Skip to main content
Topic: Rnd 6 Carlton v Brisbane-post mortem (Read 48830 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rnd 6 Carlton v Brisbane-post mortem

Reply #75
Is John Barker our "forwards" coach?
What does he actually do, then?

Reply #76
Wow, what can I say about this game.

Walker needs to be traded and won't go for much. He can't defend today at all.
Touhy was close to the standard of Walker today.
Jaksch didn't do well and has disposal issues.
Rowe his good buddy in defence was just as poor with disposal.
Levi gave us a chance and did convert.
Jones, get this piece of sh1t as far away from the club as you can. He is a useless footy player.
Buckley needs more size and strength. Doesn't give up but not strong enough.
Murphy and Gibbs need to have more impact. More score on the board from them. Stats are not enough.
Judd has had his best years go by. While one of our best, he needs to retire.
Thomas has been the biggest waste of money for this club. While he still has time, I won't hold my breath.
Cripps is a player we need to be patient with. He will be genuine and we can't afford to lose him.
Boekhorst shows signs and he needs to back his ability.
Armfield tries hard and wasn't terrible today.
Curnow worked fairly well, but isn't complete elite and never will be.
Bell was a solid performer today. He is a keeper. I like this kid.
Docherty is by far the best player we have by a country mile.

We just played the worst side in the league. Were up in front for most of the game and found a way to lose. Skills by both side was as poor as I have seen for a few seasons. If we lost to Brisbane who had to travel, then how bad is our side ? We now need to play GWS, Geelong, Sydney and Adelaide before we get a break and rest. We look certain to be 1-9. Really ?? 1-9. We couldn't tank better if we tried. I thought I had shame for the club for the loss against the Pies. Then I hear the boys had early morning sessions during the week to wake up this match and show us what they have. They showed very little to nothing. Against a side that has the worst forward structure in the league. Along with the weakest defence going around. There isn't another side we could possibly beat. Not with the sh1t that is running around in Navy at the moment. We have one genuine player. One. No more. Well I should add Bell to make that 2. What a day I decided to give up glue sniffing ?? ::)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #77
I'm genuinely surprised at how quickly the game has gone past Gibbs, Walker, and Murphy.

Sometime in the last 10 years 'outside' players became extinct.  Nowadays, there is no such thing as an outside player.  The pressure is too relentless and all pervasive.

Bell and Cripps were shining lights today. Mind you, it's mid-winter northern hemisphere dark at the moment at CFC.  The game has passed by our highest paid players, but the real worry is that we've gone from Australia's most successful sporting team to a club on the brink in only 15 years.

I used to laugh at posts predicting the demise of Carlton. Now I'm not so sure.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #78
Is John Barker our "forwards" coach?
What does he actually do, then?

No, he is the backline coach.  Green is our forwards coach  ::)
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #79
Watching the Blues is excruciating.

Kick short.
Mark.
Stop, go back.....Hesitate.....Umpire; "(Play on!)"..
Hurried short kick to a contest....turnover!

There is no MOMENTUM. No URGENCY. No running forward, hunting in packs. And no movement upfield facing the player with the ball. There should be leads EVERYWHERE...movement, movement, movement, OPTIONS EVERYWHERE, not NOWHERE

1AW, you were absolutely shocking today. Didn't give any of your intended targets a chance with any of your disposals.

Reply #80
Grim stuff from a team that cant get much lower.

Casboult played a very good game, had more presence around the ground and finishing with four goals is a very good return. Well done. Other good efforts were by Bell, who is really improving as a player, despite disposal lapses here and there. Docherty put in a good effort. Cripps did ok. Boekhorst ran to the right places and gave himself opportunities, hopefully he keeps backing himself. And they are about it really, as i am struggling to find any other winners.

Our field kicking continues to be simply dreadful and not at an acceptable standard for league football. Despite winning clearences well in the first half, we turned the ball over with devestating regularity. Biggest issue for mine is the poor midfield work that leads to a clearence being aimlessly booted forward, high and long and easily cut off. Terrible football.

