Skip to main content
Topic: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne (Read 5478 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: AAMI Community Match vs Melbourne

Reply #60
Willo played the second half as a key forward.  I think that you would have to excuse any errors on his part because of his unfamiliarity with the role.  Of course, he was involved in several chains of possessions that resulted in scores.  He's a lock for Round 1 - unless Doc takes his spot!

Setters was good tonight and played his role very well.  His decision-making in attacking the pill or rolling back into our team defence was very good.  Setter's size and his ability to win marking contests was another positive.  He's another lock for Round 1.

Can’t agree.

They are both locks only if we want to finish bottom 6 imo.

I’m not a fan of LOB either but at least he has qualities and at times you can see why he was picked early in the draft.

Willo is erratic has no composure whatever and disposal is miss more than hit.

Setterfield has no urgency and simply doesn’t do enough to warrant a spot in any team that is serious about playing finals.

Reply #61
My whipping boy is no longer with us, just watch him become a super star now!
Well, he's sure to get a game, seeing as they only have 24 fit players.....
This is now the longest premiership drought in the history of the Carlton Football Club - more evidence of climate change?

Reply #62
Can’t agree.

They are both locks only if we want to finish bottom 6 imo.

I’m not a fan of LOB either but at least he has qualities and at times you can see why he was picked early in the draft.

Willo is erratic has no composure whatever and disposal is miss more than hit.

Setterfield has no urgency and simply doesn’t do enough to warrant a spot in any team that is serious about playing finals.

Testify brother ... both a last resort IMO

Reply #63
Interestingly, I felt Setterfield lacked urgency last night and that was contrast by the way his team-mates used the football in traffic, in the same time it took Setters to decide what to do most team-mates were selling some candy and choosing another option, maybe he is not 100% fit?

This can also be a lack of confidence, I would have put LoB in the same category a year ago, perhaps even Kennedy although Kennedy gets points for forward play and showed improvement late last season. But you could see the positive difference in LoB last night, selling candy and riding bumps to big more powerful built opponents, and that must come from confidence because physically he hasn't changed body shape. It's all in his head!

But then look at Cripps last year versus Cripps last night, what a difference health and confidence makes, is there ever a clearer message to stop playing guys who are broken!

I'm afraid Bolton's "improvement through adversity" ethic really did some damage that has taken a long time to overcome. It think it went too far and caused significant damage, like throwing them all in the river to see who doesn't drown!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Only saw bits and pieces of the game last night.
Great first half by the boys.
Was livid in the third quarter when we were been rundown.
Not very happy at all, however after reading the changes made at half time then can maybe see some reason as to why.
Still don't like to see these lapses where we going missing for a quarter and give up leads or get blown away.
We did have a similar game against Geelong, last year were were all over them for three quarters only to just hold on for the win as per last night.
I think that this type of pattern that really needs to be put to bed before we can seriously make a challenge for the 8 let alone the premiership.

Reply #65
Loved McGovern's game, but I don't think he'll get too many weeks where he gets to play on his own.
Lever pretty much gets to play on his own every week. Dal Santo did a short video analysis for Fox Footy where he noted Lever never plays on the opposition power forwards (and Weitering & OMac/Young would be the man-on-man defenders for us). Lever does take an opponent but sags off him when he runs outside 50 or makes decoy runs. He then reads the incoming ball-carrier and starts moving even before he kicks the ball. In a team defence system, others would take care of his opponent while he attends to his prime responsibility: intercept marking. Of course, it's all about timing and it's easier said than done. It's up to the back 6 to swap around to counter attempts to drag the intercept marker away from the hot spots. 

Reply #66
According to Vossy, Plowman was grabbed from the grandstand and told to get his footy gear on for his cameo in the last quarter.

Vossy had a bit of a chuckle about our forward line with Parks, Willo and Plow all playing very unusual roles for them.  Ash Hanson may have to borrow some of Hamill's squad and give them some lessons in basic forward craft  ::)

It was good that all three made contributions and their adaptability and willingness to take on the challenge would have pleased the coaching panel.  It was interesting that McGovern wasn't shifted forward, and that probably was an important factor in us hanging on for the win.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
Lever pretty much gets to play on his own every week. Dal Santo did a short video analysis for Fox Footy where he noted Lever never plays on the opposition power forwards (and Weitering & OMac/Young would be the man-on-man defenders for us).
I like Lever, but this is exactly why for me Lever isn't a shadow of a Weitering or May type.

Let's hope McGovern gets a similar chop out from a our MC, because he's potentially even better than Lever.

Tough decisions coming for Rnd 1, does De Koning go to the bench allowing Charlie to return, what will the balance be, I suspect we won't run all three talls in the F50 as I think the BigH / De Koning mix was about right, two is enough with either SoJ or Kemp but maybe not both? So many good problems to have!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #68
Interestingly, it seems our Church Mice squad are inadvertently big beneficiaries of the new "Shut the F@#$ Up" rule!

I hope I haven't put the kibosh on them! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #69
I’m not sure why folk are pleased with Matt Kennedy’s game; he only had one tackle 🙄

I guess it’s hard to tackle when you’re the one with the pill 🙂

And, speaking of tackles, what about Tom de Koning’s run-down tackle?  😍
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #70
I arrived home far too late last night to make any comments. It was a long, hot night, but quite enjoyable.

