Skip to main content
Topic: Trumpled (Alternative Leading) (Read 400083 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Trumpled (Alternative Leading)

Reply #1234
Wowee!!!!! Trump just caused the national debt to soar by over $16 Billion IN ONE DAY :o

Extrapolating that over the remainder of his term (assuming he isn't impeached), he will increase the National debt by $23,167,896,156,960.82.  In other words, he will double the national debt!

Total debt 23/2/17: $19,913,901,120,188.15
Total debt 24/2/17: $19,930,147,891,686.72

Will Trump address this?  Will he explain how he stuffed it up so badly and how he's going to fix it?  Of course not.  He cites statistics when they suit him but ignores those that don't.

PS: The above is tongue-in-cheek.  Trump chose to tweet about a MEANINGLESS STATISTIC.  That much is apparent from the memorandum of Keith Hennessy, a link to which is to be found in the Politico article to be found in my previous post.  He is a former Director of the US National Economic Council under George W Bush.  In other words, he was at the top of the tree in terms of delivering econometric advice to the White House.  He understands data such as National Debt figures.  I'd imagine that just about everyone on this site would have little knowledge in this area other than thinking "debt is bad". So, maybe his opinion should count for something.

He stated firmly that the statistic is meaningless.  It fluctuates, so comparing statistics a day or month apart isn't useful.  Moreover, he notes that Trump didn't cause the fluctuations, so he can't take credit for them.  He also points out that Obama confronted the GFC at the start of his term and used a stimulus package to address it.

But is this the new normal of debating?  Instead of addressing the merits of the opinion of Hennessey (which was accurately summarised in the headline), it's dismissed simply because it is referenced by Politico?  I hope that the standards of debating will improve both on this site and in the US.

Reply #1235
PS: The above is tongue-in-cheek.  Trump chose to tweet about a MEANINGLESS STATISTIC.  That much is apparent from the memorandum of Keith Hennessy, a link to which is to be found in the Politico article to be found in my previous post.  He is a former Director of the US National Economic Council under George W Bush.  In other words, he was at the top of the tree in terms of delivering econometric advice to the White House.  He understands data such as National Debt figures.  I'd imagine that just about everyone on this site would have little knowledge in this area other than thinking "debt is bad". So, maybe his opinion should count for something.

He stated firmly that the statistic is meaningless.  It fluctuates, so comparing statistics a day or month apart isn't useful.  Moreover, he notes that Trump didn't cause the fluctuations, so he can't take credit for them.  He also points out that Obama confronted the GFC at the start of his term and used a stimulus package to address it.

But is this the new normal of debating?  Instead of addressing the merits of the opinion of Hennessey (which was accurately summarised in the headline), it's dismissed simply because it is referenced by Politico?  I hope that the standards of debating will improve both on this site and in the US.

Unfortunately MAV nobody is going to read this bit, especially the Trump boosters because they don't want to.

Everybody picks and choses what to quote and what to believe. I've had the same sorts of discussions on this forum about Australian debt, who was responsible for the improvements and who claims responsibility can be decades out of sync. I have a very good source, someone almost as high as you can get in Australian fiscal bureaucracy, that tells me political fiscal policy takes decades to impact the economy making results within one election term almost meaningless.

Trump and his like rely on the ignorance of readers to claim responsibility for short term changes and fluctuations that are meaningless relative to his recent actions.

btw; We can apply the same critical logic to the Zika reporting debate, and also to those recent fresh claims of doom about the pending impact of Ross River Fever. In both cases it is administrators and executives using the very same tactics as Trump, to extrapolate figures from short term fluctuations to garnish funding / support. That is not to say governments shouldn't act, but they shouldn't panic either, I wish they would report the facts and not the cherry picked facts.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #1236
Good reads, MavMan and Spotted One. For someone who is illiterate in such matters your insights are much appreciated.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #1237
Here's another doozy from the world's most powerful moron:
‘Nobody knew that health care could be so complicated’.

Errr...EVERYBODY (except Trump) knew that health care is as complicated as things can be.

Wonder if the bungled special forces operation in Yemen which saw a soldier die in a firefight led Trump to say, "Who knew that special forces operations could be deadly?"

Man, Forrest Gump and Being There have a lot to answer for in perpetuating the American myth that the lucky,naive and stupid beginner can outshine those who know what they're doing. 

Reply #1238
Here's another doozy from the world's most powerful moron:
Errr...EVERYBODY (except Trump) knew that health care is as complicated as things can be.

Wonder if the bungled special forces operation in Yemen which saw a soldier die in a firefight led Trump to say, "Who knew that special forces operations could be deadly?"

Man, Forrest Gump and Being There have a lot to answer for in perpetuating the American myth that the lucky,naive and stupid beginner can outshine those who know what they're doing.

Don't forget the Simpsons episode where Homer meets his half brother, and the half brother gets Homer to design a car for the common man, ignoring the advice of his professional staff.

Reply #1239
It seems that the leader of the free world (that's Rupert Murdoch) has decided that he doesn't like the people who are running the POTUS and has turned the Wall St Journal loose on them.

Interesting times could become even more interesting  :-\
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #1240
It seems that the leader of the free world (that's Rupert Murdoch) has decided that he doesn't like the people who are running the POTUS and has turned the Wall St Journal loose on them.

The Donald himself may be in big trouble though, as a rival "front person" may be about to emerge for 2020!  ::)

http://www.theage.com.au/video/video-entertainment/video-entertainment-news/oprah-hints-at-running-for-president-20170301-4r7ba.html
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #1241

You're timing was impeccable, DJC!

https://www.wsj.com/articles/investigators-probed-jeff-sessions-contacts-with-russian-officials-1488424871?emailToken=JRrzfvh5Y3mUgNM8bMw90kMldbUJBOaVQUnMaWjQPULBuDnXrOyvgr44nMC2pmW0AE194cwN5HIkACLQnGovRtKKgL92lxKjdXdcpZDN1RbOYxiLzBLQIbpD7w%3D%3D

Reply #1242

Reply #1243
Lol

Reply #1244
You have a current debt in a country of USD20 trillion, up 10 trillion in 2 terms of a presidency by the same person with little or no discernible infrastructure improvement
An unsustainable 106% debt to GDP ratio, the highest ever in American history and has been in an upward trajectory since 2008
A treasonous government mired in corruption and a compromised congress. I could go on and on, but cant be fkd

It was never going to get better. They offered up more of the same. Their campaign was lazy, personal, and lacked meaningful optimism for change. She was the wrong candidate and severely underestimated her opponent, who was the underdog and simply outworked her.
Dont let the circus antics of incompetent cobblers with agendas and hollywood filth distract you. McCarthyism is in overdrive. Its the same heads, using the same systems and rackets  to preserve diminishing power and influence at any cost from a buffoon that just simply doesn't buy in to them
Politicians are not my favorite species of humanity, so in america, given the filth lurking in the shadows,  its a case of who i dislike least, and who certain others complain about more.
You cant impeach a president cause you don't like em LOL. If you truly believe in a democracy, the will of the electoral college needs to be respected for this elected leader to deliver on his contract with the people upon being elected.
Perhaps the DNC will learn in future not to tamper with primaries to deliver the best possible candidate for the people and not others - Perhaps not.