Skip to main content
Topic: Round #4 Carlton vs St. Kilda in NZ: Pre Game prognostications (Read 65930 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round #4 Carlton vs St. Kilda in NZ: Pre Game prognostications

Reply #60
...and how many GF's did he lose with the best player to ever play the game kicking record amounts of goals at the time?

Who won the 1995 GF? Was it the flashy forward work of Ablett and co, or was it the dour defensiveness of Silvagni and co.
(although that was Ayres, the same logic applies)

BOG on the 1995 GF was Williams, I never saw him tagging anybody.

Our next best players were Koutafides, Kernahan and Bradley, no taggers there!

I think the only defender in our top 10 on the day was Christou attacking of the HBF, hardly a dour defender!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
BOG on the 1995 GF was Williams, I never saw him tagging anybody.

Our next best players were Koutafides, Kernahan and Bradley, no taggers there!

I think the only defender in our top 10 on the day was Christou attacking of the HBF, hardly a dour defender!

I simply cannot take you seriously if you don't rate Silvagni's game.

In the 21 games leading up to that 1995 Grand Final, Ablett kicking 122 goals 82 behinds.
He kicked 4 goals or more in 20 of those 21 games. The exception was against Sydney in R2 where he kicked 3.3.
He had on average 9.7 shots on goal over that same period.
The last time he played us, he kicked 4.5.

In the Grand Final - he kicked 0.3. Silvagni was his opponent the entire game.
IMO he was 2nd BOG behind Diesel.

Reply #62
Malcolm Blight won Back to Back flags with the theory that you just had to kick more goals than them  :o

Well therein lies one of our major problems - our goalkicking accuracy. We generate the inside 50s alright but either turn over the ball or miss the shot on goal all too often. The score last Sat was 11.18 to 16.9 and at one stage we had half the number of goals and twice the number of behinds than the Bummers. Says it all.

I don't have the stats for our other major problem area, but doing what Ross Lyon talks about and watching the game, when we are defending and our set defensive structures are actually  in place, we manage reasonably. The real problems come from when we try to go forward and too often turn the ball over in our forward part of the ground - we then can't respond to opposition quick counter attacks and our defence gets caught out, often badly. Best way to deal with that I guess is not to turn the ball over in the first place.

If we fixed up those two areas alone I reckon a lot of our other problems might not seem so bad.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #63

In the 21 games leading up to that 1995 Grand Final, Ablett kicking 122 goals 82 behinds.
He kicked 4 goals or more in 20 of those 21 games. The exception was against Sydney in R2 where he kicked 3.3.

Ablett would have had to play in defense to get more opportunities, the Mids and Forwards put Geelong to the sword! ;)

Silvagni had 1 effective spoil. But I'll let you pump up his tyres and ignore the other Mids and Forwards, it's your version of history!

FWIW, I had Spalding as our second best on the day and by some margin, but he was light years behind Williams for BOG!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #64
Gibbs Cleared to play.

he has done some nice run with roles before :-P

"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #66

Further to that, remembering back, he had a huge finals series, where he kept Merrett under wraps, gave Carey a bath and then Ablett in the GF.

I still feel his retirement, more than others, left the biggest hole that we haven't filled adequately since.

I found my thrills, on Windy Pills

Reply #67
That can't be, he hit an Essendon player! :o

It's Goddard so it don't count.  ;) He cries even when he plays his old mob, f#$king sook.
IN WADA WE TRUST

Reply #68
Further to that, remembering back, he had a huge finals series, where he kept Merrett under wraps, gave Carey a bath and then Ablett in the GF.

I still feel his retirement, more than others, left the biggest hole that we haven't filled adequately since.

Yes I agree. When he went it was the loss of a true inspiration and a massive body blow for the club. I remember how gutted I was to realise we would no longer see him playing in the navy blue.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #69
Ablett would have had to play in defense to get more opportunities, the Mids and Forwards put Geelong to the sword! ;)

Silvagni had 1 effective spoil. But I'll let you pump up his tyres and ignore the other Mids and Forwards, it's your version of history!

FWIW, I had Spalding as our second best on the day and by some margin, but he was light years behind Williams for BOG!

Ablett actually came up to play on the wing for some stretches of the game to get a kick....yet Silvagni stopped him there too.

As i said before, if you can't see it, i can't take you seriously.

I know if i was choosing one player from that side to plug into our team now, Walker would be handing over his guernsey ASAP.

Reply #70
Yes I agree. When he went it was the loss of a true inspiration and a massive body blow for the club. I remember how gutted I was to realise we would no longer see him playing in the navy blue.

I'm afraid the SOS centric history of the 1995 GF really discredits some great players on the day;

Christou was magnificent off the HBF.
Spalding perhaps played his best game for the club.
Kouta showed early signs of becoming Kouta!
Bradley showed why being hard and tough at football can also mean gut running an opponent into the ground!
etc., etc..
The Force Awakens!

Reply #71
Ablett actually came up to play on the wing for some stretches of the game to get a kick....yet Silvagni stopped him there too.

Because the ball wasn't entering their F50, and you should recall SOS and Christou double teaming him on the flanks as well no doubt!

We flogged them, he had little opportunity and was beaten when he did!

We had runners everywhere and attacked relentlessly, we locked the ball inside our F50 with blokes like Spalding laying massive tackles and Williams playing forward for extended periods!

Our runners should have offered SOS an overcoat to keep warm!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #72
Then you should recall SOS and Christou double teaming him!

So what you are saying is team defense as well as individual defense helped us win the game.

Glad we agree on how important it is to defend then. ;)

Reply #73
So what you are saying is team defense as well as individual defense helped us win the game.

Glad we agree on how important it is to defend then. ;)

Yes exactly, if Christou had been tagging he would never have been there to help SOS defend!

PS; Don't confuse defense with tagging! ;)

We are debating having too many taggers, every team has the same number of defenders!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #74
We are debating having too many taggers, every team has the same number of defenders!

Only our team has taggers instead of defenders though...apparantly.

...and our tagger get more of the ball than most of our midfielders.
....and they kick goals as well.
....and are not actually taggers at all!