[1] Our midfield work:
I was really pleased with our midfield work, not because our players played well, but because of the way they jelled together and moved the ball to each other. It was really nice to see and gave our forward a much better chance to do something constructive. Cerra and Hewett really fit in well, while Pitto was more than useful on the ground.

[2] Matt Kennedy:
For a guy who was struggling early last year, Kennedy has really turned things around. And not just in the middle, where he took some risks and got rewarded for them. It was his strong marking in the forward line that stood out. he had 9 marks and most of them were really strong. That goes well with 9 clearances. His kicking is much improved, but is still much better on the move than with set shots. His 37 possessions last night really showed how he has improved.

[3] Melbourne are morons:
I cannot believe Melbourne was just so undisciplined. They were lucky not to have more than 8 50 metre penalties paid against them. It might have incensed their fans, but they wouldn't shut up. Nor can they count: 3 times they were caught unable to get 6 players in the right zones and, again, they were lucky it wasn't more. I don't think I've ever seen a stupider display.

[4] Melbourne really wanted to win badly.
I am glad we won for a lot of reasons, not just because it does my mental health so good to win. But we took off our entire forward line at half time. We have parks, Williamson and Plowman as forward for nearly half a game.
Melbourne, on the other hand, clearly had intentions to play some of their lesser known players in the second half. However, they were so shocked at half time that they shelved those plans. At least 2 guys never even made it onto the field, as Melbourne tried desperately to get back into the game. Two others barely got onto the park.
We hurt them. It was wonderful! Even with a non-existent forward line we beat them.

[5] Ruck issues:
Marc Pittonet gave his all last night, but he isn't the sort of ruckman who wins premierships. We will be stronger if he can stay fit. However, we need to develop Tom de Koning's ruck skills and body until he's another NicNat. He has the athleticism. I also have hopes for Mirkov, but he is still very much a work in progress. Seriously, this is an area we really need to develop if we are to challenge.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #71
It's going to be tough to pick a round 1 side off the back of that..

Some players likely to miss that round 1 side include Williamson, cottrell, setterfield, Ed curnow, Newman, Dow, Newnes, plowman...and maybe some more. I reckon there was probably games last year when all of those players were in the same team, but I just can't see it happening.

A forward line of Charlie, Harry, Soj, durdin, owies, Fisher gives us a great mix of marking, crumbing, running, speed and pressure which will find the weakness if opposition defences.
Of course you have wildcards Kennedy, Kemp and De koning to add to the mix as well.

Midfield is clearly improved. The ball move.ent is something I haven't seen from our group in.....decades. The quickness and accuracy of the handballing is something that makes me think Diesel has had a big influence on the group. Lightning quick and devastating. Elite
Pittonet, cripps, Hewitt and cerra with Walsh and the very much improved LOB on the wings is everything we could ask for.

Backline held up remarkable well.
Weitering and gov will be locks, with one of McDonald/young joining them. The  it's a matter of trying to fill the other roles. Saad, Williams and Docherty would all be unlucky to be left out of the back 6.

As mentioned earlier, you'd have Kennedy, Kemp and dekoning on the bench and you have to choose 1 of Martin, plowman, Ed, setterfield, Dow and the other of McDonald/ young.....to join them....and that's while you stocker and Cunningham unavailable.

Competition for spots is as tight as its ever been.

Reply #72
I sincerely doubt Newman will miss Rnd 1 unless he has a niggle.

Time doesn't stop for anyone, Ed might struggle this year except to cover the odd injury.

Not sure based on what we've seen form the two practise matches that Martin gets a start, Durdin getting injured may have saved him, calf strains don't fix themselves in 10 days.

I think the major influence is Voss, the trait of immediately selling some candy to buy some time the moment you take possession is typical of Voss. Just a little midfield trick that they are all doing right under the new coach, even Pitto! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #73
Viney will be an interesting litmus test when it comes to ducking into tackles. When he's about to be tackled, he tilts his shoulders to 45 degrees and lowers his head. In 2 instances I can recall, he milked 1 free and the ump didn't fall for it in the other. It really needs more of a crackdown than the Selwood tactic of lifting his arms to force high contact. Selwood is merely exploiting the modern preference for tackling around the upper arms to prevent handballs rather than tackling around the waist as was more common in days gone by.

The other rule I'd like to see addressed is the shove-out in marking contests. Exhibit A was late in the 1st quarter on the far wing when Lever used 2 hands to the back to push SOS out of a marking contest as SOS jumped, propelling him a couple of metres in the process. At least Lever then returned to the ball drop and got 2 hands to it before spilling it. The more flagrant defensive tactic is to use hands or the shoulder to knock the guy with front position under the ball without even putting the arms up in an attempt to mark the ball themselves (and Eddie Betts did this often, running up and putting the shoulder in the back to push the opponent under the ball with the intent of getting the resulting ground  ball). If I were in charge of the umpires I'd tell them that making contact with someone trying to mark a ball without any attempt to spoil (excluding a "body spoil") or mark is automatically a free kick.  

Reply #74
 Sooooo, GF tickets, how do we get em? ;D
#lidsoff
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time