Skip to main content
Topic: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide After Game Thread (Read 44637 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 10: Carlton vs Adelaide After Game Thread

Reply #75
Nuh. There was no authority or flair in those games.

Today we looked like if we'd had the blokes we'd have won rather than been honourable losers/competitors.

The real test for us will be after the break when we have near our best side to pick from (minus Juddy ... :'()

Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #76
Nuh. There was no authority or flair in those games.

Today we looked like if we'd had the blokes we'd have won rather than been honourable losers/competitors.

The real test for us will be after the break when we have near our best side to pick from (minus Juddy ... :'()

The St Kilda game was probably a poor example....they were terrible that day.
But I think we showed a bit in some of those other games.
I actually remember times when we moved the ball through the middle at speed similar to today and the commentators were questioning whether Malthouse had changed it up or the players had taken control because it seemed like a return to pre-Malthouse times.

I'm as happy as anyone with that performance today....but there are a few contributing factors which is why we need to ensure we back it up.

Re: After Game Thread v Crows

Reply #77
Thomas is finished. ...keep him in the reserves for the rest of his contract
jamison is finished ...his shoulders are gone.....keep him in the reserves for the rest of his contract
carrozzo is finished at years end
armfield is finished
yarran is trade material
gibbs is trade material
warnock is finished
white is depth for the reserves until we build the list up

Jammo makes us better in the backline, bad shoulders or not. We do need him badly at least until we develop someone else.

Gibbs now I want to see play under Barker to see if we get a return to last season, as we did with Murphy today. Same with Daisy seeing he's on this huge contract. Don't want to pay 750k for him to run around with the NBs unless we really have to.

Reply #78
Love Armfield's passion and endeavour as a forward and he plays with heart, something we have lacked this year - defence is too much of a risk. I'd retain him.

Walker on the other hand is really having a poor year and his disposal is deplorable at the moment.

Walker started late and has missed two lots of games. Probably not that fit. Prefer him out of the backline.

Reply #79
The quick movement of the ball by hand from defence really stood out today, as did the licence that the coah has given the players to take the game on. Armfield, Buckley, Cripps, Murphy, Simpson were great at this today.

Henderson hands were back today and I loved Casboult's game, with the exception of the kick on the full on the run and the smother in the goal square.

Good to see Kreuzer make an impact, because that didnt look very likely in the 2s last week.

Great day at the football.

Yes, don't the forwards love it when the ball comes in quickly. Makes so much of a difference to their confidence and hence their form.

Reply #80
Admit I actually like JBs media conferences. Went right off them with MM and his surly approach.

I really like that JB says we shouldn't get too carried away by the increased pressure (which I admit I did... been so long!) as it must become the norm; the standard week in week out.

I'm actually looking forward to the remainder of the season... which is something I didn't think I would have said a few weeks back. Looking forward to seeing Kroooooz staying on the paddock -- his effort at the contests was enormous -- the Irish boys returning, getting a look at Holman etc.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #81

Judd is a proud man, and wouldn't want to leave the game in such a tragic way.
Would LARS be an option for cjay5 ?

Reply #82
Have to agree Baggers, although when someone asked him if he thought Judd would play on, his response was gold, just a snigger and a short I don't know, but the facial expression basically said, mate you're a d!ckhead. He just said two questions ago that he would touch base with Juddy later in the night. I'm sure the Baker would have rushed down to the car asked Judd if he was going to play on all while the game was going on. ::)

I also liked what he said about the effort, it shouldn't be thought of as fantastic, it should be what is expected every game. SPOT ON!

If Carlton play like that every game for the rest of the year, a big chunk of the crowds that stopped going will come back and the financial mess that comes with losing could be softened.

It's easy to have a bit of emotion up and going when a coach is replaced, let's hope that the Adelaide game is our base line, and we improve from here.

Cripps - who was our last player that was this natural at the game. I see why the comparisons are Diesel like. There was a ball in the forward 50 that Cripps collected and jumped up to get his arms over the tackle, instead of giving a little one to the player standing next to him, Cripps took the extra half second and put it to a clear player that I think lead to the Kreuzer running goal. It's making the right decision at the right time. Another year then Cripps is in as a Vice Captain.

