Skip to main content
Topic: VFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs the Box Hill (Read 5024 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL 2021 Rd 6: Carlton vs the Box Hill

Reply #60
I have yet to see SPS really excite the crowd in any way - to me watching him is like.......well ED or even anejaculation is the best way I can think of putting it. Rhys was certainly laconic in his approach but there was always some excitement and brilliance when he was around, albeit in slow motion at times.  ;D
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
trade sps and setters both slow and weak bodies and one paced i have seen enough

Reply #62
trade sps and setters both slow and weak bodies and one paced i have seen enough

If the Hawks trade Mitchell they may be interested in Setterfield, SPS to Fremantle is the most obvious choice. I personally don't think Mitchell is worth trading for - we need pace and foot skills rather than accumulators that don't hurt the opposition.

Reply #63
If the Hawks trade Mitchell they may be interested in Setterfield, SPS to Fremantle is the most obvious choice. I personally don't think Mitchell is worth trading for - we need pace and foot skills rather than accumulators that don't hurt the opposition.
Mitchell for nothing I would take, Mitchell for a mid 1st rounder which is what they will want isnt worth it IMO.
He doesnt chase, so his man will be loose like Cripps man so then you have problems...the game is quicker and Mitchell doesnt suit
the modern style IMO. He will still be handy as you need accumulators but we need class players who can use the ball well, I'd pay up for a 27 year old  Pendlebury but not for a 27 year old Mitchell.

Reply #64
Mitchell for nothing I would take, Mitchell for a mid 1st rounder which is what they will want isnt worth it IMO.
He doesnt chase, so his man will be loose like Cripps man so then you have problems...the game is quicker and Mitchell doesnt suit
the modern style IMO. He will still be handy as you need accumulators but we need class players who can use the ball well, I'd pay up for a 27 year old  Pendlebury but not for a 27 year old Mitchell.

I dont disagree, but players like Mitchell come into their own when its finals time.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #65
Mitchell can GAGF. He knocked us back when he had a chance to come, we aint a retirement village. StK will take him.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #66
Front running flash in the pan ....

No.

Reply #67
Front running flash in the pan ....

No.
Harsh, great footballer, just not what we need. We need speed and kicking skills.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #68
Just don't need another one in our ranks GTC ... s'all.  Few years back?  Yep

Reply #69
Just don't need another one in our ranks GTC ... s'all.  Few years back?  Yep

Agree, not what we need.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th

Reply #70
I have yet to see SPS really excite the crowd in any way - to me watching him is like.......well ED or even anejaculation is the best way I can think of putting it. Rhys was certainly laconic in his approach but there was always some excitement and brilliance when he was around, albeit in slow motion at times.  ;D
The one things you did see from SPS as an U18 was highlights. He really did make the crowd take notice. He was a dynamic HFF who spent time in the midfield.
In some ways he has improved a lot, but we really don't get the run and carry from him, and he turns the ball over too often. You don't see any of that early magic.
I know there are people inside the club who really rate him, one being Eddie Betts, but I think he has plateaued. There doesn't seem to be the improvement that has happened in recent seasons. Nor is there the zest, the will to get out there and make something happen.
I hope Eddie Betts gets into SPS's ears and asks him the important question: does he really want to be here? And I hope the answer is 'yes', because then there is hope for him. But I am losing faith.
Live Long and Prosper!

Reply #72
Samo’s first game in the twos wasn’t memorable but what I did like was his tackling.  If you’re not getting the pill, you can still impact the game by tackling and Samo certainly did that.

If he continues to do that grunt work, and is played as a half forward/midfielder, he’ll force his way back into the AFL side.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #73
Just wondering if SPS has dropped his bundle a bit after being moved to medical sub initially and then dropped. I reckon his game against Essendon when he came on as the sub to replace Dow was one of his better games...and he was played in the midfield...where he should be played. I was staggered that he was medical sub again the following week on the back of that performance and then dropped altogether.

On Mitchell, yep he's a quality player....has a Brownlow to his name....but watching that game last week, he might've got 40+ possessions but nowhere near as effective as someone like Walsh....not even remotely close. Got a lot of it but didn't impact the game IMO. A lot of handballs or chip kicks that don't punish the opposition. If he came cheap, then yep, worth having him.....but he's not worth giving up our first round pick for and paying a huge contract for.....for those terms I reckon there's a few others you'd go after before him.