Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game-Carlton v Collingwood (Read 16410 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game-Carlton v Collingwood

Reply #60
Also like what Kennedy brings when he is fit - he is not quick but he seems to avoid getting caught when working in close and has good hands to dish the ball out.

Looks like a good pick up and don't forget still a kid too just looks like an older player - wait till he has 3 seasons or 50-60 games under him. Confident in what i see with him - Have high hopes

Yep, easy to forget only 25 odd games thus far....will be better for the run too. He said himself in his interview he needs to get the run back in his pegs.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #61
Losing Cas before the game and replacing him with O'shea put us behind the eight ball before the bounce. FFS why replace a big guy with a small guy who is a spud!!!!!

O'Shea was the one player held back from the two game in the morning, so there was no other choice.  And as a "type" he is a pretty good option to take that role as he has a bit of versatility , but unfortunately he is a spud of the first order.

Reply #62
Mullet, Lamb and O'Shea - Surf 'n' Turf, with a CoS salad on the side.

Reply #63
Prof , I had Cripps BOG but I had Pendlebury as Collingwoods best player...both had 29 possies but Cripps three goals gave him the edge however Pendlebury is a player you need to watch because a lot of his half touches/tap ons end up with Collingwood players, he is a class act and held their midfield together...Treloar, Adams, Sidebottom get the kudos but Pendlebury never wastes a possie and the only mistake he made all day was getting caught on the boundary by Dow late in the game..
The other stat that caught my eye was clearances.....Pendlebury had 4 but he kept Cripps to 7 which Collingwood would take as a win given our man is usually double figures plus......Cripps went at 82%DE and Pendlebury @86%......the three goals was what gave Cripps the BOG IMo but the Collingwood captain hurt us every time he got the footy...

If you’re going to rely on stats EB, have a look at contested possessions; Pendlebury had 9, Cripps had 20.  The bulk of Pendlebury’s disposals came after receiving a handpass in the clear and you would expect his disposal efficiency to be high.  You also have to consider that Cripps was playing to a losing and/or no ruck and it was Sidebottom, not Pendlebury, who took advantage of that.

Pendlebury took three marks while Cripps took seven, three of which where contested, including the pack mark in Collingwood’s goal square.

Pendlebury had 5 tackles but Cripps had 9 and Pendlebury gave away a couple of frees for holding Cripps and stoppages.

There’s no doubt that Pendlebury had a good game but he was far from Collingwood’s best and not within a bull’s roar of Cripps. 
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #64
The good:

- Cripps & Charlie.....'nuff said.
- Weitering's best game by a mile for quite some time.....I actually felt assured when he had the ball in his hands & that hasn't been the case for far too long. Welcome back son, as shawny said, amazing what a difference having the confidence in your ability back.
- Kennedy's best game for our Club by a mile.....finally got to see the value of the guy we traded for.
- Really liked Paddy Dow's game.......was his best mini-me version of Cripps yet, burnt off Treloar at one stage.....loved that.
- Apart from 2 really, really bad turnovers, Jones was excellent.
- Daisy was very solid.
- Thought Samo's game was pretty good, although he does lack awareness of the proximity of opponents around him at times.
- The overall effort considering the circumstances.....

The bad:

- Was sitting in the MCC, couldn't believe it when I saw Casboult walk of holding his hand, then down the race, how's the friggin' luck....
- Mullet & O'Shea......words fail me. O'Shea played 75% game time, 10 possessions & scored 8 SC points (he was on 1 at 3/4 time)......that's horrendous. Everything he touched turned to poison, was the Pies 27th player (the 4 field umpires were in front of him). Mullet kicked a goal & a seriusly don't remember seeing him before or after that....
- The umpiring was abysmal......the number of unrewarded tackles by Carlton players was as close to cheating as you could get.....

Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #65
Good to see Weiters gaining some confidence.  This might sound weird - but I think he's slowly changing from a boy to a man.  He's starting to look a little more grown up and 'hard'.  He needs to become the general of our backline, exactly like when there was a high ball going to the goal square, with Cox parked under it, and Weiters came across and smashed it over.  He also took a few contested marks around the ground.  He'll be a ripper if he continues onwards and upwards from here.  Us mere mortals need to remember how intimidating it would be playing on a 5 - 10 year gorilla as a teenager.  Some can, some can't, and some take time to adjust.

SPS showed heaps I thought.  He went the hard ball at every opportunity (or maybe I missed one or two where he didn't), but I think he's just starting to become a better player than he was last year.  Second year blues might have got him early on I think.

Poulson doesn't get much of the ball, but he is quick and applies plenty of pressure and tackles well.  I think he is worth persisting with for now.  We desperately need more forward pressure and speed, and sadly don't have many options.

Plowman was just getting back his consistency as a tough and reliable back pocket, and then bang...

Dow & LO'B progressing nicely considering they have been fed to the sharks.  It's a lot easier for youngsters to look good in a team that's up and running, but much harder in a team that's getting beaten every week.  If this initiation makes them tough warriors, then good.  If they can't stand the heat, then better to find out earlier than later.  I'm not a fan of the talk that players get ruined by playing too early - either they're made of the right stuff or they're not.  Do we want players who sook it up coz it's too hard, or blokes that realise how hard it is, and how hard they need to prepare to succeed?  Send the princesses elsewhere.

Can't wait for Pickett to get back.  He was the one player I hoped to see the most improvement from this year, I think his upside is huge.

Reply #66
If you’re going to rely on stats EB, have a look at contested possessions; Pendlebury had 9, Cripps had 20.  The bulk of Pendlebury’s disposals came after receiving a handpass in the clear and you would expect his disposal efficiency to be high.  You also have to consider that Cripps was playing to a losing and/or no ruck and it was Sidebottom, not Pendlebury, who took advantage of that.