Murphy - This is what I was hoping for after seeing his last 6 games of 2014, tackling, running, leadership. The tackle he laid on Walker in the first quarter just showed what he can do and should have been doing for the first 9 rounds. Sure MMs gameplan didn't suit the players but that sort of effort in tackling should have still been there.

Casboult / Rocca - We have ourselves a dominant forward, not just a dominant mark. While he will never be a Lockett or Dunstall if Levi keep that level of kicking then that a 50-60 goal forward that we can build around.

Henderson - I'm still an advocate for him at CHB but that was his best (non St Kilda) game as a forward, still is spoiled to easily and doesn't get enough shots on goal, but he controlled the forward line and his taps and knocks to advantage we very nice.

Simpson - Set the tone early, hopefully he doesn't retire too soon. STAR!

The gameplan was similar to Rattens, run in waves share the ball and play on. I hope that Yarran was watching cause this is the style of play that will make him look like a total jet. His poor standards stopped him from playing in a game that finally played to his strengths.

Just another side note, anyone who was watching the game at home, how good was Eddie's calling. Sure he is Collingwood but his emotion in this game was all for Carlton, the mark Kreuzer took, Eddie called early and you would have thought it was for the game. Then late in the third I had to check what quarter we were in because of Eddies passion for the close game. I makes a refreshing change from the backslapping of the Friday night team or when we get a Dwayne Russell / Brian Taylor lead commentary team.

Reply #83
A poor call? The scoring shots are fact not opinion.

Does that take into account kicks out on the full?
Does it take into account smothers 10m out from goal?

Have a look at the 'advanced stats' on the AFL website for our game.

Have a look at the G, B and G% stats.
Henderson 1 0 50%
Bell 1 0 50%
Cripps 1 0 50%

Now what that is saying is from 2 shots at goal, they kicked 1 and missed everything with the other. THAT doesn't show up on the scoreboard.

It also has Casboult 3 1 60% (missed 1 altogether).

There are another 12 players who didn't kick a goal or behind but MAY have missed shots on goal too.

So that is a definite 4 shots on goal that didn't et on the scoreboard. From memory Curnow sprayed one as well. So that's 5 at least. Doesn't take into account Casboult or Bells smothered shots 10-15m out that should've been gimmes. Suddenly its a lot closer than the scoreboard would lead you to believe. How many shots hit the post? How many behinds were rushed?

It was a crap call. Admit it and move on.

Reply #84
The scoreboard doesn't lie.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #86
For some reason this year it does.

Prior to this year if you dominated the contested ball and clearances you would probably win. We're winning the contested ball and still getting smashed.

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #87
Can't believe the people are still banging on about Army needing to make way.

His standard effort level is what the rest of the team finally came with. He has shown more determination than the rest of our list combined.

He is never going to win a brownlow, but he is the type of player that players love playing with.

To say he is finished at seasons end on the back of a 2 goal game is rather amusing to me. Plenty to go ahead of him based on efforts this season.

FWIW, a quick word on Carrazzo. There was at least 3 occasions yesterday were he made VERY uncharacteristic fumbles/mistakes in close. It was a clear sign to me that age has not only caught up with him, but has jumped on his back! Of course there was a couple examples later on where he managed to haul in some errant handballs that made me think he's not quite there yet.

I suspect this year is definitely his last though. Given that, it may be advantageous to give him the odd spell to let some kids get more games.

Reply #88
Armfield is one of the few guys who has the running power that is required to be competitive in 2015.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #89
For some reason this year it does.

Prior to this year if you dominated the contested ball and clearances you would probably win. We're winning the contested ball and still getting smashed.

So your justification for saying the scoreboard tells the whole story is that SOME stats are now more misleading than they have been previously.

So the scoreboard only tells the whole story this year....when you want it too. Whereas last year it didn't.

Keep digging mate, you're halfway to china now.

Fact is the scoreboard suggests we were lucky to get that close based on the scoring shots it shows.
Reality is, there is more information that shows we should've been a hell of a lot closer than the scoreboard suggests.

You made a bad call. Deal with it.