Skip to main content
Topic: VFL Round #7: Northern Blues vs. Box Hill Hawks  (Read 39907 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: VFL Round #7: Northern Blues vs. Box Hill Hawks

Reply #15
Jones chases and occasionally tackles someone - the witches hat (i.e. Watson) doesn't.

Agree. Watson is not good enough. Giving him a go again is not going to change that, nor hoping that his flukey 4 goals last year is going to become the norm.

Reply #16
Carrots, go down to Cramer Street and watch Watson... he just doesn't deserve a run at senior level going by what he is showing at the moment.  We'd be better off giving Fields a run, he has a serious go.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #17
Carrots, go down to Cramer Street and watch Watson... he just doesn't deserve a run at senior level going by what he is showing at the moment.  We'd be better off giving Fields a run, he has a serious go.

Foster is worth a run, as will be Byrne if he gets fit!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #18
@Prof

I know but he has been known to step up when given a crack at senior level. I think if you visit the round 23 aftermatch thread from last year everyone was keen for Watto to have a decent run. Lets give it to him.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #19
Given a decent run based upon what?  Watson needs to kick a bag and demand elevation elevation, otherwise we are just handing out cheap senior games.  The claim that he "steps up at senior level" ... well, I just don't see it.  Last time he played he got 3 possessions and was subbed out.

I understand the point that if a hack like Jones is getting a game, why not Watson... my belief is that both have had plenty of chances and I'd rather give fields or Foster a run. 
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #20
Barker will try Watson again. He must give him a run of 3 games at least. He can sub him out if he doesn't meet the standards required. Jones has been given more than enough chances to do little to nothing. It can't continue unless we put him back to defend where he might actually offer something. He might offer us more depth in defensive 50m. I say this because Rowe struggled to be a genuine forward, yet proves a very capable defender. Many think the same about Henderson.

Fields or Foster is well worth the try. They could only benefit from the run and gaining some experience. Leaving Liam forward is wasting their development. The year is written off already. Playing for picks at the moment. Try something new in areas where we are really struggling. ;)
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #21
We did that a couple of weeks ago and Watson got two possessions for tge game.

It's bare.  That key forward cupboard.   Liam Jones reminds me of brad fisher except fisher was slightly better one trick pony.

Fisher was a very good mark and a fair shot at goal.

Played 99 games. A million light years ahead of Jones on the latter's current form.
Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #22
We have a Fisher version 2. His name is White. Play him forward and let Liam work his @rse off trying to defend and be accountable. Its his last roll of the dice. A forward he simply is not. Thanks Mick.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #23
Foster is worth a run, as will be Byrne if he gets fit!

I'm with you LP...I'd give Foster a run before Watson and drop Jones this week as well.....Byrne and Sheehan when fit  would be automatic ins for me and replace our other Irishman in "Turnover Touhy"....
Tutt out...Walsh or Boakhorst in as well..

Reply #24
@Prof

I know but he has been known to step up when given a crack at senior level. I think if you visit the round 23 aftermatch thread from last year everyone was keen for Watto to have a decent run. Lets give it to him.

We are basing all this on 1 game....basically.

Go back through history and i'll think you'll find a dominant game from many individuals.
Bentick got 34 touches in his 2nd season. It took him 40 more games before he got back to 30 touches.
Doering got 25 touches and a goal in his 10th game, against the 3-peat lions. Got delisted that year.

Go through and look at every hack we've had on our list over the past decade and you'll find at least 1 decent game from them. The problem is there is a large range of crap games that you need to wade through to find it....just like Watson.

Reply #25
From Twitter:

QUARTER TIME:
Box HillHawks 3. 1. (19) lead Northern Blues 2. 2. (14)

Simpkins from the hawks kicked a barrel that skidded through from 90 metres!

Reply #26

Northern Blues QTR stats:

GOALS: Wilkinson, Wilson
DISPOSALS: Walsh 8, Armitage 6, Ellard 6, Boekhorst 6

Reply #27
Blaine Johnson excellent set shot from 50m and we get the lead back after putting his head over the ball and winning the free.

Box Hill Hawks 3. 1. (19) lead Northern Blues 3. 2. (20)

Reply #28
Twitter update:
Hawks take it the length of the ground and Miles snaps truly. Hawks back in front, 10 min into second term. BHH 26, NB 20

Reply #29
Ellard brave and crunched waiting under the ball and wins the free. Goes back and slots it from just on 50m and 45 angle.

Excellent goal in cold, wet and windy conditions.

Box Hill Hawks 5.1.(31), Northern Blues B 4.2 (26)