Skip to main content
Topic: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond (Read 17262 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Post Game Passion: AFL 2019 Rd 21: Carlton vs. Richmond

Reply #90
Do people honestly think Richmond have mostly highly skilled players?

When I watch their brand of footy, I see a hell of a lot of incorrect disposal that, because of the speed that they do it, goes unnoticed by the umpires.  It makes me think they do their ‘hunt in packs’ Because it provides a wall around their incorrect disposal so they just maul and roll the ball forward.  I can’t stand the way they play..................

It's not a traditional way of playing footy, somewhat impure, but lethally effective in the right hands. I remember Clarkson had a shot at their style a while back.

Reply #91
Hate to keep going at Lang but geez, tell me what he brings to the table each week? Minimal possessions and next to no impact on the game. Kennedy hasn't exactly set the world on fire but in recent weeks was okay and hitting the scoreboard regularly...hard to fathom why Lang was in yesterday and Kennedy wasn't?

With their dangerous small forwards, Stocker needs to come back in this week against St Kilda IMO. Get him and Kennedy in for Lang and O'Brien. I wouldn't be rushing Dow back in on the back of one game in the VFL.

Reply #92
Kennedy was stiff to be dropped, especially given Lang was retained, but I can't see us bringing him back into that forward line. We already look too big and slow, and removing Lang and adding Kennedy is going to make that worse. Can only see Kennedy returning to the forward line if McKay, McGovern or Casboult goes out

Reply #93
That was the coldest day I have had at the footy since a couple of shockers at Arctic Park....

I think we absolutely shot ourselves in the foot at the selection table - forecast was clearly for a wet and miserable afternoon, and yet we went in with a forward line full of big blokes.  Their half back line had an absolute picnic for the first half, and they served it up on a platter for the run of Prestia, Graham, Edwards.  They got most of their first half goals from slingshot attacks, and watching McGovern, Casboult and McKay try to chase Houli et al was ridiculous.  It seemed that we didn't even realise it was raining until we were 6 goals down.  

But to their credit, they hung tough.  Richmond's only goals in the third quarter came from a couple of our backline howlers, and their first goal in the last quarter came after a gimme free kick for a deliberate out of bounds.

If (and it is a big if) we had kicked a couple with the early forays in the last quarter, this could have ended up very differently - they were definitely wobbling half way through the last. 

One player who made big steps in my eyes yesterday was SPS.  I hope they try to turn him into a Houli/Johanesen type as I reckon he has all the attributes needed, and we desperately need some run from our half back line.

And one simple rule of wet weather football - minimal handball.....please! And play smart - kicks out near the boundary line to someone on a lead only ever end up as a 50-50 - kick the damned thing to the top of the goalsquare and let those big blokes crash the pack.
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #94

And one simple rule of wet weather football - minimal handball.....please!  Kick the damned thing to the top of the goalsquare and let those big blokes crash the pack.

Disposals were 376/366 in the Tigers favour. Handballs were 158/134 in their favour, kicks were 232/218 in ours.

Reply #95
Disposals were 376/366 in the Tigers favour. Handballs were 158/134 in their favour, kicks were 232/218 in ours.

Their handballs were mostly to blokes on the run in the clear - we tried to much of the cute in-close stuff......the stats for disposal efficiency were 69-57 to them (and it was 73-51 at half time....) - we had more butchers than Costco on a Saturday morning.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #96
Their handballs were mostly to blokes on the run in the clear - we tried to much of the cute in-close stuff......the stats for disposal efficiency were 69-57 to them (and it was 73-51 at half time....) - we had more butchers than Costco on a Saturday morning.....

Then the issue is not handball to kick ratio, it's butchering the ball. We spent the entire afternoon bombing the ball long into our F50, and it didn't work. Whilst I have a soft spot for a long, simple kicking game into a F50 with strong marking forwards and good crumbers, there is undoubtedly an art involved, one which we have yet to master. Teague has had most of his success playing 1 big bloke and a few smaller ones in the forward half (by necessity as much as anything), so I'm not sure why you would change a winning formula, even though I do understand the conventional wet weather logic. What's more important than understanding the weather is understanding the opposition. Anyway, hopefully a lesson learned.

Reply #97
Then the issue is not handball to kick ratio, it's butchering the ball. We spent the entire afternoon bombing the ball long into our F50, and it didn't work. Whilst I have a soft spot for a long, simple kicking game into a F50 with strong marking forwards and good crumbers, there is undoubtedly an art involved, one which we have yet to master. Teague has had most of his success playing 1 big bloke and a few smaller ones in the forward half (by necessity as much as anything), so I'm not sure why you would change a winning formula, even though I do understand the conventional wet weather logic. What's more important than understanding the weather is understanding the opposition. Anyway, hopefully a lesson learned.

I kind of agree - but Harry, Levi and McGovern went on long leads out to the 50 meter arc and beyond - when they didn't get a clean mark, as happened more often than not, it was whisked away to the other end.  They should have adopted more of a wet weather approach and stayed put more (Lynch certainly did that).  Then the bombs go to a serious contest, and anything can happen.

It's crazy to think that a game plan that works well at Marvel stadium under the roof will work the same way on a wet and windy MCG - and we did little in the first half to recognise and play to that difference.   My point is that our skill level doesn't cut it in the wet (yet), and Richmond are actually the best at it - so that being the case, live within your limitations and stay in the game - six goals down on a day like yesterday was a match killer.

Reply #98
We were also turning the ball over far too much way before it got anywhere near our F50.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #99
I kind of agree - but Harry, Levi and McGovern went on long leads out to the 50 meter arc and beyond - when they didn't get a clean mark, as happened more often than not, it was whisked away to the other end.  They should have adopted more of a wet weather approach and stayed put more (Lynch certainly did that).  Then the bombs go to a serious contest, and anything can happen.

The main reason they went that far up the ground is because our F50 entries were way too shallow, as pointed out by Bartel during the telecast.

Reply #100
We were also turning the ball over far too much way before it got anywhere near our F50.

Yes. I'm not as bummed as others are to be honest. It wasn't a great spectacle, but the Tigers are older, bigger, cleaner, more experienced, more settled and just a more evolved football team. I was expecting worse, and I think the wet weather helped, mainly because it reduced the Tigers skill level and clean use

Reply #101
The main reason they went that far up the ground is because our F50 entries were way too shallow, as pointed out by Bartel during the telecast.

Yes - because we tried to hit guys on leads..... chicken and egg here - when we got the ball, all forwards led out, the deliverer had no one deep, so kicked short to the lead etc etc. We stuffed up at 60m mark, or it spilled, they whisked it away and we were caught on the back foot.  It happened endlessly for the first 45 minutes.  And when they did bang it long, there was no-one there.  Just plain dumb.

Play the percentages and play the conditions - took us 2 quarters of football to work that out.

Reply #102
Jones season over.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #103
Did anyone see Jones get whacked in the throat?