Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong (Read 52562 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong

Reply #60
Very positive for me.

Not just because of the guys we had out, but how it affected our structure. Rowe played a lot forward. Wood had no real help in the ruck. Murph and Daisy having there first run looked very scratchy. The kids really stuck with it, never threw the towel in.
Eat more chooks

Reply #61
Cripps was good and is a lock in for round 1 but needs to do more with the ball by foot, however the rest of his game is very good and showed the way today and has some leadership prospects IMO....his big frame helped him vs the Geelong bigger bodies and I thought Bell was handy as well getting the footy and getting his big body into contests....still burns the ball does Bell but at least he gave some effort when we were down..
Contrast was Boekhorst who started well enough but once Geelong got rolling he wasnt sighted and his light frame meant he was out of the picture with the contested stuff and was just pushed off the ball.

Our forward line other than Menzel was next to useless although to be fair the delivery wasnt anything like what Hawkins and Clark got....Mnezel is a class player and we need to pray he doesnt get injured...

Watson doesnt move around enough and is a one trick pony with his big kicking.....isnt the answer up forward IMO.
Henderson...not really anywhere near his best and while being able to play both ends isnt playing either that well...
Rowe....Sam is one of my favourites but his form so far  has been woeful...wasnt too bad in the 2nd quarter up forward after being unsighted in the 1st but his old enemy in Hawkins really towelled him up down back after he was moved down there to cover for the injured Jamo...

Jones..got towellled by Taylor, played from behind and although he took a couple of marks and kicked two goals I wasnt impressed by his efforts....ok the delivery was poor but so was his work rate and nous IMO.

Jaksch...not as good as last week and made some mistakes...Clark is a big unit and Jaksch needs some more kegs to handle that type of player.
Docherty....very average IMO and hasnt kicked on after initially showing promise.
Touhy....just went, got a bit of a ball but didnt do much with it...

Judd..went ok at times but his opponent Guthrie really hurt us, Judd spent some time forward and won the ball but he isnt a great converter and didnt impact on the game...

Murphy...got better as the game went on and needed the run...won some footy but was under pressure and didnt really hurt the cats...

Byrne...liked his game....neat player with potential.

Wood...probably won the hitouts but it was a nil all draw with Simpson who didnt do much...Blicavs is more the old follower style who gets around the ground and gets the footy rather than worrying too much about hitouts...was useless in the ruck but a nuisance around the ground and got involved some of Geelongs forward thrusts.

Dick....didnt get much off it and will be playing for the NB's most of the season...

Tutt...came on very late so not really any data to judge him on...

Smith...attacked the footy well but turns it over by foot and his kicking isnt flash..

Everitt......did some ok stuff but wasnt a factor this week...just went...

Carrazzo...like Cripps won the footy well  and was one of our best, in fair form and will play rnd 1

Daisy..like Murphy needs the work, more composed than some of his teammates but needs to do more to earn that big dough he is being paid...

I know we had a few out but the same players made the same mistakes as in the past and the better teams like Geelong really punish you on the turnover...
Forward line with three big talls will fail in most games vs the better teams ...

Reply #62
i was there today.

the thing that struck me was the new look of the team.

there is some remnants of the old 10 years which are just not gunna take us to a premiership...Jamison is one big stand out for me...

i hope we get new players next year that pressure blokes like jamison and carrozzo so they cant assume to be walk up starts in the 22...and in fact dont get to the best 22.

few concentration lapses..learn to work together...

the big thing for me is there is a bit of heart in the young players...

Reply #63
Smith...attacked the footy well but turns it over by foot and his kicking isnt flash..

Surprised by your assessment on Clem EB. I though he was much better with his disposal this week, especially when the heat was on him. Still has some work to do but I expect he's still a chance for round 1.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #64

Surprised by your assessment on Clem EB. I though he was much better with his disposal this week, especially when the heat was on him. Still has some work to do but I expect he's still a chance for round 1.

JK..There was one kick that stuck in my mind where he turned it over with a wild kick so I probably went hard on him because it was a shocker...I like him  though and think he will be a player but I think when you play such a polished team like Geelong you cant afford easy turnovers.
Saying all that though its very hard to hit targets down field when we have so many players pushed back into defense and there are not enough options for players like Smith when we get the rebound play and have none to kick to...

