Skip to main content
Topic: Should we chase Josh Schache? (Read 20555 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Should we chase Josh Schache?

Reply #45
Those are fair points Thry, but I'm still not sure. Tippett's career thus far has been distinctly underwhelming. He would be a better 2nd ruck than Cas, but he's older, would be more expensive, and has no real presence (Cas is a bit better, but not by much). Plus Cas is a better contested mark, and given his current form, is a better kick for goal. I realize Cas' net worth is now as high as it's likely to be, and one side of the argument says sell now. But on the other hand an argument could be made that says we have put serious amounts of time and effort and resources into getting him sorted, why should others reap the benefits, especially the replacement is of dubious value ?

My devalued Aussie dollar's worth.

All good Paulp, variety is the spice of life as they say and a different opinion is always handy.

I just look at Harry Mckay, Levi, and do the maths, and in about two years time, one of them will be depth (or gone), and the other will be a starting 22 player.

Tippett just turned 30, he can be depth at 32.  Casboult is only 27 and will be 29 in the prime years of his career being displaced by Harry and might want out rather than providing us with depth. 

All this is as an alternative to selling the farm to get Schache too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #46
All good Paulp, variety is the spice of life as they say and a different opinion is always handy.

I just look at Harry Mckay, Levi, and do the maths, and in about two years time, one of them will be depth (or gone), and the other will be a starting 22 player.

Tippett just turned 30, he can be depth at 32.  Casboult is only 27 and will be 29 in the prime years of his career being displaced by Harry and might want out rather than providing us with depth. 

All this is as an alternative to selling the farm to get Schache too.

I seriously think if Kreuzer is still at Carlton and doing the solo ruck stuff there is room for both McKay and Casboult. McKay is ultra-mobile compared to Casboult.

For me McKay competes with SoJ.

Casboult competes more with Kerr.

SoJ could well end up on a wing or in the backline long term.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #47
Nothing official Pretty.

I have a good mate who lives in Sydney and is a member of GWS. He reckons they will have to let some
good regulars go because of salary cap problems .

And Trigger did say a few weeks ago that we were looking to sign a marquee player.

We sure need a good KPF.

I'd be happy if we gave up our 1st & 2nd round picks for the next 2 years to get Josh Kelly + Zac Jones.

Swans & GWS both have massive salary cap problems ... yay!

Reply #48
No to Schache. No to Josh Kelly. No to Zac Jones (What do people see in him, that I don't?) Go to the draft. 2019 is the year to land some big, midfield fish.

Reply #49
No to Schache. No to Josh Kelly. No to Zac Jones (What do people see in him, that I don't?) Go to the draft. 2019 is the year to land some big, midfield fish.

I'm sure that the secret whiteboard at Ikon Headquarters has a list of potential 2019 free agents  and 'out of contracts' on it with a couple of significant names written in bold!

Reply #50
I think we could potentially have almost $6M cap space next year if we wanted to go hard.
If we didn't we could bring forward some players payments next year to open up more space the year after.

Reply #51
I seriously think if Kreuzer is still at Carlton and doing the solo ruck stuff there is room for both McKay and Casboult. McKay is ultra-mobile compared to Casboult.

For me McKay competes with SoJ.

Casboult competes more with Kerr.

SoJ could well end up on a wing or in the backline long term.

I think so too. Bolton said this morning that McKay will continue to ply his trade in the VFL for the time being and will play before the year end. That being the case, if Weitering is going to play in defence then we need to add Jaksch as a key forward. Otherwise that'll be a hard gig for Casboult to be the only key forward, without help, as well as a back up ruck. Did well yesterday but that will wear you down after a while. Often yesterday, when he got beyond the 50, we had no-one tall to kick too, which hurt us a few times. At times he was the one kicking it in there.

Reply #52
Jones? Speed, inside toughness, excellent kick, scores goals, great endurance and importantly only 22 so fits exactly what we need. Wouldn't be as expensive as Fyfe or Dusty.

Reply #53
Jones? Speed, inside toughness, excellent kick, scores goals, great endurance and importantly only 22 so fits exactly what we need. Wouldn't be as expensive as Fyfe or Dusty.

Agree - I'm also a fan.

Reply #54

Jones is a good player but he has been in the system for four years and now at 22 he is showing some results.

I would go hard like really hard for Bontampelli, Oliver, Wines, Shiel or Parker... like throwing kitchen sinks type hard. We need to settle that midfield before looking at anything else and this will take another two years/

Reply #55
Jones is an outside player. Acts tough in the push and shove but doesn't put his head over the ball.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #56
nah, would cost too much, and is unproven
no to Dusty. He Is having a break out season, as he knows the next contract will be his biggest and longest.
His previous contract negotiations have been as messy as cloaks, but his inexperienced manager, has clearly given him the right advice.
your best of the best footy, no problems off field and your commentator mates will pump your wheels week in week out. He will stay with richmond and they will pay 5mil over 5yrs

Reply #57
Schache should be judged on his junior football more than his time at the Lions and on that form, I would be having a nibble.

750k a year for 5? No
400k a year? Yes 500k? Possibly

In between? Hmm.. take a look, but would need clauses.

Schache isn't expected to perform as a 19 year old, so I am not convinced he can't play.
He kicked at crap load at the U/18 carnival.

I think he will start playing good football next year or the year after and so has to be looked at.

But I would rather pa double and get Cameron.
Goals for 2017
=============
Play the most anti-social football in the AFL

Reply #58
Schache should be judged on his junior football more than his time at the Lions and on that form, I would be having a nibble.

750k a year for 5? No
400k a year? Yes 500k? Possibly

If you sign Schache up on that, what are you paying Cripps, SoJ, Plowman, Williamson, Weitering, SPS, Marchbank, etc., etc.?
The Force Awakens!