Skip to main content
Topic: The Run Home (Read 31094 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: The Run Home

Reply #30
Worst part was Lloyd predicted it before anyone else. Should have paid attention to him, sometimes an outside perspective is needed - even Lloyd's.

We have Yarran, Menzel & Buckley to look forward to at least. BTW what happened to improving the last ten players on the list? We just arse them now?

Reply #31
Thanks Denim...

I to am not trying to turn this into a Ratten thing but if we look at this objectively.

Ratten was sacked because he was perceived to have underperformed. We said top 4 was the goal and were top of the ladder at 4-1 after 5 rounds.

He was sacked as 11 wins and a loss to the Gold Coast was deemed unacceptable for this list.

Now we have a coach who most are happy with, to win 8 games and lose to Melbourne with, because he said the list isn't good enough. Again, if Ratten won 11 games and we played finals last year (by default, but still won one), why are we judging coaches on different criteria and accepting mediocrity from one but not the other?

That's the way I see it. Some see it as fair because the new coach's reputation precedes him. Every coach has a use-by date however and in the last decade or so we've found two of them!
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #32
Thanks Denim...

I to am not trying to turn this into a Ratten thing but if we look at this objectively.

Ratten was sacked because he was perceived to have underperformed. We said top 4 was the goal and were top of the ladder at 4-1 after 5 rounds.

He was sacked as 11 wins and a loss to the Gold Coast was deemed unacceptable for this list.

Now we have a coach who most are happy with, to win 8 games and lose to Melbourne with, because he said the list isn't good enough. Again, if Ratten won 11 games and we played finals last year (by default, but still won one), why are we judging coaches on different criteria and accepting mediocrity from one but not the other?

Hawthorn sacked Peter Schwab in similar circumstances to Ratten, one poor year after four good seasons. Clarkson's first two years were poor with 5 and 9 wins respectively. The rest is history.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #33
Yep nice point MBB...

What was clarksons experience before that?

If we are going on reputation with Malthouse, what made Clarkson a good choice. Why would Malthouse been a better choice than Hinkley (as an example)
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #34
Ok serious question time...

If we are happy with 8 wins in a season and losing to Melbourne why did we sack Ratten?

Because the value of a head coach isn't judged on game science alone. In a realistic sense head coach has duty to direct many of the other departments and people that exist to support the overall vision (which he is responsible for delivering). It's fair to say that a group has to be pulling in the same direction to achieve success. It's been reported that Ratts wasn't that way inclined, that there were some difficulties around managing people, and that he interpreted difference of opinion as personally offensive rather rather than professionally constructive. His forte is predominately the science of the game , rather than that, as well as science of people and the organization. That's why he is an excellent assistant coach. Clearly it had more to do with lack of faith in him as head coach in broader sense, rather than win loss record, the club even implied as such.

For me this seems to be closer to the mark than anything else.

Five years in the job, and at the first sign of trouble on the field they ousted him ignoring the sacking of Fevola, and also the fact that we had been cruelled by injuries in season 2012.

From memory the vote on it was a split vote.  If after 5 years the board still has a split vote on the ability of the senior coach to stay at the club and do the job, then its reasonable to take the action of going a different direction IMHO.  After all, if you dont have faith of the board you are dead man walking anyway.

"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #35
Hawthorn sacked Peter Schwab in similar circumstances to Ratten, one poor year after four good seasons. Clarkson's first two years were poor with 5 and 9 wins respectively. The rest is history.

Carlton sacked Wayne Brittain in  similar circumstances to Ratten, one poor year. Pagans first two years were poor with 4 and 10 wins respectively. The rest is history. ;)

After all, if you dont have faith of the board you are dead man walking anyway.

The board don't seem to have faith in one another.

Reply #36
Yep nice point MBB...

What was clarksons experience before that?

