Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong (Read 53337 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge Rd #3: Carlton vs. Geelong

Reply #90
Have watched all NAB challenge games and from what I have seen the following wont make our best 22.

Watson-- Gone at seasons end.

Tutt--  Ordinary player.  Don't know why we bothered.

Jones- MMM.  Top up player at most.  Will probably get a gig Rd1 but can easily see him playing a lot of footy for NB

Boekhurst- Am geting the feeling that this won't work out well.  Could we have blown yet another Rd1 pick??  

[flash=300,200]http://www.youtube.com/v/TfE93xON8jk[/flash]

Reply #91
The Robbo comparrison is a good one for Bell... Robbo was at his best when he played within his limitations. Handball a little more and kick a little less. Bell doesn't have to burst through a pack and kick it 60 metres every time he gets it.

I thought Jones looked good!  Kicked a couple, took a couple of marks and missed one from 10m out.

Cripps is taking in some solid form into the season, he is going to be playing alongside Judd/Carrazzo/Murphy/Gibbs, this year is his chance to establish himself.

I'm probably more optimistic about the season now than i was a few weeks ago.

Reply #92
Have watched all NAB challenge games and from what I have seen the following wont make our best 22.

Watson-- Gone at seasons end.

Tutt--  Ordinary player.  Don't know why we bothered.

Jones- MMM.  Top up player at most.  Will probably get a gig Rd1 but can easily see him playing a lot of footy for NB

Boekhurst- Am geting the feeling that this won't work out well.  Could we have blown yet another Rd1 pick??  

What a sad sack.

Most of us saw more than that.

Reply #93
What a sad sack.

More positives or negatives?
The Force Awakens!

Reply #95
What a sad sack.

More positives or negatives?

Sorry....yes, positives.

Very good, it's a glass half argument.

But I do say this, if someone watches a full game of footy and cannot find any positives then they are probably watching the wrong sport!

@age - I'd say for example, Hawkins got the better of his opponents but not any more than he does against every other club so there is a positive. If he stays fit he is a monster, and as in the Lockett fashion if you keep him to less than 5 you are probably ahead of the curve! :D
The Force Awakens!

Reply #96
Forwardline looks about as threatening as a My Little Pony collection in comparison to Geelongs, but apart from that we should be ok.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #97
Cripps was good and is a lock in for round 1 but needs to do more with the ball by foot, however the rest of his game is very good and showed the way today and has some leadership prospects IMO....his big frame helped him vs the Geelong bigger bodies and I thought Bell was handy as well getting the footy and getting his big body into contests....still burns the ball does Bell but at least he gave some effort when we were down..
Contrast was Boekhorst who started well enough but once Geelong got rolling he wasnt sighted and his light frame meant he was out of the picture with the contested stuff and was just pushed off the ball.

Our forward line other than Menzel was next to useless although to be fair the delivery wasnt anything like what Hawkins and Clark got....Mnezel is a class player and we need to pray he doesnt get injured...

Watson doesnt move around enough and is a one trick pony with his big kicking.....isnt the answer up forward IMO.
Henderson...not really anywhere near his best and while being able to play both ends isnt playing either that well...
Rowe....Sam is one of my favourites but his form so far  has been woeful...wasnt too bad in the 2nd quarter up forward after being unsighted in the 1st but his old enemy in Hawkins really towelled him up down back after he was moved down there to cover for the injured Jamo...

Jones..got towellled by Taylor, played from behind and although he took a couple of marks and kicked two goals I wasnt impressed by his efforts....ok the delivery was poor but so was his work rate and nous IMO.

Jaksch...not as good as last week and made some mistakes...Clark is a big unit and Jaksch needs some more kegs to handle that type of player.
Docherty....very average IMO and hasnt kicked on after initially showing promise.
Touhy....just went, got a bit of a ball but didnt do much with it...

Judd..went ok at times but his opponent Guthrie really hurt us, Judd spent some time forward and won the ball but he isnt a great converter and didnt impact on the game...

Murphy...got better as the game went on and needed the run...won some footy but was under pressure and didnt really hurt the cats...

Byrne...liked his game....neat player with potential.

Wood...probably won the hitouts but it was a nil all draw with Simpson who didnt do much...Blicavs is more the old follower style who gets around the ground and gets the footy rather than worrying too much about hitouts...was useless in the ruck but a nuisance around the ground and got involved some of Geelongs forward thrusts.