Smith needs an attacking game plan to get the best out of him....

Reply #65

JK..There was one kick that stuck in my mind where he turned it over with a wild kick so I probably went hard on him because it was a shocker...I like him  though and think he will be a player but I think when you play such a polished team like Geelong you cant afford easy turnovers.
Saying all that though its very hard to hit targets down field when we have so many players pushed back into defense and there are not enough options for players like Smith when we get the rebound play and have none to kick to...

Smith needs an attacking game plan to get the best out of him....

That's true. It was interesting to watch MM's post match presser where he said he was extremely happy when he saw the draw for the NAB challenge. West Coast in WA, Collingwood and Geelong was like a classroom for younger blokes like Cripps and we can throw Clem into that mix.

IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #66
I haven't seen the game - or any of the NAB Cup - but I'm pleased with the reports on Cripps' progress.  He may be a tad slow like old mate Brock but Cripps' height adds another dimension (although McLean did take quite a few marks inside 50 for a little bloke).

Having a midfielder who can win his own footy and go forward and be a marking target is something we have lacked.  Yes, Bell and Judd do it occasionally but, from what I hear, Cripps has the potential to be a consisent goal scorer.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #67
There is a reason Smith dropped to 66.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #68
@EB1

Thanks for your analysis EB. I haven't seen the game myself yet. A few positives e.g. Cripps, but overall we still look like we may well struggle to make the eight, but very early days. I guess the Tigers game will be the real thing so I'm hoping we can get over some of our old problems then, but it may take us few games before the newbies really settle in alongside the older hands.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #69
I haven't seen the game - or any of the NAB Cup - but I'm pleased with the reports on Cripps' progress.  He may be a tad slow like old mate Brock but Cripps' height adds another dimension (although McLean did take quite a few marks inside 50 for a little bloke).

Having a midfielder who can win his own footy and go forward and be a marking target is something we have lacked.  Yes, Bell and Judd do it occasionally but, from what I hear, Cripps has the potential to be a consisent goal scorer.

http://audioboom.com/boos/3010912-cripps-i-felt-comfortable-out-there

I do wonder what happens if he tanks up and becomes a monster.

Remember Fraser Gehrig went from a utility/wing to a 109kg monster G-Train.

IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #70
Not sure if Geelong has much more to offer. About full strength, good players played well yet only won by four goals. Cripps looks very good, White shut down Motlop, Byrne shows potential, I was happy with Jaksh, Bell & Judd. Definitely top heavy early in the game, I am not having sure Watson, Henderson, Rowe & Jones in the forward line is the way to go. Though all four contributed at various times. We will miss not having players like Betts and Gartlett to harass the opposition defence this year and this appears to me to be the biggest possible weakness we will have this year. It was good to have a ruckman who wanted to compete and we will be better with Gibbs, Simpson, Yarran and Casboult and probably Tutt. Bring on season 2015!

Reply #71
thanks
Elwood
appreciated

Reply #73
There is a reason Smith dropped to 66.

I guess Cockatoo at around pick 10 vs Smith pick 66 is where you see some difference...the former is probably the replacement for Varcoe
and has electric pace and is a well balanced player with neat skills....Smith has more vigour and a love for contested footy but the new Geelong player
is dangerous every time he gets it unlike Smith who wins it well but has less idea what he is doing with it.

You look at Bell vs Guthrie and its the same deal...the Cat player isnt as rugged but is a more polished player with the footy and has more nous....

Reply #74

DJ ..Like all the good inside players Cripps gets rid of the footy quickly and goes with the first open target he sees...he always seems to get the ball away cleanly by hand and find his man.
Agree I think he can be a good goal scorer with his extra size and create matchup issues...he is A grade in the making.
When Bell kicks a goal or hits a target its usually an accident but we all like the contest he creates.....Juddy didnt kick well today and at times struggled to make the distance....still wins the footy as well as anyone on our list but needs some runners to dish off too once he gets in the clear. If he plays forward he needs to be close to goal....