If we are going on reputation with Malthouse, what made Clarkson a good choice. Why would Malthouse been a better choice than Hinkley (as an example)

From wikipedia (hardly the best source, but usually its accurate with a history/timeline of things achieved):

Coaching career

Clarkson served as a runner with the Melbourne Football Club in 1998 and was an assistant coach under Tim Watson at St Kilda in 1999 before taking over as head coach at Werribee in the VFL in 2000. He moved to Central District in South Australia, where he was a Premiership coach in his debut year 2001. In 2003 he became the midfield coach at Port Adelaide and forward coach in 2004.

He was appointed his first senior AFL coaching role at the Hawthorn Football Club for the 2005 season, when the Hawks appointed Clarkson to lead their rebuilding phase. Clarkson was prepared to delist older players and instill a youth policy. Club veterans Rayden Tallis, Mark Graham, Kris Barlow, Luke McCabe and Lance Picioane left the club while Nathan Thompson was trade to North Melbourne. His side could only manage five wins in his debut season. Another round of culling and the club bid farewell to Angelo Lekkas, Nick Holland, and traded Jonathan Hay and Nathan Lonie. Clarkson brought to the club delisted footballers Brent Guerra and Stephen Gilham who he knew from his time at Port Adelaide.

Regarding the second part of your post, I would say that the only reason that stands out to me to go with Malthouse over Hinkley is more to do with trust than anything else.

Its easier to have faith in a man that has been involved in AFL coaching for 30 years that you have worked with in the past (in much of our footy club's cases) than it is to have faith in someone who has yet to perform the role of head coach.

Its also worth nothing that given the presidency situation at our club, any "rookie" or inexperienced coach would have been dead man walking come end of season particularly when you consider that our on field fortunes (regarding getting players out there consistently) have not improved significantly since 2012 and a new President is likely to want to establish a point of difference to the outgoing one.  Its for this reason alone, I dont care about Logiudice becoming president as it means that the point of difference doesnt need to be established... YET.  This might change in a year or two but by then we should have found out whether or not we need to burn it down to rebuild it, or whether or not we are on the right track again.

Paul Hewson

Reply #37
Thanks Denim...

One thing about Clarko was he set the agenda very early. Good players were traded out, the strategy was clear from day one. Our plan changes from month to month. We'll string three wins together and suddenly we'll be at 11 o'clock again.

Reply #38
OK, Some interesting Debate and discussion.

It is becoming clear that the old Carlton way came to the fore here. We coveted someone better and when they became available we paved the way for him to come to the football club. It's not to dissimilar to the Mark Harvey/Ross Lyon scenario which seems to have worked for now. Harvey doing a decent Job, but Lyon doing it better. The thing with that is Lyon built on Harvey's foundations, where Malthouse seems to be stripping it back.

I guess my problem with the whole scenario, is we sacked Ratten that he didn't meet expectations, then lowered those expectations in the media, the supporters and the club, so the new guy, who will not meet the same expectations that Ratten was sacked for, can claim he needs to rebuild.

When Ratten lost to the GC, not a man on here didnt think Ratten was going, yet when we lost to Melbourne, many were OK with that and blamed the list, the development, the injuries (which is a laugh, as we couldn't use that excuse in 2012), the weather, the Crisis in the Ukraine etc... everything but the coach.

I was happy to see improvement with Malthouse, hoping for another finals appearance and games into the young guys and structures and gameplan being bedded down. I havent seen that and thus my expectations have not been met. We will only win 8-10 games this year and that is a fail IMO, but others see it as a necessary evil, yet Ratten wasnt afforded the same luxury.

If we are lucky, the hawks are struggling a bit and we may get them on a good night... I also noticed today that we have 3 x 6 day breaks in a row, then a 8 day break but travel to Perth. I think this will severely hamper any run home that we have.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #39
I believe purely and simply Ratten just couldn't get his head around "the manager" aspect to being a head coach and thus couldn't sell himself to the club and board like Mick probably does. I would go as far as to say that Ratten is probably a better pure footy coach than Mick but just lacked in the overall managing aspect. I mean has anyone seen Mick try and kick a footy (oh god).

