Skip to main content
Topic: Round 6 - Blues vs. West Coast Cokers (Read 55321 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 6 - Blues vs. West Coast Cokers

Reply #60
I'm with you Pratty... the kid has something IMO, and has way more upside than others on our list. Simply needs time and development, neither of which this club seems able to provide.  He is NOT a KP player but a flanker, and people forget that.

Is a deceptive, handy size, quick, has a huge hoof, gets to the right positions (which you can't teach), has the necessary defensive mindset and spoils with intent... but is currently too light, lacking core strength, falls over too much, kicks without looking and lacks confidence.  They are all things that can be changed... as opposed to Watson who is simply too slow, has NFI about positioning himself, and on the surface of things appears to be utterly lacking the necessary intent and desire.

I bet that blokes like Mackie looked pretty similar when he started out.  Tall, rangy and blown over in a stiff breeze.

As Penfolds say... the rewards of patience.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #61
I'm with you Pratty... the kid has something IMO, and has way more upside than others on our list. Simply needs time and development, neither of which this club seems able to provide.  He is NOT a KP player but a flanker, and people forget that.

Is a deceptive, handy size, quick, has a huge hoof, gets to the right positions (which you can't teach), has the necessary defensive mindset and spoils with intent... but is currently too light, lacking core strength, falls over too much, kicks without looking and lacks confidence.  They are all things that can be changed... as opposed to Watson who is simply too slow, has NFI about positioning himself, and on the surface of things appears to be utterly lacking the necessary intent and desire.

I bet that blokes like Mackie looked pretty similar when he started out.  Tall, rangy and blown over in a stiff breeze.

As Penfolds say... the rewards of patience.

I'm with you guys.

The question is , does Carlton have the patience?
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #62
Based on what we're seeing at NB, I think so.  He is starting to become a reliable role-player there which is a vast improvement on previous years.   I reckoned when he first appeared that he is a kid that will take a minimum of 4 years to  make it by getting his body where it needs to be.... like Buckley IMO.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #63
Watson has good size and a good left boot, but not much else. WTF were we thinking not grabbing Darling! Still $h1ts me, prefer Rowe, at least he can play on a resting ruck where his speed wont be an issue

Just watching Darling on the weekend he is the closest thing to a modern day Fev, he's lighting fast, built like a brick craphouse and kicks it like a mule, possibly a little less skilled but he is a star at the young age of 21.
There's a reason why i dont watch Eagles games, and he's it!

Reply #64
Bootsma is starting from a long way back....Mackie was good early in his career and showed something...I dont have a problem with him playing but he always seems to get the wrong matchup ie Gunston or the like.....Mick will probably stick him on Darling and ge will get smashed.
FWIW I trhink he will be back in WA next season...

Reply #65
WEST COAST

INJURIES

Xavier Ellis (calf) test

Shannon Hurn (knee) 1-2 weeks

Mark LeCras (broken arm) 2-3 weeks

Beau Waters (shoulder) season

Darren Glass (suspended) 1 week

ON THE BLOCK: Xavier Ellis, who was plagued by calf issues during his time at Hawthorn, succumbed to another calf injury against Port Adelaide on Saturday. Skipper Darren Glass will happily accept a one-match ban for cleaning up Chad Wingard. Josh Hill produced another disappointing performance, failing to kick a goal from nine touches. Jamie Cripps managed only eight possessions.

NO PROBLEMS, JUST OFF NIGHT: DARLING

ON THE CUSP: Sam Butler was switched from defence into the midfield for East Perth in the WAFL on Good Friday and impressed. Big man Scott Lycett was a dominant force up forward, booting 5.1 from 15 touches and eight marks. Plenty of young Eagles turned heads too, including Jeremy McGovern (20 possessions), Blayne Wilson (24) and Callum Sinclair (20). Tom Barass, who has been hampered by a hip injury so far this season, amassed 17 touches in just over a half in his first game of 2014.

BEN WATERWORTH’S FORECAST: The Eagles had a golden opportunity to announce themselves and beat a quality side at home. They did not. While fitness was an issue — Port Adelaide overran Adam Simpson’s men in the fourth quarter — the inaccuracy of Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling in front of goal was costly, with the key forwards finishing with 3.8 between them. The Eagles’ fight and desire will be tested next Saturday when the team travels to Etihad Stadium to take on a rejuvenated Carlton. If they can rebound and win, a top-eight spot seems more realistic.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #66
WEST COAST

INJURIES

Xavier Ellis (calf) test

Shannon Hurn (knee) 1-2 weeks

Mark LeCras (broken arm) 2-3 weeks

Beau Waters (shoulder) season

Darren Glass (suspended) 1 week

ON THE BLOCK: Xavier Ellis, who was plagued by calf issues during his time at Hawthorn, succumbed to another calf injury against Port Adelaide on Saturday. Skipper Darren Glass will happily accept a one-match ban for cleaning up Chad Wingard. Josh Hill produced another disappointing performance, failing to kick a goal from nine touches. Jamie Cripps managed only eight possessions.