Pendlebury took three marks while Cripps took seven, three of which where contested, including the pack mark in Collingwood’s goal square.

Pendlebury had 5 tackles but Cripps had 9 and Pendlebury gave away a couple of frees for holding Cripps and stoppages.

There’s no doubt that Pendlebury had a good game but he was far from Collingwood’s best and not within a bull’s roar of Cripps.

DJ..Got no doubt Cripps was the BOG but Pendlebury did the role on Cripps at the clearances which was his job and the only time he played on Cripps , hurt us the other way and like I said he didnt get a stat for those tap ons/half clearances but everytime he touches the ball we suffered IMO. I'm saying that Collingwood are not much without Pendlebury and he is still the main man for them, in fact its amazing if you look at what he delivers when compared to Daisy who started with Pendlebury in the same year...
I had him easily as the Pies best given he had the job on Cripps at the clearances and also got plenty of ball himself...Sidebottom got more footy but didnt have the same responsibility IMO.....

Reply #67
Good to see Weiters gaining some confidence.  This might sound weird - but I think he's slowly changing from a boy to a man.  He's starting to look a little more grown up and 'hard'.  He needs to become the general of our backline, exactly like when there was a high ball going to the goal square, with Cox parked under it, and Weiters came across and smashed it over.  He also took a few contested marks around the ground.  He'll be a ripper if he continues onwards and upwards from here.  Us mere mortals need to remember how intimidating it would be playing on a 5 - 10 year gorilla as a teenager.  Some can, some can't, and some take time to adjust.

SPS showed heaps I thought.  He went the hard ball at every opportunity (or maybe I missed one or two where he didn't), but I think he's just starting to become a better player than he was last year.  Second year blues might have got him early on I think.

Poulson doesn't get much of the ball, but he is quick and applies plenty of pressure and tackles well.  I think he is worth persisting with for now.  We desperately need more forward pressure and speed, and sadly don't have many options.

Plowman was just getting back his consistency as a tough and reliable back pocket, and then bang...

Dow & LO'B progressing nicely considering they have been fed to the sharks.  It's a lot easier for youngsters to look good in a team that's up and running, but much harder in a team that's getting beaten every week.  If this initiation makes them tough warriors, then good.  If they can't stand the heat, then better to find out earlier than later.  I'm not a fan of the talk that players get ruined by playing too early - either they're made of the right stuff or they're not.  Do we want players who sook it up coz it's too hard, or blokes that realise how hard it is, and how hard they need to prepare to succeed?  Send the princesses elsewhere.

Can't wait for Pickett to get back.  He was the one player I hoped to see the most improvement from this year, I think his upside is huge.

Obrien needs to attack the footy more like Dow, he pulls out of too many contests and is too outside, if you are going to play like that you need to get the ball 30 times a game and use it well......
Agree on Polson....I'd keep playing him and hope his numbers improve, lays a good tackle for his size....
SPS does some good stuff then goes missing...be frustrating to coach given he has plenty of talent...

Reply #68
I thought we had the top 3 out of the top 5 players on the ground, and the other two were not Pendles.

I thought Sidebottom really hurt us, we seem to always have troubles with these medium sized highly mobile types. I also thought Crisp was very good for them, I thought Grundy ended up with a lot of stats but not much influence outside of a couple of very good defensive marks! Hoskin-Elliott was also quite good for them.

Will be an interesting week for AFLCA votes, I think Buckley would not be too happy, he had a lot of blokes out on the ground who only did 95% of the required work! A couple of weeks back I liked the look of them, and some will argue they did what they had to do yesterday, but I cannot recall the really red hot flag teams ever picking and choosing when to give 100%! In all honesty to me it looked like a day where circumstance should have seen them win by 10 or more goals, for more than half the game they were basically curtailed by just 4 or 5 of our team!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
DJ..Got no doubt Cripps was the BOG but Pendlebury did the role on Cripps at the clearances which was his job and the only time he played on Cripps , hurt us the other way and like I said he didnt get a stat for those tap ons/half clearances but everytime he touches the ball we suffered IMO. I'm saying that Collingwood are not much without Pendlebury and he is still the main man for them, in fact its amazing if you look at what he delivers when compared to Daisy who started with Pendlebury in the same year...
I had him easily as the Pies best given he had the job on Cripps at the clearances and also got plenty of ball himself...Sidebottom got more footy but didnt have the same responsibility IMO.....

Fantasy point?

Crippa 146
Pendles 101

Nuff said indeed!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #71
Cripps got 187 Supercoach.

If Cripps could keep his DE up to 80%, equivalent to yesterday's game, he would probably average that on SC.

He's had more football in other games, but his DE was in the mid to low 60s.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
I thought, after the game, that it was unusual to have 3-2-1 going to the side that lost by 20 points. 

I was wondering if the Pies were more even across their team...

Cripps, Simmo and Curnow were absolute standouts.

I also thought Collingwood looked spooked coming off after the half time push & shove.  Treloar could hardly get words out during a quick interview, looked very upset.  They were looking like "the hunted".
"...that's the thing about opinion - you don't have to know anything to have one..."  Andre Agassi commenting on Pat Cash 2004
"...the less you know - the more you believe..." - Bono 2006

Reply #73
boys did well yesterday,BUT i would like to ask the coaches how do opposition sides get a open forward line or get a 1v1 match up ,yet charlie gets 2 def on him or our fwd line is always crowded .How does this happen everyweek?

Reply #74
boys did well yesterday,BUT i would like to ask the coaches how do opposition sides get a open forward line or get a 1v1 match up ,yet charlie gets 2 def on him or our fwd line is always crowded .How does this happen everyweek?

Cause we play 7 in defence, which gives them an extra in their defence.