Ratten also had to paper over a lot of cracks and wasn't afforded the time to get it right like Mick is being now. Judd was the biggest paper as well.

Reply #40

It is becoming clear that the old Carlton way came to the fore here. We coveted someone better and when they became available we paved the way for him to come to the football club. It's not to dissimilar to the Mark Harvey/Ross Lyon scenario which seems to have worked for now. Harvey doing a decent Job, but Lyon doing it better. The thing with that is Lyon built on Harvey's foundations, where Malthouse seems to be stripping it back.

I guess my problem with the whole scenario, is we sacked Ratten that he didn't meet expectations, then lowered those expectations in the media, the supporters and the club, so the new guy, who will not meet the same expectations that Ratten was sacked for, can claim he needs to rebuild.

When Ratten lost to the GC, not a man on here didnt think Ratten was going, yet when we lost to Melbourne, many were OK with that and blamed the list, the development, the injuries (which is a laugh, as we couldn't use that excuse in 2012), the weather, the Crisis in the Ukraine etc... everything but the coach.

I was happy to see improvement with Malthouse, hoping for another finals appearance and games into the young guys and structures and gameplan being bedded down. I havent seen that and thus my expectations have not been met. We will only win 8-10 games this year and that is a fail IMO, but others see it as a necessary evil, yet Ratten wasnt afforded the same luxury.

If we are lucky, the hawks are struggling a bit and we may get them on a good night... I also noticed today that we have 3 x 6 day breaks in a row, then a 8 day break but travel to Perth. I think this will severely hamper any run home that we have.

Firstly before we continue, I too am dissapointed.  I like everyone else here, had us on the improve and remember being bullish about our chances for the year on paper.  The thing that the first 4 rounds taught me though was that we are intrinsically a team of 2 layers relying on sometimes propositions.

Group 1 Layer that fires and wins us games.

Group 2 Layer that is a group with a blend of different deficiencies.  Some are kids learning their trade.  Others are supremely talented but are "off" more often than they are on, others are honest triers that are more suited to VFL football than they are AFL football and are exposed against the strongest sides in the competition.

Then you divide up our list into those 2 layers.  You recognise that over the past few years, more have moved from group 1 and into group 2, and almost none have made the jump from group 2 into group 1.  Some of this is regression of top end talent (getting older, slower, more injured and unable to deliver the top level footy that they have been) and the others are players that stopped developing and other sides started figuring out how to nullify their strengths or that having fewer that are in layer 1 means that the rest have more pressure piled onto them.  Too much left to too few.  Seems normal at Carlton, must change as I dont see this occurring with premiership teams in the modern era.

On reflection, 2012 told us the story.  Our layer that fires and wins us games largely broke down.  Our expectations changed so dramatically that finally not making the 8 was the straw that broke the camels back rather than missing the top 4 altogether.  The reality is, the camel broke before then.  The camel broke when we failed to create an environment that had a team that was really playing for each other, and had everyone worked together to achieve our results and not through individual brilliance.  Again, the weakest link in the most recent premiership sides have often been the guys that have won premierships for teams (Lewis Roberts-Thompson is an example).

Of your post I have selected some points. 

1.  The old Carlton way I dont think was a factor here.  I think its too easy to look at the old Carlton way of doing things as the reason for why we got Malthouse.  I think its more to do with faith in people and relationships.  The old Carlton way was linked to the old regime and where ours resembles that way of doing things, different personnell are ringing in these changes.  The culture of the place must have changed from that at some point (surely).  When I think of the old Carlton way, it resembles more Elliott than it does Pratt.  Elliott is a lie, cheat, steal and influence approach getting in a quick fix.  Pratt is a matter of getting in the right people to do the job.