Walker was horrific and not sure why he is worth playing really as his mistakes and ease that we went to ground cost goals. Buckly is a real worry.  Still undersized and not as fast as he needs to be be to make up for his slight build. 3 years on the list suggests he won't be around for much longer. Everitt is one of those unfortunate cases of a tall player that plays small and has little influence. Gibbs just wants out, and exemplified by his over the head handpass that went straight to an opponent.  Let him seek a trade as his casual attitude makes Ryan Houlihan look like a contested ball maniac.

Just a mess. Consistently congested forward line, poor kicking forward and a lack of run. When Bell won the footy (second quarter i think) at half back and ran forward and had no one to kick to i knew we were going to lose. Play had been around half back, not at all deep and yet we had no options. Lazy and dispirited.

Only round 6 and it has been a long season. We are looking at the longest season since...last season...

Reply #81
I think this will be my last comment on this very disappointing game.

Tom Bell played another good game and continues to show how far he has come as a player.  One of the plays he was involved in today really epitomised how hard we have made what should be a relatively simple game.  Bell took on two opponents and won the ball at halfback.  He was on the move and started to head down the ground when he realised that there weren't any Carlton players in front of him.  What should have been several bounces and/or a chain of possessions leading to an inspirational goal fizzled out when Bell had to pull up and turn back to kick the ball back towards the Brisbane goal.

I'd love to see our players given the freedom to take the game on.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #82
Only round 6 and it has been a long season.

Nice way to put it. It's been excruciating. (Thought Hoops became a reasonable ball winner in close towards the end :P)

Reply #83
I'd love to see our players given the freedom to take the game on.

That's the biggest problem. Brisbane are shizen but when they have the chance, which isn;t often, they play their game. You can see what they are trying to do, they just don't have the ability. We control the ball, screw me if I can pick what's happening - grind it forward, hope a goal eventuates from it.

Reply #84
Not excusing the players but the game plan clearly sucks - or is non existent - and for that the blame must lie at the feet of Mick.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #85
DJC that play was when Bell was running full steam across the wing, and he had to completely stop. Not one Carlton player was running forward. 2 kicks later the ball was landing in the goal square 80m behind where he had the ball. What the fark is that ? Who instructs this style of play ? If its Mick, he has to be shown the door ASAP.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #86
Cas, Bell and Dochery the standouts.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #87
Yeah - that Buckley, he's awesome, his dash out of defence & the way he uses the footy......oh wait

......and Jaksch - wow, what's not to like about Jaksch, the way he imposes himself and his kicking......oh wait

......and Whiley, man - what an awesome tagger he is and that pace.......oh wait

......and Boekhorst - great to see him NOT play like Kane Lucas and then kick that clutch goal in the last......oh wait

I'll give you Clem Smith, who finally showed a bit today (despite 2 horrific kicking clangers) & can't comment on Graham due to his usual lack of game-time, but the rest of them you must surely be taking the p!ss....surely.

But Brettie, we have to put some faith in these young guys because they are the next generation. Players like Armfield, Carrazzo, Warnock & co are going to be put out to pasture.
"The Other Teams Can Rot In Hell"

Reply #88
Proving you don't know much

Without taking into account current form but on this list is:

Walker
Menzel
Murphy
Gibbs
Judd
Simpson
Kreuzer
Cripps
Yarran
Docherty
Jaksch
Henderson
Bell
Everitt
Curnow
Byrne
Thomas
Jamison
Casboult
Touhy

Not a Hawthorn list but certainly something a half decent coach can easily work with. Certainly not a bottom of the ladder list. If you say that lacks ability then I'll just point and laugh. We are so badly coached right now that we have the life sucked right out of us. Game plan and structure is awful.

Ability and potential are a load of crap.
How many coaches does it take for these guys to grow a pair and play anywhere near their ability?
Trade the soft ****s, sack MM and start again.
At least Cripps and bell have a go

Reply #89
Ability and potential are a load of crap.
How many coaches does it take for these guys to grow a pair and play anywhere near their ability?
Trade the soft ****s, sack MM and start again.
At least Cripps and bell have a go

They went alright with one coach.