Skip to main content
Topic: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS (Read 24579 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2018 Rd 20: Post Game Calm & Civilized Discussion: Carlton vs GWS

Reply #135
Bonar, in his first game,  had no trouble impacting and running out the game, but our kids like O'Brien didn't.   Either our kids are crap (a theory)  or the season has caught up with them and they're stuffed.

Bonar is a more physically developed player, he is a readymade.....OBrien, Polson etc are little auskickers in comparison...
You look at Melbourne and Roos/Goodwin were clear that they wanted bigger mids like Petracca, Oliver, Brayshaw etc....if you are rebuilding you need to start with more readymade kids, you look at Stkilda and its the same story as us ..too many small lighter players in the middle of the ground.

Reply #136
Assuming Weitering doesn't come up.

Play Kerr or De Konig from the square as a stay at home target to keep the defence honest and keep at least one defender deep.   Play a small at his feet to keep the FB nervous about spoiling.   Run Harry and Chuck higher up the ground, run their tall backs around and blow them up.    Schumacher and MacCreadie  wing/HB.  Maybe even Pickett in that role.

There's more run already.   Bugger o'shea off (5 disposals,  all clangers)  and we might even get the odd ball from defence without it coming back faster than it came out.

Give OBrien a week off.   Looks buggered and hence  ineffective. Tell Lang to get serious inside and replace Graham, who played the "is he even playing? " role on Sunday

That's three replacements already.

Somebody needs to clamp down on Neale and we can't let their half backs and running defenders have a party.. Polson,  Garlett, Wright should aim for a minimum of 6 stuck tackles each

Finally,  Play with some bloody intent.

I just hope we dont do something stupid like start Polson on Walters...

Reply #137
Good pick up. Those of us watching here on the teev yesterday thought the same thing... from the very get go, and we just shook our heads.

Those 2 gimmie misses by Curnow and McKay in the first quarter set the scene. 15846 heads dropped in the stands (I’ll give GWS a couple of hundred supporters) and 22 on the field. A 5 to 1 first quarter should have been 5:3. Those misses were coach and crowd killers.

Reply #138
Collier-Dawkins, Hately, Valente or Smith  EB?

Hately might be ready made and matching it in the SANFL  but I wonder how much upside.  You thought his kicking was iffy as well.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #139
Those 2 gimmie misses by Curnow and McKay in the first quarter set the scene. 15846 heads dropped in the stands (I’ll give GWS a couple of hundred supporters) and 22 on the field. A 5 to 1 first quarter should have been 5:3. Those misses were coach and crowd killers.
Spot on TC. I summarised it like this, they kicked them from everywhere, we missed from almost directly in front.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #140
Spot on TC. I summarised it like this, they kicked them from everywhere, we missed from almost directly in front.

Coach's fault. He should issue a mea culpa asap.

Reply #141
Bonar, in his first game,  had no trouble impacting and running out the game, but our kids like O'Brien didn't.   Either our kids are crap (a theory)  or the season has caught up with them and they're stuffed.

Bonar looks like he's ready to go.  However, he really was the only GWS debutante and was surrounded by a lot more talent and experience than our newbies.

For them record, Bonar spent 79% of the game on the ground and that was probably more than was planned for.  Of our newbies, Charlie played 89%, Harry 85% (admirable given that he played key forward and back up ruck), Polson 82%, Samo 78%, Dow 77%, Pickett 72% and O'Brien 68%.  Byrne, with limited match fitness, played 79%.  I suspect that they are all spending a lot more time on the ground than they should be.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #142
Concerned about LOB given his elite running background.   Only 68 percent game time and looking to have heavy legs from the start.   Recovery from the Suns game?
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #143
Concerned about LOB given his elite running background.   Only 68 percent game time and looking to have heavy legs from the start.   Recovery from the Suns game?

I suspect that he would have been out "managed" if we had anyone else.  I guess it's character building if you follow the "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" line.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #144

It's been a long year for him and Dow on the back of a very limited pre-season.
Probably starting to feel the effects.

Reply #145
I suspect that he would have been out "managed" if we had anyone else.  I guess it's character building if you follow the "what doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" line.

Didn't Custer say that to his men at Little Big Horn? Or maybe it was "they'll never hit us at this ran..........".  ;)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #146
Collier-Dawkins, Hately, Valente or Smith  EB?

Hately might be ready made and matching it in the SANFL  but I wonder how much upside.  You thought his kicking was iffy as well.

Prof..I like Collier-Dawkins and Smith......Hately gets a lot of ball but his kicking isnt great IMO.........Valente is very neat but doesnt have any real weapons.
Collier-Dawkins is the one I would pick but Smith probably is a more standout player because of his pace and goal kicking ability.....
CD is 193cm and charges through packs, kicking is good and he can stand up in tackles and still deliver the footy, can also play forward....not slow for a player his size either...
SOS would probably take Smith IMO...

Reply #147
Didn't Custer say that to his men at Little Big Horn? Or maybe it was "they'll never hit us at this ran..........".  ;)

I should know that Cookie, having spent some time with Lakota people at Wounded Knee and the Black Hills (although they weren't too fussed about what Custer may or may not have said!).  I suspect that it was more along the lines of "Where the f**k did these c***ts come from?" or perhaps, "I should have paid more attention to basic cavalry tactics."

Kelly Clarkson (related to the Angry Ant?) sang about it but, apparently, Friedrich Nietzsche is to blame and his words are translated as “That which does not kill us, makes us stronger."

Reply #148
Nietzsche..the fascists favourite. ;)

Actually some of his quotes are pretty relevant to our situation

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.

Reply #149
Nietzsche..the fascists favourite. ;)

Actually some of his quotes are pretty relevant to our situation

To live is to suffer, to survive is to find some meaning in the suffering.

This is where we need a "like" tab  :)