Skip to main content
Topic: RD 12 : Blues Robbed By Cats (Despair & Teeth-Grinding) (Read 55104 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: RD 12 : Blues Robbed By Cats (Despair & Teeth-Grinding)

Reply #151
Any runner too close to the mix (the "stoppage" line is a furphy - the guy was in the way - full stop) - is a free every day of every week.

I would be checking if Lappin/the Cats have form in this area (someone said Freo's runners are notorious for it?) and considering a formal complaint.

Surely, if there is a strong argument that it was by design i.e. likely pre meditated and points should be reversed!

Seriously.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #152
Any runner too close to the mix (the "stoppage" line is a furphy - the guy was in the way - full stop) - is a free every day of every week.

I would be checking if Lappin/the Cats have form in this area (someone said Freo's runners are notorious for it?) and considering a formal complaint.

Surely, if there is a strong argument that it was by design i.e. likely pre meditated and points should be reversed!

Seriously.

The issue of runners on the field needs to be looked at full stop. In my view, they should only be on there to help an injured player off the field. Every other reason should be outlawed asap.

Reply #153
No runners. They are used to fill space. If coaches want to get a message to players, they can do it through the interchange gate. Will also reduce costs for clubs.

Reply #154
Just watched the replay.....I know sucker for punishment.

One thing I'd like to know is how Roffey could be so absolutely sure of herself to not even bother asking for a goal replay on that one that Waite kicked off the ground in the 3rd ????........I sure as heck couldn't see a touch on the 3 replays I saw.

But she's one of the chosen ones, and so, of course, untouchable.
Life is pain....... anyone who says differently is selling something.

Reply #155
Just watched the replay.....I know sucker for punishment.

One thing I'd like to know is how Roffey could be so absolutely sure of herself to not even bother asking for a goal replay on that one that Waite kicked off the ground in the 3rd ????........I sure as heck couldn't see a touch on the 3 replays I saw.

But she's one of the chosen ones, and so, of course, untouchable.

Roffey makes less mistakes than most.

I would have put the hard word on the field umpire for not suggesting that it may be worth a look.

Reply #156
I also watched a replay of the game, how many times does Corey Enright incorrectly dispose the ball???

Reply #157
I also watched a replay of the game, how many times does Corey Enright incorrectly dispose the ball???

The cats are kings of incorrect disposal and getting away with it.

Reply #158

The cats are kings of incorrect disposal and getting away with it.

The Eagles are very tidy at it too.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #159
No runners. They are used to fill space. If coaches want to get a message to players, they can do it through the interchange gate. Will also reduce costs for clubs.

Not sure if it has been previously mentioned, but Nigel Lappin is a FULL TIME DEVELOPMENT COACH at Geelong, therefore they have a coach as a runner.......Handy situation!

Reply #160

Not sure if it has been previously mentioned, but Nigel Lappin is a FULL TIME DEVELOPMENT COACH at Geelong, therefore they have a coach as a runner.......Handy situation!
Steady tiger, Osborne is our development coach and runner.
2017-16th
2018-Wooden Spoon
2019-16th
2020-dare to dream? 11th is better than last I suppose
2021-Pi$$ or get off the pot
2022- Real Deal or more of the same? 0.6%
2023- "Raise the Standard" - M. Voss Another year wasted Bar Set
2024-Back to the drawing boardNo excuses, its time

Reply #161

Steady tiger, Osborne is our development coach and runner.

Oops.....good to see we're progressive!!

Reply #162
It was definitely a free kick to Menzel but what cost us the game was lack of nous and/or understanding by our on field leaders.  Selwood should have been shut down and we should have set up defensively at each stoppage to protect the lead.

Perhaps it's because we lack seasoned players (apart from Judd) who know how to win tight games.  Gibbs, Murphy, Henderson, Carrazzo, etc have never had on field leaders who had been taught to take control and shut down close games and who could pass on that knowledge.  It may also be a failing of successive coaches to ensure that the on field leaders know when and how to focus on defence.

Spot on, I would say. On 774 on Sat. morning they asked Harry Taylor what Geelong would have done differently to Carlton at that stoppage where Selwood walked through the hole. He rattled off 5 or 6 'checks' which have been drilled into them. First was getting numbers back. Second was seeking out and shutting down the known match winners. Third was setting the blocks so there was no 'hole' goalside, ... and a few more.

When asked who is responsible for ensuring these tactics are adhered to in the heat of the battle he answered "the leaders".

Did anyone see any Carlton players directing traffic at this play?  I didn't.  A lot of us have often commented on how even The Great One (Juddy) never seems to do much talking or marshalling.

To my mind, this is yet another example of poor development over the years. Or did we not recruit the right players who have 'innate' leadership qualities?  Shoot, this chicken and egg argument does my head in  :-\
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #163
@ivan...yep almost all about recruitment and development
If we were the best at it, 50% of this site content will be reduced...

Reply #164
Pretty surprised that the Pussy Cats didn't even get a please explain from the AFL re Lappin getting into the thick of the action in their goal square in the last minute of play.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17