Skip to main content
Topic: A List with Real Potential (Read 22900 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: A List with Real Potential

Reply #45
Where is the 2016 Premiership CHF best suited to play? And was drafted as..
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #46
Where is the 2016 Premiership CHF best suited to play? And was drafted as..

You mean the bloke who kicked less than a goal a game in his 9 games this year?

Reply #47
Rowe can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Weitering can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Plowman can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Marchbank can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Jaksch can play forward, but is best as a backman.
White can play forward, but is best as a backman.

Any danger we can get someone who is a better forward than they are a backman?

I agree we've gone a bit "swing man" crazy but Curnow / McKay / Silvagni / Casboult are all forwards. Curnow is a full forward. Cannot see him as a mid at all. Can't wait to see him develop.

Reply #48
Go to the CFC website and watch/listen to the interview with Ed Curnow where he talks about the new draftees. Key points (most poignant for me) he makes about them are:
- Fast
- Clean hands
- Healthy competition for spots
Speaks volumes of the state and direction of the list for mine.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #49
We were chronically short of midfielders. There seems to be a bit better balance to the list post draft. Hoping SPS can play round 1. Palmer for sure and maybe a Pickett hopefully... though he looks chunky at this early stage.

Reply #50
I agree we've gone a bit "swing man" crazy but Curnow / McKay / Silvagni / Casboult are all forwards. Curnow is a full forward. Cannot see him as a mid at all. Can't wait to see him develop.

Rowe was a forward at Norwood, pure & simple. At CFC he's plugged holes. he played 90 odd games for Norwood and kicked 120 odd goals...... better return than most on our list!
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #51
Rowe was a forward at Norwood, pure & simple. At CFC he's plugged holes. he played 90 odd games for Norwood and kicked 120 odd goals...... better return than most on our list!

Yep played CHF and did a bit of rucking, better ruckman than given credit for and is a reasonably straight kick for goal.....squeeze is going to be on down back with Marchbank coming into the team and I'd prefer Weitering to stay down back and Rowe to be moved forward if we need another option especially as Harry McKay probably needs some time to develop in the NB's after missing most of last season..
With Byrne out till the middle of the season it will be interesting to see if we promote a rookie and who....my tip is they didnt recruit Alex Silvagni to play too many n the NB's and he might end up in the seniors earlier than expected..

Reply #52
Of course,  few years ago we had a young blonde No 36 who played off a half back flank and he turned into a fairly handy Centre Half Forward!!

Reply #53
Of course,  few years ago we had a young blonde No 36 who played off a half back flank and he turned into a fairly handy Centre Half Forward!!

A fairly robust individual was No 36..dont think Weitering for example is as durable and needs to be managed in a more conservative fashion at least early in his career...

Reply #54

You're right FB, Rowe may just be the one to go forward with Silvagni (COS) coming into the defence. This would cover us until the younger guys develop and allow Levi to be tried as a Forward/Ruck?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #55
You're right FB, Rowe may just be the one to go forward with Silvagni (COS) coming into the defence. This would cover us until the younger guys develop and allow Levi to be tried as a Forward/Ruck?

I know Rowe did a decent job as a fill in forward/ruck when Kreuzer and Casboult were injured but he really hasn't been a success when tried as a permanent forward.  You certainly couldn't have Rowe and Casboult in the same forward line.

Rowe's best work is done minding the opposition's key forward and that's where he should stay.  Our other tall/medium defenders like White, Weitering and probably Marchbank would be better options as forwards.

“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #56
Rowe can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Weitering can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Plowman can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Marchbank can play forward, but is best as a backman.
Jaksch can play forward, but is best as a backman.
White can play forward, but is best as a backman.

Any danger we can get someone who is a better forward than they are a backman?

I see what you did there...
Where's Fev ?
????????
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #57
I know Rowe did a decent job as a fill in forward/ruck when Kreuzer and Casboult were injured but he really hasn't been a success when tried as a permanent forward.  You certainly couldn't have Rowe and Casboult in the same forward line.

Rowe's best work is done minding the opposition's key forward and that's where he should stay.  Our other tall/medium defenders like White, Weitering and probably Marchbank would be better options as forwards.

Tend to agree DJC
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #58

You could be right about Rowe DJC , but we really haven't been delivering the ball consistently well into F50 for a looong time so any forward would find it tough. With an improved midfield that could well change. WRT Levi, his biggest problem is his kicking as we all know, so however well F50 delivery may be improved that would be of no use in his case if he can't improve in that area. He may well do that but we need a plan B if he doesn't.

Having Rowe as another viable forward option would only be a good thing IMO.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #59
Bolton...."Why all the backmen SOS. Don't we need forwards?"

SOS ... "I was fullback of the century I just like defenders!"

These guys have a plan, a strategy, that's a lot more complicated than this.
They'll be pretty aware of how existing players and the new recruits will fit into the side and the roles they will play.
Those roles may differ significantly from our perceptions of who's a defender and who is not.
The drafting of these players will have been done with a lot more thinking than..."You can never have too many backmen"

We're looking at this from a distance.
They're looking at it from the inside.... with months of preparation, discussion and decision.