Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Rd 8: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Marvel (Read 8016 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Rd 8: Northern Blues vs Sandringham at Marvel

Reply #15
Only turned it on halfway through the last quarter. Just in time to see Kerr kick his 3rd....and apparantly end a 9 goal run put on by Sandy.

In fact, i don't think Sandy kicked a goal from that point on. I Shouldn've turned it on earlier ;)

LeBois running into goal 30m out and spraying it under little pressure was criminal.
He half made up for it 1 minute later with a quick snap out of a pack, but if he can't kick the 1st one, he doesn't deserve to be on a list.

Still struggling to understand how he is actually still there.

Were there any emergencies who didn't play?

Reply #16
We didn’t get the game up here in Darwin, but how did Kai Owens (55) from Sandi do ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #17
Sandringham   2.2-14   4.4-28   10.5-65   12.8-80
Northern Blues   5.2-32   7.2-44   7.6-48   10.9-69

Like the seniors, not enough being done by too many players.

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: P. Kerr 3, M. Owies 2, K. LeBois 2, D. Lang, W. Setterfield, K. Keppel
Best Players: M. Blakey, D. Lang, W. Setterfield, S. Fisher, H. Goddard, K. LeBois
I find the best players totally perplexing. Definitely not the way I saw things. Mind you, I only got there at half time. Andrew Phillips and Matthew Lobbe were so dominant in the ruck that it wasn't funny, with Phillips being the better or the two. LeBois did a couple of nice things, but just didn't do enough to get a mention. Lang was OK, but when we needed our mids to lift in the 3rd quarter, he was nowhere to be seen. Setters was quiet. Blakey was good, but not not that good. Fisher disappointed today: he was ordinary when we needed him most. Goddard was reasonable, and Kerr was dangerous.

SANDRINGHAM
Goal Kickers: S. Fox 3, M. King 2, K. Answerth, K. Owens, B. Seccull, N. Hind, D. Armitage, J. Haidon, B. Rice
Best Players: H. Clark, N. Coffield, D. Armitage, K. Answerth, S. Gilbert, K. Owens
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #18
I've seen this before Lods, they are listing the players they want to promote, like they are pumping up their tyres to try and build some confidence!

But that game was broadcast, and we can all see the report is bullcrap, Lang is a wash-out!

If we ever trade with the Handbaggers again supporters should burn the joint to the ground!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #19
I've seen this before Lods, they are listing the players they want to promote, like they are pumping up their tyres to try and build some confidence!

But that game was broadcast, and we can all see the report is bullcrap, Lang is a wash-out!

If we ever trade with the Handbaggers again supporters should burn the joint to the ground!

Have to disagree with you on that call, Spotted One. I thought Lang, particularly in the first half showed some very encouraging dash and confidence. Deserved being mentioned in the best players. Setterfield, however...
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #20
I didn't get to see it Baggers. Did Lang show any physicality? Tackles? Did he win his own footy, or just get fed on the outside?

Reply #21
He did get his own ball and broke tackles to break into the open. He did this a good few times early on. Showed confidence.

Setterfield seemed to get into the action but his disposal was woeful.

Reply #22
Sandringham   2.2-14   4.4-28   10.5-65   12.8-80
Northern Blues   5.2-32   7.2-44   7.6-48   10.9-69

Like the seniors, not enough being done by too many players.

NORTHERN BLUES
Goal Kickers: P. Kerr 3, M. Owies 2, K. LeBois 2, D. Lang, W. Setterfield, K. Keppel
Best Players: M. Blakey, D. Lang, W. Setterfield, S. Fisher, H. Goddard, K. LeBois
I find the best players totally perplexing. Definitely not the way I saw things. Mind you, I only got there at half time. Andrew Phillips and Matthew Lobbe were so dominant in the ruck that it wasn't funny, with Phillips being the better or the two. LeBois did a couple of nice things, but just didn't do enough to get a mention. Lang was OK, but when we needed our mids to lift in the 3rd quarter, he was nowhere to be seen. Setters was quiet. Blakey was good, but not not that good. Fisher disappointed today: he was ordinary when we needed him most. Goddard was reasonable, and Kerr was dangerous.

SANDRINGHAM
Goal Kickers: S. Fox 3, M. King 2, K. Answerth, K. Owens, B. Seccull, N. Hind, D. Armitage, J. Haidon, B. Rice
Best Players: H. Clark, N. Coffield, D. Armitage, K. Answerth, S. Gilbert, K. Owens

Sadly the third qtr wasn't a reflection of the first half. So many of the blokes who were working hard and doing well in the first half went missing in the third qtr in particular. Schumacher deserved a mention in the better players.

Reply #23
He did get his own ball and broke tackles to break into the open. He did this a good few times early on. Showed confidence.

Setterfield seemed to get into the action but his disposal was woeful.

Setterfield has a go and puts himself in the action but isnt pretty to watch, he needs game time to tune his disposal under pressure.
I couldnt work out why he was dropped when we knew Cripps would have Steele and Dunstan on him all day, neither of them are pretty players and Setterfield could have
been a good assistant for Cripps, Kennedy needs more game time too but I'd look to play him off half back and use the good kicking Newman in a more attacking role
further up the ground.

Reply #24
Bloody hell the Fasolo experiment has been an abject failure - just a joke

Reply #25

Doesnt look interested, reckon he is struggling with his mental health issues and it might be better for him to retire.

Reply #26
Doesnt look interested, reckon he is struggling with his mental health issues and it might be better for him to retire.

Looks very slow and lacks the cat like reflexes and long kicking that made him so hard to stop. Pies have really handed us some turkeys with Mcguane, Thomas and now Fazzy boy. Scotland excepted!

Reply #27
I didn't get to see it Baggers. Did Lang show any physicality? Tackles? Did he win his own footy, or just get fed on the outside?

They dont all have to be physical beasts.

We just need someone who can get it and hurt teams on the outside without having to sacrifice on the inside.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #28

I didn't see the last game but he played very well in last week's game.  He was an effective midfielder, got important possessions in defence and kicked goals when they were needed.  I was a little surprised that he didn't get a call up.

I wouldn't write him off just yet.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #29
I thought Lang, particularly in the first half showed some very encouraging dash and confidence.

A teasing show of talent from time to time from Lang.

Phillips still shows enough to suggest he could develop into an AFL ruckman.

Kerr gets some goals, as usual, but I haven't seen enough to suggest he could be effective at AFL level. He can mark cleanly in his hands but only on his own or on the lead; he is not a good contested mark. He might develop but, ATM, Casboult has more to offer.