Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 19: Pre Game Prayers: Carlton vs Hawthorn (Read 19389 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 19: Pre Game Prayers: Carlton vs Hawthorn

Reply #45
Oh well, did I really think we were trying to win? Must have thought it was 2018 or something.....

Carlton

B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Dylan Buckley.
HB: Sam Docherty, Sam Rowe, Ed Curnow.
C: Blaine Boekhorst, Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson.
HF: Sam Kerridge, Levi Casboult, Dennis Armfield.
F: Nick Graham, Simon White, Jack Silvagni.
Foll: Andrew Phillips, Bryce Gibbs, Matthew Wright.
Int: Matthew Kreuzer, Andrejs Everitt, Liam Sumner, Zach Tuohy.

Emg: Jed Lamb, Liam Jones, Mark Whiley.

In: Andrejs Everitt.

Out: Charlie Curnow (Knee)

Hawthorn

B: Taylor Duryea, James Frawley, Ben Stratton.
HB: Luke Hodge, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall.
C: Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Bradley Hill.
HF: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Brendan Whitecross.
F: James Sicily, Ben McEvoy, Cyril Rioli.
Foll: Jonathon Ceglar, Jordan Lewis, Shaun Burgoyne.
Int: Kaiden Brand, Will Langford, Jonathan O'Rourke, Tim O'Brien.

Emg: Dallas Willsmore, Blake Hardwick, Kurt Heatherley

If we had some idea how to kick goals, I'd be a lot happier. But with 1 key forward, who couldn't get a kick last week, our forward power does not impress.
Ceglar and McEvoy usually dine out on our rucks and we don't usually tag Mitchell, with unsurprising results.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #46
Says a lot about the futures of Jones and KJ at CFC.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
Oh well, did I really think we were trying to win? Must have thought it was 2018 or something.....

Carlton

B: Lachie Plowman, Jacob Weitering, Dylan Buckley.
HB: Sam Docherty, Sam Rowe, Ed Curnow.
C: Blaine Boekhorst, Patrick Cripps, Kade Simpson.
HF: Sam Kerridge, Levi Casboult, Dennis Armfield.
F: Nick Graham, Simon White, Jack Silvagni.
Foll: Andrew Phillips, Bryce Gibbs, Matthew Wright.
Int: Matthew Kreuzer, Andrejs Everitt, Liam Sumner, Zach Tuohy.

Emg: Jed Lamb, Liam Jones, Mark Whiley.

In: Andrejs Everitt.

Out: Charlie Curnow (Knee)

Hawthorn

B: Taylor Duryea, James Frawley, Ben Stratton.
HB: Luke Hodge, Josh Gibson, Grant Birchall.
C: Isaac Smith, Sam Mitchell, Bradley Hill.
HF: Luke Breust, Jack Gunston, Brendan Whitecross.
F: James Sicily, Ben McEvoy, Cyril Rioli.
Foll: Jonathon Ceglar, Jordan Lewis, Shaun Burgoyne.
Int: Kaiden Brand, Will Langford, Jonathan O'Rourke, Tim O'Brien.

Emg: Dallas Willsmore, Blake Hardwick, Kurt Heatherley

If we had some idea how to kick goals, I'd be a lot happier. But with 1 key forward, who couldn't get a kick last week, our forward power does not impress.
Ceglar and McEvoy usually dine out on our rucks and we don't usually tag Mitchell, with unsurprising results.
Unfortunately, as one key forward, he won't get many marks or kicks as the opposition will double and triple team him, especially with slow movement of the ball.  Unless you're a real gun forward, like Fev, the key forward will struggle and for many will hurt their confidence. This is issue is more to do with structure and team selection as it is with the key forward. If we had two then the defence would have to spread to cover them you might see Casboult get up the ground more take a defender or two with him. That would open up the 50 to allow our smaller blokes space to run and kicks some goals. Results mid year proved that to be the case as compared to results early in the year with one key forward where we couldn't kick a goal or win a game. This week a chance to sort that by playing an extra key forward to replace C.Curnow and we choose Everitt. More important we have two key forwards than two ruckmen, who can't play forward and generally don't do anything when off the ball.