NO PROBLEMS, JUST OFF NIGHT: DARLING

ON THE CUSP: Sam Butler was switched from defence into the midfield for East Perth in the WAFL on Good Friday and impressed. Big man Scott Lycett was a dominant force up forward, booting 5.1 from 15 touches and eight marks. Plenty of young Eagles turned heads too, including Jeremy McGovern (20 possessions), Blayne Wilson (24) and Callum Sinclair (20). Tom Barass, who has been hampered by a hip injury so far this season, amassed 17 touches in just over a half in his first game of 2014.

BEN WATERWORTH’S FORECAST: The Eagles had a golden opportunity to announce themselves and beat a quality side at home. They did not. While fitness was an issue — Port Adelaide overran Adam Simpson’s men in the fourth quarter — the inaccuracy of Josh Kennedy and Jack Darling in front of goal was costly, with the key forwards finishing with 3.8 between them. The Eagles’ fight and desire will be tested next Saturday when the team travels to Etihad Stadium to take on a rejuvenated Carlton. If they can rebound and win, a top-eight spot seems more realistic.

Gibb's good mate Beau Waters is the big loss for that side. A genuine hard nut.

A must and should win game.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #67
Officially changes.

In
    Michael Jamison,
    Mitch Robinson,
    Brock McLean,
    Jeff Garlett

Out

Ed Curnow (Leg),
    Patrick Cripps (Omitted),
    Chris Judd (Hamstring),
    Tom Bell (Finger)

Reply #68

B    Andrew Walker,    Michael Jamison,  Zach Tuohy
HB  Dale Thomas, Sam Rowe, Kade Simpson
C  Kane Lucas,  Marc Murphy,Bryce Gibbs
HF    Heath Scotland, Lachie Henderson,Jeff Garlett
F   Chris Yarran,   Jarrad Waite,    Levi Casboult
Fol    Robert Warnock,Brock McLean,Mitch Robinson
I/C Andrejs Everitt, David Ellard, Andrew Carrazzo, Simon White

Emg    Dylan Buckley, Matthew Watson, Troy Menzel

Reply #69
Selections make perfect sense to me.

Cripps was as good as two men short. A spell back in the magoos is just what he needs.
Judd didn't play really so we are two players up already.

Jamison, Brock and Jeffy are the obvious ins with Robbo a toss of the coin probably up against 3 or 4 guys like Cachia, Holman, Graham etc.

I'm assuming Carrots will be the tagger, the only tagger, that's encouraging.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #70

Cripps was as good as two men short. A spell back in the magoos is just what he needs.

Jamison, Brock and Jeffy are the obvious ins with Robbo a toss of the coin probably up against 3 or 4 guys like Cachia, Holman, Graham etc.

Personally i don't like it.
I'd prefer to see Armfield back, the perfect sub.
I'd probably have Menzel + Buckley in ahead of Garlett.

Reply #71
Back to the old guard!
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #72

I agree. Re Armfield and Menzel, but prefer Garlett ahead of Bucks. The Brock inclusion is a worry.
“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect.”

― Mark Twain

Reply #73
In
Michael Jamison, Mitch Robinson, Brock McLean, Jeff Garlett.

Out
Ed Curnow (Leg), Patrick Cripps (Omitted), Chris Judd (Hamstring), Tom Bell (Finger).

Now I didn't watch any of the NB's match but the general feedback was that Garlett did nothing at all to warrant getting a call-up yet he has been gifted one. I'd also like to know if McLean & Robinson played so well that they have earnt a game in comparison to Graham & Buckley.

On the flipside, young Cripps has been flung after getting 17 touches last week.

Hope they know what they are doing here !!

"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #74

I agree. Re Armfield and Menzel, but prefer Garlett ahead of Bucks. The Brock inclusion is a worry.

Brock earnt his recall and he is a mature, hard body. No brainer given the outs....

Jamo a no brainer too but not sure we need White and Rowe as well then?

Garlett's the type of guy to kick 5 goals and adds the x factor to our forward line..... not sure WCE have a type that can go with him.
Finals, then 4 in a row!