Skip to main content
Topic: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide Pre Game Palaver (Read 30385 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide Pre Game Palaver

Reply #60
If we rock up late to work the boss doesnt buy you a latte and say well done son does he?

If the boss denigrated you in front of work-mates or the general public you could sue his arse for bullying!

Private is one thing, public is something completely different!

The way the club dealt with this is amateur, unprofessional and unnecessary. It reeks of a club pandering to the media or to strings being pulled by some back room power broker or a playing group clique!

I've had enough of the club acting like this, they can shut the feck up and get on to playing some football or the lot can get their fat arses to an EGM!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #61
I see it as that old military discipline though... Punish the group so that they put the acid on him to lift his game.

Ps
I'm not actually advocating that any of this is factual or desirable, I'm just putting it out there for discussion...
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #62
I agree on the actions the club has taken to drop him. However I really agree with your spin on it in your last post LP. Try to keep it in-house. Make it look like he didn't pull up 100% for the match. Keeps his reputation clean if we consider trading him and keeps his value up. Plenty of players have pulled up short and missed a game. Judd, Murphy, Gibbs etc.

Northern Blue I agree with your last post too. Trying to develop team driven expectations.
This digital world is too much for us insects to understand.

Reply #63
If the boss denigrated you in front of work-mates or the general public you could sue his arse for bullying!

Private is one thing, public is something completely different!

There's no problem with stating facts though is there ?
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #64
Well we don't really know all of the background details of this so it's hard to comment but I have to think that if this is all out in the public arena then it has to be something fairly significant.

I would throw in my 10c worth though - maybe the club has refused to give Yazz any firm undertaking that he won't be traded, as it did with Murphy and Gibbs, and he's not happy about that? The publicity could possibly be a softening up for the fact that he may well be leaving us - just a thought.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #65
There's no problem with stating facts though is there ?

Yes there is, there are times when people need to shut the feck up and let their actions speak louder than their words.

You don't discipline a child by embarrassing them in front of their peers. You don't stand your wife on a street corner with a sign hanging around her neck when she burns the dinner.

We have publicly denigrated this bloke twice, the first time for simply taking a stand against a known sniper!

All this and the earlier events prove is that we have a bunch of complete nuffas running our club, imbeciles!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #66
Well we don't really know all of the background details of this so it's hard to comment but I have to think that if this is all out in the public arena then it has to be something fairly significant.

I would throw in my 10c worth though - maybe the club has refused to give Yazz any firm undertaking that he won't be traded, as it did with Murphy and Gibbs, and he's not happy about that? The publicity could possibly be a softening up for the fact that he may well be leaving us - just a thought.

We are repeating the same mistakes we have made over and over again, the softness of our clubs management is extraordinary. They pump this up like they make the tough decisions, but to me they are walking away from blokes like Yarran, Robinson and Garlett so they don't have to deal with them.

I could wear this happening once, twice might be bad luck, but we are becoming recidivists!
The Force Awakens!

Reply #67
I'm with LP, Yarran has been handled badly ever since he came to the club and nothing good will come of this latest slap we've given him.
He's a rare talent who could become a club legend, but I doubt that he will.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #68
On the late to the meeting/session issue though.
There are team rules, break the rules and there MUST be consequences.
It's not a secret, it's not humiliating to the infringing player, at least no more humiliating than having to show a speed camera fine to the missus... It's about taking respond ability for your actions, and it's also about team building.
If you break your agreed rules with your team/work mates and IF you want to sook and feel humiliated because you are forced to be accountable and honest with them, then you will not have respect of your peers and I doubt you'll be employed for long.

Again I'm just playing devils advocate here, I'll be shattered if this is the situation, I don't particularly want yo see anyone be traded out, but I know that some will need to be for the greater good.
Let’s go BIG !

Reply #69
Yarran isn't being disciplined for Yarran.  He is being disciplined for the group.

It sets the tone that all will be held to higher standards than we are used to.

Unfortunately the media side of this is poor. 

Can't blame Mick for this one. 
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #70
Thank God he's gone! At least there's one less thing to worry about. Can't wait for the game this weekend with or without Yarran. Go Blues! :D
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #71
Exactly. Amateur hour. Why humiliating one person is considered sensible or jumping into cold water as a group likewise is beyond me.  ::)

Yarren is playing angry at the moment and it is not doing him or the team any good. He should have been told to take a week off, but dropping back to the seconds is clumsy.

I dont know what is going on with the fellow but he is in a bad place and the club is not doing him any favours with their ham fisted approach.

Lets get one thing clear. Nobody is to blame except Yarran himself. He was late, and not for the first time. The sooner you take a stand on these things, the better off you'll be. Perhaps if we took such a stance in Fevs early days, he'd still be wearing Navy Blue.

Now, as for the punishment style, that is punish the whole team, it is a proven method. Billy Brownless and a few other blokes were talking about it on radio the other day as they had similar rules back in the day. Billy said there was nothing worse than knowing you were the one who let the team down. Billy said that he knew blokes who were likely to sleep in and get them all in trouble, so a few of the boys would ring him/them and ensure they were up and about and wouldn't be late. It got to the extreme at one stage where players had to physically go around and wake him/them up and drive them in to ensure everyone got there on time.

End result, brought the team closer together as they always had eachothers backs. Stopped them being late too.

Now as for the actual punishment, dipping in cold water, that is not simply to torture the guys, there is a benefit to it much like an ice bath. So while it is very uncomfortable for all the players, it has its benefits.

Reply #72
Jesus......the way some people are banging on about Yarran's punishment - you'd think he was the second coming (pun intended). Has done next to diddly-squat for us this year and as for the "He's been handled badly...." - oh purlease, give me a frickin' break.

Can't wait to see The Kreuze running around again tomorrow btw. His presence could & should change the entire functionality of the team.....and in a good way.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #73
Huh? No issue with being dropped for me (not sure why they couldn't keep it in house but anyway ) did they make him have a cold water bath as "punishment"? WTF? If that's true and wasn't part of a "if you're late, you get a dunk" type jokish agreement beforehand, then this is one seriously screwed up club. Start looking at the bozos who put that Lord of the Flies crap together rather than the board and its clowns.

Reply #74
Jesus......the way some people are banging on about Yarran's punishment - you'd think he was the second coming (pun intended). Has done next to diddly-squat for us this year and as for the "He's been handled badly...." - oh purlease, give me a frickin' break.

Can't wait to see The Kreuze running around again tomorrow btw. His presence could & should change the entire functionality of the team.....and in a good way.