky appointment of Ronald Dale Barassi - worked alright. The appointment of the 'Hawthorn bloke', David Alex Parkin, was also out of left field and didn't do too badly for us either. We just didn't know when to ease up on that approach... and also throw away the brown paper bag system!

Unfortunately we didn't move with the times which has cost us dearly, in fact we probably only caught up about 5 years ago. (And if you don't think other clubs have wealthy 'influencers' behind the scenes, you wouldn't be right).

As I said before, it's just too early to make a call on us right now, we're a work in progress new to the modern way of doing things. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #109
Ah, this has been quite a dance, Pauly.

Okay, if you check the history books you'll see that the 'Carlton way' of choosing/appointing senior coaches hadn't changed until your boy, BB, was chosen by a selection committee. It probably started in the mid 60s when the CFC broke the mold with the brilliant and risky appointment of Ronald Dale Barassi - worked alright. The appointment of the 'Hawthorn bloke', David Alex Parkin, was also out of left field and didn't do too badly for us either. We just didn't know when to ease up on that approach... and also throw away the brown paper bag system!

Unfortunately we didn't move with the times which has cost us dearly, in fact we probably only caught up about 5 years ago. (And if you don't think other clubs have wealthy 'influencers' behind the scenes, you wouldn't be right).

As I said before, it's just too early to make a call on us right now, we're a work in progress new to the modern way of doing things. Patience, Grasshopper, patience.

I'm not making a call right now. But facts are facts, and in the realm of educated opinion, there isn't one thing that I see in the current regime that is much better than any of the previous ones. Not one. Does anyone really think that Teague, long term,  will be better than anyone else ? That Lloyd will be better than McKay ? That Liddle will be better than Trigg ? LoGiudice better than Kernahan ? And don't get me started on the board.

I think you will find the cattle available plays a far greater role than any coach in achieving success. For a while you could be fooled into thinking we had a factory assembly line, where we could produce (or purchase) stars seemingly at will. Which is not in any way to suggest that those teams weren't skilled, didn't train hard etc. But good players make a massive difference. You won't find teams from the 60's to the 80's that were more star studded than ours.

Reply #110
I'm not making a call right now. I think you are - read back over your posts, plenty of 'calls' in there. But facts are facts, and in the realm of educated opinion, there isn't one thing that I see in the current regime that is much better than any of the previous ones. Too early to tell. Not one. Does anyone really think that Teague, long term,  will be better than anyone else ? Too early to tell, but I hope he's more successful than a few of his predecessors! That Lloyd will be better than McKay ? Hope so... too early to tell. That Liddle will be better than Trigg ? Probably is already, delivering on the bottom line big time and chooses to live in Victoria... good indicators! LoGiudice better than Kernahan ? By a mile. And don't get me started on the board. Okay, I won't get you started on the Board.

I think you will find the cattle available plays a far greater role than any coach in achieving success. Disagree. It's not an either/or situation. You need both to be really successful and establish the right culture. Though I believe the leadership provided by superior coaching is the best first step. For a while you could be fooled into thinking we had a factory assembly line, where we could produce (or purchase) stars seemingly at will. Which is not in any way to suggest that those teams weren't skilled, didn't train hard etc. But good players make a massive difference. Naturally, but if not well led it'll be a waste. You won't find teams from the 60's to the 80's that were more star studded than ours. And in 1980, we were star-studded but poorly coached and crashed out of the finals, big time. Also around the same time Tom Hafey was taking an ordinary list into grand finals, year in, year out. In fact, he took over a wooden spoon group and the following year got them into the GF. Whether we like it or not, leadership is a key, on and off the field.

Reply #111
Agree
It's much too early to tell on Teague....but he wont get the same amount of time as Bolton.
But I reckon it's also much too soon to tell on this season.
There's a lot of doom and gloom around this place at the moment.
I'm struggling to see the reason for it given the general mess this season is.
Win on the weekend and the narrative will be completely different.

I'm quite happy with the off-field folk at present.
They've shown they're prepared to make some hard calls...and they'll live or die on the results of those.

Reply #112
Too early to tell is what I've been saying for a few pages, but the evidence submitted so far is not that great.

And how exactly is LoGiudice better than Sticks (not that Sticks was that great) ? - ineffectual, nebbish already presided over 2 mid season sackings, and involved as a board member in a third.

Reply #113
Too early to tell is what I've been saying for a few pages, but the evidence submitted so far is not that great.

And how exactly is LoGiudice better than Sticks (not that Sticks was that great) ? - ineffectual, nebbish already presided over 2 mid season sackings, and involved as a board member in a third.

Exactly, my beef with Bolton sacking wasnt the fact that he was sacked, but the fact that the main people responsible for his hiring didnt go with him. Thats you Juddy and MLG.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #115
Gotta echo Lod's comments.  2020 will be about getting rid of the dead wood (inc overdue retirements) but that doesn't include the coach

Reply #116
Gotta echo Lod's comments.  2020 will be about getting rid of the dead wood (inc overdue retirements) but that doesn't include the coach

Spot on.

Reply #117
Agree
It's much too early to tell on Teague....but he wont get the same amount of time as Bolton.
But I reckon it's also much too soon to tell on this season.
There's a lot of doom and gloom around this place at the moment.
I'm struggling to see the reason for it given the general mess this season is.
Win on the weekend and the narrative will be completely different.

I'm quite happy with the off-field folk at present.
They've shown they're prepared to make some hard calls...and they'll live or die on the results of those.

Our starts since Teague has been coach have been poor but, bar round 23 where we always tend to switch off anyway, we have fought every game out really hard. Previously the white flag would've been raised. We're 6-7 with Teague, better first qtrs and it's alot better. Culture is still our big issues and that won't change overnight. Malthouse's first year with the Pies was 2nd last, off a previous wooden spoon year. 2 years later they were in the GF. Hardwick hard to start off with Richmond's poor culture and eventually turned it around but far from overnight. That's what Teague will need to do, turn round the culture. Right now, with that aspect he's starting from the "bottom". At least, as I said, we are fighting every game out to the death no matter how far we are behind. Not easy doing that week in, week out.  Very few sides could keep doing that. The big issue now is being way behind in game, which is hurting and frustrating all of us.

Reply #118

He presided over strong financial improvement.

Reply #119
I think you will find the cattle available plays a far greater role than any coach in achieving success. If you look at tonight's GWS v the Dishlickers game you'll very clearly see the importance and significance of strong coaching/leadership.