2.  Stripping it back.  The popular opinion of many has been that this was not only required but necessary to make the right moves required to really start playing good hard, tough uncompromising footy.  I think comparing Lyon and Malthouse muddies the waters.  Harvey wasnt as good a coach as Ratten, and as it appears, Harvey had more talent to work with than Harvey did, combined with a home ground advantage and a monstor ruckman that they really failed to make good use of during the journey.  Lets not forget that Freo were a starter club and have been afforded a few luxuries that Carlton have not.  The comparison is not even.  You might argue that Malthouse should have had an easier time given Ratten's achievements, but I think that some of the foundations of Ratten and Micks game plan are polar opposites which results in some of our boys having a really hard time adjusting how they play.  Ratten more about getting the ball forward quickly, Malthouse a little bit more patiently and precisely.  Not conducive to the same skillsets.

3.  Has Malthouse been the one to lower our expectations?  I debate it.  I would say the way our guys have played their footy has resulted in this rather than anything else.  The inability to hit passes to players advantage is not a new thing for our team, and it happens frequently every game where guys are picking balls up off their toes, rather than running onto a ball at chest height.  Hospital passes where we leave a bloke a sitting duck underneath the footy, or having to halve a contest between two opponents to win it.  Ratten even blamed losing critical contests in season 2012 as to why we failed to win some games.  Its not new and its been a problem for a while.  Again, a leopard doesnt change its spots easily.

4.  Melbourne.  This result muddies the perspective.  They wanted it more. Going back to the layers, Layer 1 misfired again, and we lost.  Not surprising.  We will lose in this fashion again until layer 2 starts providing the winning form.  Layer 1 will re discover that form when it happens, and we will look better for it but until layer 2 becomes good forget achieving a lot.

5.   Our season.  Going back to our layers, the expectation on our wins, changes based on our top layer players again.  Murphy and Gibbs are firing and we are showing a bit more winning form, but as we saw against the Pies and the Bombers any team that gets us on an "off" day will more than likely beat us particularly if they are not as schizofrenic as our team is with its form.  Richmond are very much like us and have been over the journy

In closing, I can see why people are concerned.  People have every right to be pessimistic and questioning of what is going on.  Its the nature of our recent history that makes you do so, and nothing more.  So long as we are not auctioning off our future to have some short term gains and short term wins then you know we are on the right track.  We are not that good.  We must continue looking to build for tomorrow.

Paul Hewson

Reply #41

Totally agree mate, it's amazing how many can't see it.  Pepole I talk to plus some on here, who only 18mths ago had expectation with th enew coach that year 1 = learning year, year 2 = improve to move into top 4-6.  Now those same people are excited and happy to accept anthother 3 years of pain and this year are already booking September holidays.
Excuses year 1, blame year 2, contract extention year 3........

Reply #42
Carlton sacked Wayne Brittain in  similar circumstances to Ratten, one poor year. Pagans first two years were poor with 4 and 10 wins respectively. The rest is history. ;)

We keep going back to Pagan but his record was beyond poor, the Essendon game in rd 3 was horrific but that happened every 3 or 4 weeks when Pagan was around. Aside from their age I just don't see any similarities.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #43
Quote from: Thryleon
On reflection, 2012 told us the story.  Our layer that fires and wins us games largely broke down.  Our expectations changed so dramatically that finally not making the 8 was the straw that broke the camels back rather than missing the top 4 altogether.  The reality is, the camel broke before then.  The camel broke when we failed to create an environment that had a team that was really playing for each other, and had everyone worked together to achieve our results and not through individual brilliance.

See that's nothing but an assumption. Facts say Ratten did very well in building this side. The weaknesses have become apparent under MM. Strange coincidence?

