Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2022 Post Game Permutations (Read 5066 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2022 Post Game Permutations

Reply #75
I can't remember a more dominant contested midfield win than last night, we only had 4 mids rotating through the centre bounces for the whole night and between them they had 121 possessions, 48 contested, 26 clearances and 6 goals. The way they played together was really something to watch, seemed to know where each other was, or supposed to be, no panicked disposals, held on to the ball and found the right outlet. Huge tick for the coaches.
I know it's only round 1 but signs are there. 

I was trying to recall if i had seen anyone else at a centre-bounce, other than the big4.... obviously not.   A long time since we have done that - i wonder how many other teams do that??   with Kennedy playing a reasonably reduced time on ground - that means the other 3 must have been in the middle for a looong time...

Reply #76
According to AFL, Kennedy was 73% on ground and Hewitt 75%, Cripps and Cerra both 83%.  If all 22 players had an even amount of time on the ground, it would round up to 82%.

The spirit not to give up, the intensity seemed to be higher and for longer.  Cripps 3 goals straight.  There were many highlights and great things to see, as well as improvement to come.

Well done Blues & the Doc.

Reply #77
I was trying to recall if i had seen anyone else at a centre-bounce, other than the big4.... obviously not.  A long time since we have done that - i wonder how many other teams do that??  with Kennedy playing a reasonably reduced time on ground - that means the other 3 must have been in the middle for a looong time...
Obviously SoJ and De Koning rucked, I'm sure I saw others briefly in the midfield, if I recall there was also one moment when both Cerra and Hewett were on the bench together.

Did I see Durdin and Martin get a rotation in there at one stage? It can be hard to recall what was a centre bounce and what was a regular stoppage.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #78
According to AFL, Kennedy was 73% on ground and Hewitt 75%, Cripps and Cerra both 83%.  If all 22 players had an even amount of time on the ground, it would round up to 82%.

The spirit not to give up, the intensity seemed to be higher and for longer.  Cripps 3 goals straight.  There were many highlights and great things to see, as well as improvement to come.

Well done Blues & the Doc.

If all 4 of our boys spent all their TOG in the middle, they'd get 75% game time each. Clearly they spent a little bit of time on the ground outside the middle as well.

But based of that, it would appear that nobody else was in the middle.
At least at centre bounces, the only centre clearances are credited to those 4 (Cripps 5, Hewitt 2, Kennedy 1, Cerra 1) and our 2 rucks (Pittonet 3, TDK 2).

The best thing about all of this is, keeping in mind we have Walsh coming back too) that we don't need a team full of midfielders.
We can actually have dedicated half-forwards (Martin, Fisher, Silvagni etc) and dedicated half backs (Docherty, Saad, Williams)
and it means we can have genuine outside runners on the wings (Walsh, LOB, Setterfield?)

All in all, it very much reminds me of the Lions and how they went about it.
All this talk about midfield depth over the past 2 decades and seemingly its all out the window now.

Reply #79
Interesting on Thursday night a lot of our team came from another club.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #80
AFL Coaches votes

Carlton v Richmond

10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
6 Adam Cerra (CARL)
4 George Hewett (CARL)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)
1 Marc Pittonet (CARL)

Reply #81
AFL Coaches votes

Carlton v Richmond

10 Patrick Cripps (CARL)
8 Matthew Kennedy (CARL)
6 Adam Cerra (CARL)
4 George Hewett (CARL)
1 Sam Docherty (CARL)
1 Marc Pittonet (CARL)

You reckon we won the game from the midfield?

Reply #83
Obviously SoJ and De Koning rucked, I'm sure I saw others briefly in the midfield, if I recall there was also one moment when both Cerra and Hewett were on the bench together.

Did I see Durdin and Martin get a rotation in there at one stage? It can be hard to recall what was a centre bounce and what was a regular stoppage.

Silvagni took a boundary throw in in the forward line.  Pittonet took most of the centre bounces but De Koning took several in the last quarter.  I don't believe that anyone but Cerra, Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett started in the square for a centre bounce.

It will be interesting to see the adjustments when Walsh comes back  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #84
Silvagni took a boundary throw in in the forward line.  Pittonet took most of the centre bounces but De Koning took several in the last quarter.  I don't believe that anyone but Cerra, Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett started in the square for a centre bounce.

It will be interesting to see the adjustments when Walsh comes back  :-\

Jon Ralph: “Carlton isn’t spinning the magnets in the middle. Only 4 mids attended centre bounces alongside the rucks. Hewett, Cripps & Kennedy attended 22 centre-bounces, Cerra 21.”

Reply #85
I may have missed it but did anyone else note the best part of the match?  Which one you say?  The seconds after the final siren, when we saw thousands of Blues supporters all together leap to their feet. arms in the air, in joyous celebration,  not seen since we won a premiership!

Reply #86
In addition to Chalky's post, for those that were there, what was the crowd noise like when we kicked the 5 goals in 7 mins in the last?

Reply #87
In addition to Chalky's post, for those that were there, what was the crowd noise like when we kicked the 5 goals in 7 mins in the last?
I didn't go, my mate did and he rang me after the game just to tell me how loud the crowd got when:
1. Doc kick his goal
2. With every goal we kicked in the last, the crowd got louder and louder, he can't remember a noise like it and we have been going to watch Carlton live since the late 70s.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #88
https://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/1083396/heroes-of-72-gather-on-a-grand-night-for-carlton

Seems the old boys celebrated the 72 flag on Thursday night at the MCG. Warmed the cockles of my heart to see Waitey back in the fold where he belongs.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #89
Smashed the crap out of them ... what a game that was and I loved every moment. :))

I'd just turned 18