Dick....didnt get much off it and will be playing for the NB's most of the season...

Tutt...came on very late so not really any data to judge him on...

Smith...attacked the footy well but turns it over by foot and his kicking isnt flash..

Everitt......did some ok stuff but wasnt a factor this week...just went...

Carrazzo...like Cripps won the footy well  and was one of our best, in fair form and will play rnd 1

Daisy..like Murphy needs the work, more composed than some of his teammates but needs to do more to earn that big dough he is being paid...

I know we had a few out but the same players made the same mistakes as in the past and the better teams like Geelong really punish you on the turnover...
Forward line with three big talls will fail in most games vs the better teams ...

Think Jones will play round 1 too ahead of Watson. Everyone will get towelled up by Taylor but if he kicked that goal from 10m (how do you miss that) he still kicks 3 on him. Think he's still getting there but he still takes a mark and kicks a couple of goals. Will go better as a 3rd tall rather than the no.1 he was at the Bulldogs. With Casboult in there he probably doesn't get Taylor.

Wood I like. Takes marks, gets taps, kicks goals and is always involved. Have no trouble having him replacing Kreuzer for as long as is needed.

Jaksch was ok on Clark. Experience would've helped. Clark got 3 but that last free kick was a shocker given by a non-controlling field umpire right in front of me. That kick out in the first qtr though was a shocker.

Watson couldn't get into it for 2 1/2 qtrs then did well late. Prefer Jones though still for round 1.

Docherty will be ok.

Rowe had a few kicked on him later by Hawkins but did some good work on the ball and occasionally around the ground. going to be very handy this year. With a 3rd tall in defence could quite easily take our 2nd ruck role at times if Casboult loses form.

Henderson isn't in great form, no better than ok. All our talls, including Rowe did get on the scoreboard at least even if they were a little down overall. Jones and Watson missed a few too. I felt for the first qtr and half the 2nd we showed absolutely no faith in going long towards our forwards. caused us to be very haphazard in our direction. Hence the forwards looked lost. Once we started kicked to them we were so much better, hence the 6 goal margin suddenly became it. By half time they had all hit the scoreboard.

Smith looks good but I did see that turnover running out of defence. If it was a real game I would've been pissed but a practice game it didn't give a crap. Generally wasn't too ball with the ball though. and certainly provides run.

Cripps looks a gun. Great extractor in the midfield and as a big, strong lad can take a strong pack mark and kick a goal up forward. Reckon he could grow into a key forward one day, at least a terrific 3rd tall.

Menzel was terrific.

Reckon there's signs. Good enough to make the bottom end of the 8.

Reply #98
Wasn't disheartened by what I saw.

The comparison between the forward lines was orange and lemons. Hawkins is the best power forward in the game and Clarke was handy there too, but we didn't drop anyone back, which we would of in a normal game. Our forwards are still finding their feet and had Geelong defenders dropping back all game long, that's what Geelong does. It's interesting, there was a bought in this season to prevent blocking in a marking contest which I reckon I saw Geelong defenders do every second or third time and no penalty, and we got pinged for it twice.

Selwood might be a gun player, but I think he's a git of a bloke. Sook, sniper and ducker. I loved how one of our players got him high (Juddy?) and thought oh well let's make it a good one and poor little hard done by Selwood sooked it up.

Jaksch is only going to get better with playing time, he has very good closing speed, and shows promise by foot, couple of clangers though. Doesn't seem rushed out there either.

Cripps was everywhere, I was surprised by his lack of clearances stats though he would of been in the teens. Tough and strong, great vision and great hands, shanked a kick for goal but a great game.

Jones looked promising against an elite backline, has a way to go but might do well.

I wish Watson would be more consistent, his last quarter he looked lively but before that no much. He needs to be played higher up the field, starting him in the goals square is not his bag.

Boekhurst still looks like a deer in headlights, did some nice runs early in the game, but no where near as fast as I thought he was.

Smith very promising, has grunt and attitude. Polish up his skills and we have a winner.

I shuddered a bit when I saw Byrne out there again this  week, but was made to review my opinion of him, ran to good spots kicked well and defended well.

Bell I though he was better this week. Still tries to take opponents on and gets caught out, but his play around 50 was much better, twice he lowered his eyes and kicked a weighted kick to the forwards, when last season he would of looked for the 55m goal. Is improving his ground ball pick ups and team play, laying several blocks rather than running next to them expecting a handball.