1.  The old Carlton way I dont think was a factor here.  I think its too easy to look at the old Carlton way of doing things as the reason for why we got Malthouse.  I think its more to do with faith in people and relationships.  The old Carlton way was linked to the old regime and where ours resembles that way of doing things, different personnell are ringing in these changes.  The culture of the place must have changed from that at some point (surely).  When I think of the old Carlton way, it resembles more Elliott than it does Pratt.  Elliott is a lie, cheat, steal and influence approach getting in a quick fix.  Pratt is a matter of getting in the right people to do the job.

Kernahan oversaw the extension of Pagan's contract and the hiring of MM. Same old regime, same old way. Once again, your arguments are based on assumption, in reality you don't really know. You're just putting forward a hypothetical that supports the club's decision. In reality, it means little.

2.  Stripping it back.  The popular opinion of many has been that this was not only required but necessary to make the right moves required to really start playing good hard, tough uncompromising footy.  I think comparing Lyon and Malthouse muddies the waters.  Harvey wasnt as good a coach as Ratten, and as it appears, Harvey had more talent to work with than Harvey did, combined with a home ground advantage and a monstor ruckman that they really failed to make good use of during the journey.  Lets not forget that Freo were a starter club and have been afforded a few luxuries that Carlton have not.  The comparison is not even.  You might argue that Malthouse should have had an easier time given Ratten's achievements, but I think that some of the foundations of Ratten and Micks game plan are polar opposites which results in some of our boys having a really hard time adjusting how they play.  Ratten more about getting the ball forward quickly, Malthouse a little bit more patiently and precisely.  Not conducive to the same skillsets.

So why do you pay so much money for a coach that struggles to adapt to a list and demands a list gets turned over to support his archaic gameplan? In reality, that's what you're saying, our list does not suit MM's gameplan. Surely this would affect the 'layer 1' players as you put it as they're the ones that will win the game. MM has failed to adapt to the list at all, Ratten worked out a gameplan to complement the list.

3.  Has Malthouse been the one to lower our expectations?  I debate it.  I would say the way our guys have played their footy has resulted in this rather than anything else.  The inability to hit passes to players advantage is not a new thing for our team, and it happens frequently every game where guys are picking balls up off their toes, rather than running onto a ball at chest height.  Hospital passes where we leave a bloke a sitting duck underneath the footy, or having to halve a contest between two opponents to win it.  Ratten even blamed losing critical contests in season 2012 as to why we failed to win some games.  Its not new and its been a problem for a while.  Again, a leopard doesnt change its spots easily.

Our guys have played footy the way Mick has wanted them to. It hasn't worked at all. Once again, this would affect our layer 1 players as you put it as they're the ones that will win us games. Malthouse is accountable, you don't seem to want to push any blame onto him at all.

4.  Melbourne.  This result muddies the perspective.  They wanted it more. Going back to the layers, Layer 1 misfired again, and we lost.  Not surprising.  We will lose in this fashion again until layer 2 starts providing the winning form.  Layer 1 will re discover that form when it happens, and we will look better for it but until layer 2 becomes good forget achieving a lot.

So who exactly is responsible for layer 1 performing? When we lose no doubt it's them, but when we win mick gets the credit. Do you not see the hypocrisy? The facts are, these players are underperforming under the current coach, and the flaws you point to were only apparent under the previous regime in 2012, when we were riddled with injury.

5.   Our season.  Going back to our layers, the expectation on our wins, changes based on our top layer players again.  Murphy and Gibbs are firing and we are showing a bit more winning form, but as we saw against the Pies and the Bombers any team that gets us on an "off" day will more than likely beat us particularly if they are not as schizofrenic as our team is with its form.  Richmond are very much like us and have been over the journy

This is no different to any other side. The coach has a responsibility to get said 'layer 1'players up on a regular basis.

Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #44

We keep going back to Pagan but his record was beyond poor, the Essendon game in rd 3 was horrific but that happened every 3 or 4 weeks when Pagan was around. Aside from their age I just don't see any similarities.

Pagan had excuses, his list was awful, regardless of who's fault that was.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!