Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Permutation: AFL Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle (Read 14904 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Permutation: AFL Rd 12: Carlton vs Fremantle

Reply #90
i thought Willo has taken a few positive steps in the last few games...

The conditions were crapty last night and to a lesser extent against WCE.

No more fumbly than Doc quite frankly. Or Samo!
I agree, apart from when Fyfe stole the ball of him, I thought he ran hard and attacked the contest. Took some positive steps fwd.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #91
I thought the moment that Fyfe pinched the ball from Williamson was a telling moment and showed that his confidence is well down. You could see on replay Williamson catch sight of Fyfe in the corner of his eye a split second before taking full control of the ball. He panicked, fumbled and Fyfe just took it away from him. Having said that I still think he did some OK things and will come good if he can get some confidence back.
Big strong dual Brownlow Medalist vs a kid, he'll learn from it.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #92
Did Kennedy get injured?
Corky but will be right said Teague
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #93
deleted
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #94
How  was that ball Simmo took to the face that rebounded 40 mtrs or so? It shows how tough he is. I noticed he and Fyfe were having a long chat at the end of the game. Both are trojans and in a tough sport they are built and wired very similar.

Reply #95
I like what Williamson could potentially be, but he's disappointing ATM. Attack on the contest hasn't been good enough and ball handling is hesitant and fumbly.

I tend to agree.

I'm going to say something that will change the way people see Willo....and once read, you will not be able to unsee.

Willo is reminding me, a lot, of Paul Bower.

The haphazard run off HB, the awkward handballing the fumbling and selling blokes into trouble......

I hope i'm wrong, but i'm seeing a lot of similarities.

Reply #96
I tend to agree.
I'm going to say something that will change the way people see Willo....and once read, you will not be able to unsee.
Willo is reminding me, a lot, of Paul Bower.
The haphazard run off HB, the awkward handballing the fumbling and selling blokes into trouble......
I hope i'm wrong, but i'm seeing a lot of similarities.
I'm sorry Krudd, I respect your insights but I have to disagree on this one. Paul Bower was an absolute donkey. As bad a panic merchant as I've seen. Decision making in the heat of battle was putrid. He was a dead set curse. To put Willo in this class is terribly unfair. He is still in Good, bad and ugly mode but I really have confidence he is improving. Watch this space.

Reply #97
Just on Paul Bower, you simply didn't know what he was going to do - nobody did including him. All instinct and no thought. Just nerves took over I think and he scampered around the place in a panicked jig.

Reply #98
Our disposal. It's either horrible or brilliant as it was against Geelong and the Dogs. Bevo said our disposal efficiency into the F50 was off the chart against the Dogs, on a very wet night. Last night was on the horrible side.

Sometimes I'd rather they just kick a chaos ball into the F50 than just pick out a defender.

Reply #99
I don't think last night was the game to be measuring a players skill level, it was shizen conditions, with shizen umpiring conducted in shizen over-crowded zone style.

I suspect MBB and Spanner must have been umpiring. :D (Added for levity!)

Having watched the replay this morning sMurph was cooked at least twice by umpires maybe even more, but two times it was clear the umpire was behind sMurph with the ball in SMurph's possession but hidden from the umpire, and the umpire pegged him both times for incorrect disposal. It was just an outright guess from the umpire. The second time it looks like sMurph got a handball away that bounced off the tacklers chin and sMurph was penalised. This is professional sport with what amounts to rank amateur umpiring last night.

Then you see a Freo player pick up the pill side on to the umpire, try to take on the tackler and stone cold drop it when tackled and it's a ball up. Even worst was the Casboult holding the ball penalty, less than 20s later a Freo player did exactly the same thing and the other umpire allowed play to go on. It's turning AFL into a joke sport, more Mickey Mouse than Roller Derby or World Championship Wrestling, the comical making an attempt must surely be consigned to the clown alley! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100
I agree, apart from when Fyfe stole the ball of him, I thought he ran hard and attacked the contest. Took some positive steps fwd.

Willo had a couple of unmemorable games coming off his ankle injury. He's been building again since then imo. Slowly but surely. 

I think we also need to remember the toll on our young side from hubbing and travelling. WA, SA, and QLD sides have physical and mental advantage of being at home. Not an excuse but a fact that is likely to impact performance across time.

Whoever played on Walters needs a shout out 👏

For some reason we couldn't mark the ball. Freo were superior in that regard. Have a look what grippo they used 😉
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #101
Imagine Martin and Pittonet and Silvagni being available and in that side.  The kids did well

Reply #103
Imagine Martin and Pittonet and Silvagni being available and in that side.  The kids did well

Martin makes us a 3-4 goal better side most weeks.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #104
Agree.

Did remind myself this is not our full strength team.