Skip to main content
Topic: Round #4 Carlton vs St. Kilda in NZ: Pre Game prognostications (Read 66379 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round #4 Carlton vs St. Kilda in NZ: Pre Game prognostications

Reply #45
Not ready/not proven, given 1 game/failure at Dogs, defensive forward/slow, injured and/or out of form.

Next.

This is what happens when you turn over the list.
You get kids who are not quite ready yet and blokes who are but are perhaps not up to it.
Menzel is injured.

You could also throw Daisy into that list, but yes he is injured too.

People don't want a quick fix....but they do.

Reply #46
You get kids who are not quite ready yet and blokes who are but are perhaps not up to it.
Menzel is injured.

I agree with your sentiment Krud, but to me Buckley is a natural forward. Ellards not up to the role, Tutts a list clogger, and Menzel is prob the most overrated player on the list for what he's produced. My point is let Buckley play forward,and for MM to stop with obsession with turning half our list into defenders.
Eat more chooks

Reply #47
Menzel is injured.

Was making the case that Buckley could probably play there.

Should have played before Smith.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #48
They want Buckley to tag as well;

Quote from: Webster:
Bucks' played down back. What we’ve been working on with Dylan is his defensive side. We know that he can provide us good run and carry off half-back, and he got one inside-50 from his 11 disposals. We’ve got to continue to keep working on his defensive side and he showed good signs in that area today.

They have already turned Yarran into a tagger, a bloke who could easily be as damaging as Betts, Rioli, Ablett, Judd, etc., etc.. They have standardised him into a good ordinary player!

It's fecking depressing, our MC would have Phar Lap training as a trotter just in case! ::)
The Force Awakens!

Reply #49
@the above 2 comments re Buckley.

I've never seen him as a natural forward personally. I'm sure he could play there if given a shot, but he isn't the most polished player by foot. Do we need another forward who can't kick straight?

Alternatively, we need to find a couple of decent back pocket players as it is. Tuohy is the best we've got and many don't rate him. After him you start robbing peter to pay paul. Walker, Simpson, Carrazzo have all played there, but are better suited elsewhere. In fact Carrazzo started his career in a back pocket and worked his way into the midfield.

Perhaps what we need is players like Buckley playing their role for the team (in this case a small defender) and then moving onto greener pastures later.

Reply #50

They have already turned Yarran into a tagger, a bloke who could easily be as damaging as Betts, Rioli, Ablett, Judd, etc., etc.. They have standardised him into a good ordinary player!

It's fecking depressing, our MC would have Phar Lap training as a trotter just in case! ::)

I have no problem with them saying he needs to work on his defensive side.

But what side exactly has Clem Smith got squared away at the moment.

I'll give MM the benefit of the doubt (to a point) and suggest he wants Buckley playing full games in the magoos rather than 1/4 or so in the top side.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #51

Shock horror, they want a playing playing in defense to defend!  :P

If only we could get our players to actually run both ways we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in.

You are right that you need to kick goals to win games.
you do realise that if the opposition don't kick any goals, you can't lose.

Reply #52

We've discussed the futility of MMs attempt to stop opponents scoring in other threads, his game plan in known so well we can see that he is obsessed with negativity.

The opposition know that if they get a break on Carlton MMs game plan turns into a puddle, and Carlton then have little chance of catching them. MM doesn't train teams to score heavily, he doesn't like the risk it brings, he has said as much publicly on many occasions!

But in my opinion he has safe bet himself into AFL oblivion! I don't know what others think, I don't speak for them! But I think MM was so obsessed with defense he pulled apart the good aspects of our list to improve just one facet!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #53
We've discussed the futility of MMs attempt to stop opponents scoring in other threads, his game plan in known so well we can see that he is obsessed with negativity.

So if its known so well, why don't you tell me what it is. Summarise it for me.

After you've done that, realise that what you just told me is last years game plan. It's changed in the off-season in case you haven't caught up with things. ;)

Reply #54
Shock horror, they want a playing playing in defense to defend!  :P

If only we could get our players to actually run both ways we wouldn't be in the predicament we are in.

You are right that you need to kick goals to win games.

Malcolm Blight won Back to Back flags with the theory that you just had to kick more goals than them  :o
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #55
Malcolm Blight won Back to Back flags with the theory that you just had to kick more goals than them  :o

...and how many GF's did he lose with the best player to ever play the game kicking record amounts of goals at the time?

Who won the 1995 GF? Was it the flashy forward work of Ablett and co, or was it the dour defensiveness of Silvagni and co.
(although that was Ayres, the same logic applies)

Reply #56
So if its known so well, why don't you tell me what it is. Summarise it for me.

In 2014 the game plan was "Stop Em", in 2015 it become "Stop Em All"! :D

You're absolutely right, it's changed by nearly 50%!

When our club gets serious, I'll get serious! :o
The Force Awakens!

Reply #57
Wow didn't think about that. We need to win this or risk being labeled the basketcase of the AFL.

we already are the basket case of the AFL

Reply #58
In 2014 the game plan was "Stop Em", in 2015 it become "Stop Em All"! :D

You're absolutely right, it's changed by nearly 50%!

When our club gets serious, I'll get serious! :o

...and that ladies and gentleman is why you don't listen to the public when they criticise the coaches game plan.

Reply #59
Nope, he turned over every single possession he had in the first half, not that he had many.
He's a liability.

Half our side is a liability ATM.