Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 1 2022 Post Game Permutations (Read 5071 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 1 2022 Post Game Permutations

Reply #16
Forecast post —

Same old same old.. competitive the give up 5 goals …..

Hope I’m wrong….

Big celebration for being wrong coming up🎉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #17
So, what do we think about our defence. McGovern seems to be well worth his spot. Obviously Weitering, Saad, Williams & Docherty are locks too.

But what did we make of Newman & McDonald? I think I heard Jon Ralph say Nic Newman copped a broken nose early, and if that's the case he did pretty well. But he's only 187cm, so does he offer much more than Docherty (185cm) and Williams (183cm) as well as the smaller Saad. He's a bit short to take a 3rd tall, particularly someone like Balta. He'll be competing with Plowman for the role of taking tall or short forwards as they rotate through the forward line. Plowman at 191cm has the height to take taller guys.

McDonald is probably more of a 3rd tall defender rather than a key defender. Obviously, we don't have an obvious FB now Jones committed career suicide. Lewis Young has the height but does he have the body strength to take guys like Lynch?

Reply #18
Strong presser from Vossy, I feel like I can listen to him talk all day long and I'm very pleased for him that things have gotten off on the right foot. There will be bumps along the way Im sure but...
So many stories within the story
Voss - Road to redemption
Doc - Perspective and Love
Bam Bam - The forgotten and often neglected midfield bull
Cezz and Sammy Hamil - Happy to be home
Gov - Rejuvenated and finding your place
I could go on
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #19
Great win and perfect start to the season. Team has very few weak links now and once they gel together will be a bloody string outfit for many years. Finally we look to have really arrived!

Cripps was a tank and proved that he was clearly playing injured last year. Kennedy has become the player we all hoped he would be and Cerra and Hewitt slotted in like they have been there for 5 years.

Only 2 goals from Harry Jack Charlie and tdk yet we had 31 scoring shots. One real positive was the players that lifted in the last were many of the guys who had quieter games to that point.  Thought Martin, Fisher and even TDK gave us real energy in the last.

Just shows you how much we were lacking a few more genuine mids. Was great to watch a blues team twice peg back a deficent against a good team and run over them. Will do our confidence great.

And docs goal was just the heartwarming stuff. This guy is an inspiration to everyone. Amazing to think he was having chemo late into last year and then plays round one and will probably get votes on Brownlow night.  Beyond tough.

Can finally see exactly what we have been building and reckon the afl world would have watched that display and how we did it and thought oh crap there  back! 

Reply #21
I was already happy with the decision to trade for Cerra but what he showed tonight alone was better than I thought he was capable of. He is a serious footballer and much harder, stronger and more poised than I gave him credit for. His best is going to be extremely good and he seems to be relishing playing with this group.

Hewett will give you 25-30 quality disposals each week and is as tough as teak. He is a massive in.

Durdin was our best forward across 4 quarters. Really think he has a massive upside and he made a real a impact - 2 goals and 6 score involvements. We had 14-1 inside 50 tackles - that would have to be some sort of record for us.

Reply #22
For the first time in years, I didn’t get that sinking feeling when we gave up momentum. What was most remarkable was that q4 fight back. 7 unanswered goals against a quality side at that stage of the game is a real credit to the team around the team.

Gov was super down back. Saad was tenacious.
Our mids look like they’ve been together for years.
Pitto was solid. The baby giraffe is going to be a headache for the oppo when he takes the reigns (and grows into his body).
Our smalls stepped up when the heat was on.

I could go on….
Last thought.
Done it for Doc🙏

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #23
Would someone explain the 50m penalty that was awarded to Doc.
I couldn’t see Edwards move off the mark??
I thought it was against Lynch entering the area near the mark behind Edwards. His head dropped straight away after the 50 was awarded

Reply #24
Very good win without being a great win - Bluebaggers sure know how to make noise

Reply #25
That just might be the case. Wasn't the protected area increased to 10 metres either side of the mark. Lynch ran to the left of the mark to pick up a Carlton player running through to the right of the mark. If Lynch came within 10 metres from Docherty or the mark, then it would be a 50. If he'd been following within 2m of that opponent he would have been okay but that wasn't what he was doing.

It's possible, though, it was for the man on the mark doing a bit of a soft shoe shuffle. The feet do need to be stationary.

Reply #26
Would someone explain the 50m penalty that was awarded to Doc.
I couldn’t see Edwards move off the mark??

Lynch ran through the protected area and his opponent wasn't within cooee.  Fifty metres every time.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #27
Can’t believe that last quarter 😳

The crowd was heaving, I’ve watched the last quarter since getting home and it doesn’t even show a 10th of her noise Bluebaggers were making. Unbelievable.

Reminiscent of our prelim win against the Tigers all those years ago!!

Reply #28
I cried twice tonight. The first was Docherty’s goal. That moment transcends football. So moving to see when we all know what that bloke has been through. Sam is an inspiration.

Second moment was when I knew we had it in the bag. It was like a giant weight had been lifted. I feel like I can breathe again as a Carlton supporter.

Never been prouder of these boys!

Reply #29
I cried twice tonight. The first was Docherty’s goal. That moment transcends football. So moving to see when we all know what that bloke has been through. Sam is an inspiration.

Second moment was when I knew we had it in the bag. It was like a giant weight had been lifted. I feel like I can breathe again as a Carlton supporter.

Never been prouder of these boys!
Where the hell have you been?

Been a while.