Murphy timid and rusty. Thomas frustrated and rusty.

Henderson should be our CHB, end of story. He drops too many marks when he has position up forward and gets spoiled too easily on the lead. I think EB said he was almost AA CHB, I say keep him there get AA status, cause he won't get near AA CHF. When Lachie played that season at CHB and he had the ball I felt confident we were keeping it with the next kick and the dummy kicks and step arounds were almost poetry.

Forward line needs a small or two, it was only a couple of seasons ago where it was Betts, Garlett, Yarran and Armfield all zipping around the forward 50, now it's Menzel who is more of a medium marking and roving forward than a crumber.

I asked my Geelong workmate if he was happy with the game, he said they just cruised. I told him to watch the game again as they were still going hard with 5 mins to play, then pointed out a few things and said considering Geelong had a full strength side and we were missing some he should be concerned by a 3 goals win when it should have been closer to 8. He said we weren't missing that many so I reeled off, Gibbs, Yarran, Walker, Simpson, Casboult, Kreuzer/Warnock, he became quite after that.

Not a bad position to be in with round 1 on the way, underdogs but against Richmond who knows. We definitely have a bit more depth coming through. Might not be there yet but it's coming.

Reply #99
Selwood might be a gun player, but I think he's a git of a bloke. Sook, sniper and ducker. I loved how one of our players got him high (Juddy?) and thought oh well let's make it a good one and poor little hard done by Selwood sooked it up.

Opposition players apparently call Selwood "Yertle the Turtle" for the way he pulls his head in!

Boekhurst still looks like a deer in headlights, did some nice runs early in the game, but no where near as fast as I thought he was.

Fev talked about how hard it is for new players, even for the likes of Jones and Tutt, when they get to play in front of their first big 80K crowd. Hearing calls, spotting targets clearly and watching the pill in flight with all the colors, sound and movement of the stands in the background. He reckons it takes quite a few games before you get used to it!

I asked my Geelong workmate if he was happy with the game, he said they just cruised. I told him to watch the game again as they were still going hard with 5 mins to play, then pointed out a few things and said considering Geelong had a full strength side and we were missing some he should be concerned by a 3 goals win when it should have been closer to 8. He said we weren't missing that many so I reeled off, Gibbs, Yarran, Walker, Simpson, Casboult, Kreuzer/Warnock, he became quite after that.

That's how I saw it, and we sub'd Judd and Jammo early and they brought Bartell and Murdoch on!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #100

I've heard opposition players call Selwood "Yertle the Turtle" for the way he pulls his head in!

Heard Fev talking about how hard it is for new players, even for the likes of Jones and Tutt, when they get to play in front of their first big 80K crowd. Hearing calls, spotting targets clearly and watching the pill in flight with all the colors, sound and movement of the stands in the background. He reckons it takes quite a few games before you get used to it!

At my sons kindergarten they have "mertle the turtle"

went missing a couple of weeks back and has recently resurfaced... wonder if it's the same one?

anyway, do they really call him that?

Reply #101
At my sons kindergarten they have "mertle the turtle"

went missing a couple of weeks back and has recently resurfaced... wonder if it's the same one?

anyway, do they really call him that?

Apparently, his own team-mates were ribbing him about it at last seasons Mad Monday!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #102
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #103
Bell was carltons best player.....a seriously developing player

He's been developing for a while now. When is he going to develop into a player that doesn't get caught or kick scrubbers?

Just as a comparison
Cripps - 32 touches, 14 contested, 1 clanger,  6 marks (1 contested), 5 clearances, 4 tackles, 1 goal 1 behind. 
Bell     - 22 touches, 10 contested, 4 clangers, 3 marks (0 contested), 3 clearances, 2 tackles, 1 goal

Cripps just turned 20.
Bell is almost 24.

Cripps is doing what Bell should be doing.
Bell is doing what we'd be happy with Cripps doing.

Reply #104
@Raydan

You bring up an interesting point. Last year, we had absolutely zero idea when a player was pushed back. Our only option was to man him up. Any other tactic resulted in is capitulating.

It doesn't sound like we've revealed anything in the preseason around this but I hope Mick has some ideas. We'll be lucky to finish out of the bottom 6 without a second option.