Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide (Read 51192 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 5: Post Game Prognostications: Carlton vs Port Adelaide

Reply #45
Immense?

Well he was probs our best player, let's pick apart little words then shall we. He was solid and looked composed for four quarters. Strong hands, good skills.

ffs ????

Reply #46
With you Fly, for a 200 game player he has too many nothing games, was invisible today.  Goal kicking unreliable, panics with the ball, coughs it up under pressure, can't spread...confidence looks shot.

+1

Definitely not one of his better days. I think there is a big chance he will go this year but we need a big strong mature mid to replace him.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #47
Even so they were clearly among our best!

We had zero winners, even Cripps was just a break even with Wines.

Stats wise, Rowe came last but was probably our BOG!

I think Gibbs was okay, Murphy below average, Simpson poor and Docherty WOG.

Agree on Rowe, having a fine season in a tough position.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #48
That 3rd quarter reminded me of the Denis Pagan days.

(Not so) fun fact.

Brittains record at Carlton
44 games (17-27)
61% of all games were losses
5% of all games were 10+ goal losses

Pagans record at Carlton
103 games (77-24-2)
75% of all games were losses
21% of all games were 10+ goal losses

Rattens record at Carlton
116 games (59-56-1)
48% of all games were losses

Micks record at Carlton
52 games (19-32-1)
62% of all games were losses
13% of all games were 10+ goal losses

Boltons record at Carlton
27 games (8-19)
70% of all games were losses
22% of all games were 10+ goal losses

Reply #49
You mean exhausting themselves running both ways?  ;)

You're trying to infer our senior players don't run both ways, but that is clearly not the case as it was the likes of Docherty, Gibbs, Murphy, Simpson, Rowe you saw working at both ends of the ground!

What you don't appreciate is the amount of extra work the senior players are doing to make up for the lack of awareness and positioning by the kids.

Despite a very few moments of interest, the kids tonight excluding C.Curnow were mostly made to look slow, ineffective and timid! They are children, and we are playing way too many of them.

During Bolts presser, when he said the team is picked on form, is clearly bullcrap! He's starting to spin as he sees his chance of being re-signed evaporating!

Rucci nearly asked the tough question but they cut him off, he was going to ask Bolts about the long term risk of playing too many kids and letting them get psychologically and physically smashed!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #50
(Not so) fun fact.

Brittains record at Carlton
44 games (17-27)
61% of all games were losses

Pagans record at Carlton
103 games (77-24-2)
75% of all games were losses
21% of all games were 10+ goal losses

Rattens record at Carlton
116 games (59-56-1)
48% of all games were losses

Micks record at Carlton
52 games (19-32-1)
62% of all games were losses
13% of all games were 10+ goal losses

Boltons record at Carlton
27 games (8-19)
70% of all games were losses
22% of all games were 10+ goal losses

So we need to bring Parkin back?
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #51
Unfortunately there is no stat or measure to show how little the group has actually played together as a unit. If there was one out of 10, we would be a 1 or 2.

Even the mighty Hawthorn with limited senior players and a group that lacked the continuity of playing weeks and weeks together,  is vulnerable to the point of where they had 11 goals were kicked against them in the last quarter, last week.

If you're not prepared to be patient, I suggest you look away for a few years because these days will be here occasionally over the next 2 years.

Reply #52
Watched first half only.  Given that we were 4 goals down very quickly (& game over), I actually thought our attitude was ok.  Would have been nice to be 6.5 at half time.

Experienced players wouldn't have changed the result, but saved a few kids from becoming demoralized.

I think I heard Bolton say Cripps has done something to his obliques, so has been playing injured.

Nothing will be worse than Pagan days,  as our list was terrible with no prospect of getting better.

Reply #53
Geez we missed the big tractor tonight.

The mids had no presence and no protection without him. We looked weak and slow around the ball

Anyone we thinks we can afford to lose him by not extending his contract has rocks in their head.

Cripps aside our mids are a very weak group of footballers and as they are also slow without any contact the opposition just burn us on the spread when they win the ball. Kreuzer ploughs thru the contested play and hurts opposition mids with his bullocking style of play-his big body blocks their run and he makes it so much harder for them as they can rarely use the ball without body contact when he is in the frame.

Might not gets stats for it but we need him and I thought missed him badly tonight.

Reply #54
With you Fly, for a 200 game player he has too many nothing games, was invisible today.  Goal kicking unreliable, panics with the ball, coughs it up under pressure, can't spread...confidence looks shot.

Noticed Gibbs hesitate to attack the ball/player several times. Not sure if that's confidence or a form of self a preservation. I've heard lots of Bagger's refer to him as a cherry picker. I'm just perplexed with the variance in his performance, particularly given his durability.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #55
So we need to bring Parkin back?

Perhaps.

You made reference to Pagan-like performance.

Currently, statistically, we get thumped by 10 goals more often under Bolton than we did under Pagan.....and i think its a long year ahead.
Bolton also has a worse win/loss record than Mick as it stands, only Pagans is worse.

Its funny, during Pagans era we had all these young #1 kids who were going to be our saviours. We also had Fevola. Plenty of hope and potential. Turned out not-so great in the long run.

We have the same kind of hope going now, and we almost all agree that we are in a better off position this time....but...until we are, we're not.

Reply #56
Noticed Gibbs hesitate to attack the ball/player several times. Not sure if that's confidence or a form of self a preservation. I've heard lots of Bagger's refer to him as a cherry picker. I'm just perplexed with the variance in his performance, particularly given his durability.

Played almost 3 quarters with a dislocated or broken thumb, not a bad effort. While that was going on Ling was telling everyone how tough Dangerfield was to play 3 quarters after a knee in the ribs.

Gibbs deserves more respect.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
With the kids not really competitive or contributing the senior players get run into the ground! ;)

I think it's a bit rich to blame the senior players for tonight's performance.  The MC must have decided that getting games into the young blokes is more important than being competitive ... not that there's necessarily anything wrong with that. 

There were good signs from SOJ, Marchbank and Charlie Curnow, Samo wasn't bad and the other young fellows showed glimpses. 

The player that concerns me most is Docherty; after a reasonable game last week, he really struggled tonight.  Perhaps not having the luxury of playing as a loose man has brought him back to the field.

Technically, Phillips won the ruck with 13 hitouts to advantage to Ryder's 9 but that ignores Ryder's impact around the ground.  We certainly missed Kreuzer and, dare I say, Daisy.

Gibbs deserves special recognition for his effort with a dislocated/broken thumb.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #58
Yep doc was terrible. No space to work in and no tsrgets to kick to = turnover merchant.

Bodywork embarrassing for a senior player

Reply #59
Played almost 3 quarters with a dislocated or broken thumb, not a bad effort. While that was going on Ling was telling everyone how tough Dangerfield was to play 3 quarters after a knee in the ribs.

Gibbs deserves more respect.

Didn't know his thumb was injured. That would understandably make one hesitant.
Hope it's not serious. We're running out of beds in the sickbay.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.