Skip to main content
Topic: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne (Read 4495 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AFL Rd 9 2024 Pre Game Prognostications Carlton vs Melbourne

Reply #105
In Gov Kemp Ollie Martin
Out Fantasia Cunners Young all omitted Williams Glute/Hurt Feelings

That's better. Much better.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #106
That's better. Much better.
When I picked my side, I didn't think Jack would get up. Rapt he has.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #107
Sub comes from here.....

Interchange:

Jordan Boyd

Adam Cerra

Matthew Cottrell

Corey Durdin

George Hewett

Reply #108
Sub comes from here.....
Interchange:
Jordan Boyd
Adam Cerra
Matthew Cottrell
Corey Durdin
George Hewett
Can only be Durdin as far as I'm concerned. MC have been uncharacteristically smart this week. What goes on?

Reply #109
Don't believe all those ins.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #110
This week's line-up:
B:  [17] Brodie Kemp,  [23] Jacob Weitering,  [2] Lachlan Cowan
HB:  [39] Alex Cincotta,  [11] Mitch McGovern,  [24] Nic Newman
C:  [4] Oliver Hollands,  [9] Patrick Cripps,  [13] Blake Acres
HF:  [21] Jack Martin,  [10] Harry McKay,  [20] Elijah Hollands
F:  [44] Matthew Owies,  [30] Charlie Curnow,  [12] Tom De Koning
R:  [27] Marc Pittonet,  [18] Sam Walsh,  [7] Matthew Kennedy
Int:  [37] Jordan Boyd,  [5] Adam Cerra,  [46] Matthew Cottrell,  [29] George Hewett,  [19] Corey Durdin

Em:  [28] David Cuningham,  [33] Lewis Young,  [14] Orazio Fantasia

My thoughts:
[1] Ollie Hollands is very lucky to be there. Extremely lucky. I would have preferred Binns: he is getting 25 - 30 possessions each week.
[2] Cuningham is a little unlucky to be dropped, considering that it was his first game back. Also, his disposal and decision making was a step from what some of the others were doing.
[3] Young wasn't our worst last week, but what killed him was his lack of attack on the ball on the ground. In the air he wasn't that bad, but on the ground he let Collingwood players in a number of times because they wanted the ball more.
There has been a lot of comment about Young, some of it he deserves, some he does not. He has his strengths, and they are in the air. Also, he didn't turn the ball over that much. But his ground player cost us last week.
[4] Fantasia shouldn't get back into the team until he starts kicking goals, and not just one per game. He might be working hard defensively, but that's not why he is in the team. Getting less than 8 possessions and no goals just isn't something we can maintain.
[5] Our defence looks quite flexible, which isn't always the case. McGovern and Kemp are good 'ins', as they can attack as well as defend. Cincotta really did a job well last week, even though he didn't get a lot of ball. I'd like to see him confident enough to run off guys as well as shutting them down.
[6] Martin is a big 'in' as well. He can do things the other small forwards can't.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #111
4 changes for the 2nd consecutive week I believe. A considerable adjustment is required, and didn’t quite work last week.

We'll need to be switched on and from the get go. We can't afford Dees getting a run of goals. Their strong defence will have our 2 big boys covered. So we'll need to get creative i50

Go Blues

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #112
WIth no Doc/JSOS available, this is almost our best 23 with probably Motlop and Fogarty as the only ones to come in....and maybe Williams if in form. If Marchbank could stay on the park I could see him being the second key defender.

On paper, both teams look very evenly matched. We've probably got the two better key forwards, but they've got arguably the best key defender combo in the game. Midfields are probably pretty even although Gawn probably gives them a slight edge...but we have two ruckmen compared to Gawn and Van Rooyen as backup.

Reply #113
I don't really get the criticism of Lewis Young.  He might provide a few heart in mouth moments but I thought that he defended very well against Collingwood and did the job on Cox and Cameron when they went forward.

Only two of Young's eight marks were contested but he led the way for us with nine 1%ers and only Nic Newman had more intercepts.  On top of that, he only had one turnover for the game, not bad for a "panic merchant".

I imagine that Weitering will take Van Rooyen and we'll need another tall KPD to go with Petty and Gawn when he goes forward.

I wouldn't play Kemp on Fritsch.  Fritsch is too elusive and would exploit Kemp when he provides the extra at marking contests.
I reckon Weitering will have to take Petty given the latter is a lot bigger than Kemp or McGovern....a player who has given Melbourne a different look up forward is ex defender Turner who is 194cm. There might have been a case to keep Young in the team this week for the extra height. Petracca when resting forward will also need a minder and with Fritsch and Pickett also in attendance its going to be a busy night in defense if they get enough supply.
One of TDK or Pittonet might have to follow Gawn down forward if and when he plays there....

Reply #114
WIth no Doc/JSOS available, this is almost our best 23 with probably Motlop and Fogarty as the only ones to come in....and maybe Williams if in form. If Marchbank could stay on the park I could see him being the second key defender.

On paper, both teams look very evenly matched. We've probably got the two better key forwards, but they've got arguably the best key defender combo in the game. Midfields are probably pretty even although Gawn probably gives them a slight edge...but we have two ruckmen compared to Gawn and Van Rooyen as backup.
You've forgotten about another bloke who could be useful right about now in Saad! Will be good to get him back

Reply #115
Whichever midfield wins their team wins this week.

Both teams have firepower in their respective 50 and so F50 entries this week is massive . Get it in there more then them and we should be able to score more and win this week. Sounds simplistic i know but i think the midfield is where this game will be won or lost.

Reply #116
Points for:
Carlton: 3rd
Melbourne: 10th

Points against:
Carlton: 15th
Melbourne: 1st
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #117
That's a lot of changes on top of Martin not having played much footy in recent times, we shouldn't expect much first game back but we can hope to be surprised. For me it's the 1st step of getting things in shape for the second half of the season.

Personally, I'll be happy to see Martin and McGovern get through unscathed.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #118
That's a lot of changes on top of Martin not having played much footy in recent times, we shouldn't expect much first game back but we can hope to be surprised. For me it's the 1st step of getting things in shape for the second half of the season.

Personally, I'll be happy to see Martin and McGovern get through unscathed.

Yep. I wouldn't be expecting to win in the next two weeks.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #119
Yep. I wouldn't be expecting to win in the next two weeks.
We have a list that can sneak wins against good opponents, it would have been nice to sneak one extra over the last few weeks of injury outs.

But expecting wins is a bit over the top, especially when a 1/4 of the team on the day are 1st or 2nd season types, that's hard enough without carrying some older types who are out of form. The group needs contiguous football to click into shape.
The Force Awakens!