Skip to main content
Topic: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon (Read 40424 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: 2017 Round 3 :Post Game Thread - Carlton vs Essendon

Reply #105
Rowe has played plenty of 'best games' during his time at the club. They are quickly forgotten however.

He was, what, top 6 in the B+F last year? Give the bloke some credit, he does his job more often than not.

Agree 100%.

Will be in the top few so far in this years B&F.

Takes the opposition best big forward each week and without fuss hasn't lost one so far this season.

Not sure what he has to do to be appreciated.

Has become one of my favorite players.

Reply #106
Agree 100%.

Will be in the top few so far in this years B&F.

Takes the opposition best big forward each week and without fuss hasn't lost one so far this season.

Not sure what he has to do to be appreciated.

Has become one of my favorite players.
x2. Is ultra reliable, only thing is that silly punch when he should mark, did it today but readjusted his game and took the game on by marking at every opportunity. Solid as a rock.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #107
Full credit to both Cripps and Rowe for actually getting on the park today. 

Reply #108
Bolton gave Worstfold a bath pardon the pun on wet weather football planning.

I braved the elements and went today and we looked so much better structured then what they did. Unless it was a fast break they had little chance to score.

We wanted it more and had a simple and basic gameplan that suited the conditions and was followed for 120 mins.

Well done boys and hats off to you Bolts.

Reply #109
Full credit to both Cripps and Rowe for actually getting on the park today.

X2. Not only got on the park, but were standouts.
That's very gutsy whichever way you look at it. That's gold when it comes to motivation and is pure inspiration.

When our luck is down, our stocks down, or young bodies and minds fatigued, we can look at this game and know we're on the right track. It will just take time.

Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #110
Re: the umpires today - made mistakes in favour of both sides. We were on the wrong end of the stick in the 3rd Q but things swung back our way in the last - deservedly so as we were first to the ball on most occasions.

One thing I'm confused about (maybe someone here can elucidate) - why does a brilliantly executed tackle on the goal line which results in the incorrectly disposed ball spilling through for a point not result in a free kick to the tackler?

I mean, if it happens on the boundary line the free kick seems to trump an 'out of bounds' call?
Happened to us twice today.

Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #111
Re: the umpires today - made mistakes in favour of both sides. We were on the wrong end of the stick in the 3rd Q but things swung back our way in the last - deservedly so as we were first to the ball on most occasions.

One thing I'm confused about (maybe someone here can elucidate) - why does a brilliantly executed tackle on the goal line which results in the incorrectly disposed ball spilling through for a point not result in a free kick to the tackler?

I mean, if it happens on the boundary line the free kick seems to trump an 'out of bounds' call?
Happened to us twice today.

Excellent point, was left wondering on one occasion (must've missed the 2nd).
Hopefully it features in their analysis.
Coming together is the beginning.
Keeping together is progress.
Working together is success.
Henry Ford.

Reply #112
Cripps got pinged for the ridiculous third man up rule today when it seemed that he had nominated to contest the hitout.  On another occasion he ran in as if to contest the hitout but pulled out at the last minute.  Perhaps we'll see more tactics to exploit the rule as Grigg did recently.

Like Nathan Burke, I wake up each morning hoping to hear that the AFL has realised its mistake and changed the rule back.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #113
Cripps got pinged for the ridiculous third man up rule today when it seemed that he had nominated to contest the hitout.  On another occasion he ran in as if to contest the hitout but pulled out at the last minute.  Perhaps we'll see more tactics to exploit the rule as Grigg did recently.

Like Nathan Burke, I wake up each morning hoping to hear that the AFL has realised its mistake and changed the rule back.

x2 Told you it wouldnt work DJ.... ;)

Reply #114
The "deliberate" rule is also farcical at times imo.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #115

This rule change to me is close to the most baffling one of the last 15 years and there has been a few very average ones.

I don't see how a 3rd person coming over the top made the game worse? Sure that team might gain an advantage, but the problem is?
Where too many rucks getting injured?
Was it resulting in extra stoppages?

I really do not get it and it would be really great if they reverse it back. If the 3rd man up infringes illegally or impeded the competing ruck there was always a free anyway, so I think it was a non issue and it should have been left to the coaches to counter it.

Very poor decision by the AFL
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #116
This rule change to me is close to the most baffling one of the last 15 years and there has been a few very average ones.

I don't see how a 3rd person coming over the top made the game worse? Sure that team might gain an advantage, but the problem is?
Where too many rucks getting injured?
Was it resulting in extra stoppages?

I really do not get it and it would be really great if they reverse it back. If the 3rd man up infringes illegally or impeded the competing ruck there was always a free anyway, so I think it was a non issue and it should have been left to the coaches to counter it.

Very poor decision by the AFL

I'm yet to hear any justification for the rule change apart from statistics that the third man up doesn't necessarily mean more or less stoppages.  I'm also yet to hear any credible football commentator say that the rule is a positive change.  Most seem perplexed as to why the rule change was necessary.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #117
Going to have to wait and watch on replay.
What a great win though, if we were to win one game and that game influenced Essendon missing finals I would just about be prepared to accept that season.

6 players with 8 or more tackles including Kreuzer and 2 kids.

Great work blue boys

Line in the sand game.   Played for each other.  Put the body on the line for each other.  All of a sudden i saw A BRAND.   We still need a forward line and a couple of key mids, but today, I actually feel the wheel began to turn.  Go the bluies.

Reply #118
I used to lament to my wife in recent years that there was nothing coming through. We all could see that. Now it is a feast for the eyes,with many yet to display there wares. What a debut for Williamson!! How good is  Sam Petrevski-Seton? Marchbank and Macreadie already look like 10 year veterans. Silvagni is growing with every game. Will be a star. Plowman is a star already. We have Charlie Curnow, Harry Mackay, Zac Fisher, Ciaran Byrne, Gallucci and Lebois standing in the wings. Add the return of Phillips. So much to be excited about.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #119
Am I being over generous to suggest that Murphy, Gibbs and Cripps were able to do what they did because the big bodies of Palmer and Kerridge were doing some of the grunt work that is not reflected in stats??  ( Didn't see the game or replay, just asking!)