Reply #48
Not sure the word future and those names mentioned should be in the same sentence, might be all over red rover for them. It would have been an opportunity to have a last look at Jones , seems to have deserved his chance in the NB's.

Reply #49
6 from 7 with two key forwards, zero from 10 without.

You keep repeating that but that doesn't make it correct.  We won four games with Jones and Casboult as key forwards, including the Port game where Casboult effectively played no part.

Our two other wins were with one key forward and two ruckmen.  That's not counting Everitt, White and Walker as key forwards and one would be very generous to do so.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #50
Might be the first time in 50 yrs we don't have a Carlton Player kicking 20 goals in a season , that was hard to type....

Reply #51

Perhaps it's just maintaining the forward structure that Bolton has preferred for most of the season; one key forward, one resting ruckman and a third tall.

I would have preferred to see Jones in the 22 but my views clearly don't align with those of the MC  ;)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #52
Might the first time in 50 yrs we don't have a Carlton Player kicking 20 goals in a season , that was hard to type....

Wright isn't far off  :)

Reply #53
Wow...our gun Full Forward might have been under our noses all the along...Simon White will jag a lazy 5 this match....better grab a flight down for the match to witness this in person...pfft :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
I'm scratching my head with selection tbh, I went along to the NBs game last week and I'm staggered that Everitt is in ahead of Jones, Everitt was mincing around going half arsed one hand out at contests, Jones hit every contest hard and was clearly best forward on the ground...let me say it again, absolutely staggered!

Reply #54
Not sure the word future and those names mentioned should be in the same sentence, might be all over red rover for them. It would have been an opportunity to have a last look at Jones , seems to have deserved his chance in the NB's.

My point exactly RB. Jones must be wondering what he has to do if all reports of his recent NB performances are right.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
Well Cookie , might be as the jungle drums are tapping bye bye Jonesie

Reply #56
Jones (8 goals from 5 games), Everitt (15 goals from 11 games) and Armfield (12 goals from 10 games) are the only Carlton players this season to average more than 1 goal per game. Jones has the highest average goals per game for the season, in fact: 1.6 goals per game.

I don't know which of these numbers scares me most. It says we have no idea how to kick goals.

Wright has 16 goals from 17 games: 4th place. He and Gibbs have he most goals of any Blue this season.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #57
Bring back FEV reckon he could still win the goal kicking at Carlton if he started this week. Stats are certainly sad Crash , goals still win matches , funny our match committee don't see it that way

Reply #58
Jones (8 goals from 5 games), Everitt (15 goals from 11 games) and Armfield (12 goals from 10 games) are the only Carlton players this season to average more than 1 goal per game. Jones has the highest average goals per game for the season, in fact: 1.6 goals per game.

I don't know which of these numbers scares me most. It says we have no idea how to kick goals.

Wright has 16 goals from 17 games: 4th place. He and Gibbs have he most goals of any Blue this season.

Well, we do have the second lowest 'points for' in the comp!

We have had 27 players kick goals this season and I think that must be a pretty good spread.  Only a few players are significantly down on previous years: Tuohy, Everitt, Casboult and we had Tommy Bell with 17 and Hendo with 10 last year while Judd, Ellard and Carrazzo managed nine between them.

Reply #59
Well, we do have the second lowest 'points for' in the comp!

We have had 27 players kick goals this season and I think that must be a pretty good spread.  Only a few players are significantly down on previous years: Tuohy, Everitt, Casboult and we had Tommy Bell with 17 and Hendo with 10 last year while Judd, Ellard and Carrazzo managed nine between them.
I can but hope that the NextGen forwards we have can improve on these sad figures.

Without looking at the stats, I assume the lowest scorers are either Essendon or Brisbane. I would not like to be in their shoes. I would rather be in our position.
Live Long and Prosper!