Skip to main content
Topic: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations (Read 61772 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #135
If the AFL is serious about the whole "head is sacrosanct" business, then each and every player that lays a tackle like Gibbs must serve time. Perhaps you could argue that in cases like Gibbs, where the head hitting the deck is more likely accidental than not, a reduced suspension is justifiable. Players must understand that to all intents and purposes, the AFL is a modern workplace, and as such a duty of care applies. Players simply must learn to tackle in a way where such incidents don't occur.

Reply #136
It's only taken 8 years for Gibbs to lay a tackle. Well done.
— Dom Cassisi (@DomCassisi) June 20, 2015

2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #137
If the AFL is serious about the whole "head is sacrosanct" business, then each and every player that lays a tackle like Gibbs must serve time. Perhaps you could argue that in cases like Gibbs, where the head hitting the deck is more likely accidental than not, a reduced suspension is justifiable. Players must understand that to all intents and purposes, the AFL is a modern workplace, and as such a duty of care applies. Players simply must learn to tackle in a way where such incidents don't occur.

Paul, in my past experiences the only way to remove the risk of what happened to Gray is to ban any forceful tackling altogether. If you go in with any kind of forceful impact there will always a danger of the guy being knocked to the ground before he has the chance to brace himself to absorb the impact - that's just the way it is unfortunately. The only way to significantly reduce the risk is to institute some form of standing tackle whereby if the guys forward momentum is stopped he is deemed tackled.

This all needs very careful and thorough and discussion as I think we are in danger of altering the game to the detriment of its spectacle if we rush to react too swiftly to this. All options need to be looked at to protect players from potentially harmful concussion but let's not ruin the game in doing that. Hell, we and the media were only a couple of weeks ago criticising our boys for being too shy in the tackling dept.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #138
Havnt been around for a while cos we've been so crape. But even had we lost yesterday, it's *that* effort and hardness that we supporters want to see week in and week out. Keep dishing this up on a regular basis and watch us supporters flood back to support you!!
20K @ the G is a dismal effort based only on the crap e've been watching up until now. Keep this style of footy up and 50K plus crowds will be a regular gig ;)
The crowd of  27k of which 24K were Carlton supporters against an interstate team is a fair crowd .We will never get 50k at the G for an interstate team unless it is Sydney,Tiggers played West Toast and there were only 43k and West Toast have a much larger supporter base than Port and both teams are playing well .The roar at the end of the game against Port was equal to a 50k crowd .       

Reply #139
Paul, in my past experiences the only way to remove the risk of what happened to Gray is to ban any forceful tackling altogether. If you go in with any kind of forceful impact there will always a danger of the guy being knocked to the ground before he has the chance to brace himself to absorb the impact - that's just the way it is unfortunately. The only way to significantly reduce the risk is to institute some form of standing tackle whereby if the guys forward momentum is stopped he is deemed tackled.

This all needs very careful and thorough and discussion as I think we are in danger of altering the game to the detriment of its spectacle if we rush to react too swiftly to this. All options need to be looked at to protect players from potentially harmful concussion but let's not ruin the game in doing that. Hell, we and the media were only a couple of weeks ago criticising our boys for being too shy in the tackling dept.

You make some fair points cookie. It is of course a contact sport, but the contact that does occur,, and the rules and protocols that apply to it, must be seen in an evolutionary context. You can no longer iron someone out, you can no longer drive your shoulders into someone's head with maximum force (see my link to Lethal's article), and so on. We now have both anecdotal and medical evidence that highlights the dangers that comes from excessively forceful contact to the head over a long period of time, and we need to act on it. My enjoyment of the game would not be compromised one iota if the sling tackle was banned. Of course, the implementation of such rules won't be easy, and they won't be to everyone's satisfaction. I see parallels with the spear tackle that was banned in Rugby league many years ago, and rightly so. The RL players have adapted.

I have attached a couple of links, which may only be partially related to the topic at hand, but which I thought were interesting nonetheless.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/afl-legend-leigh-matthews-on-how-he-isnt-proud-of-the-footballer-he-was/story-fni5f22o-1226686834116

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/jude-bolton-believed-concussions-were-a-badge-of-honour-now-hes-leading-awareness-campaign/story-fni5f22o-1227339152556

The link to the Jude Bolton article is blocked by a subscription page. If you do o Google search for "Jude Bolton concussion", one of the links near the top should take you to the article.

Reply #140
Gibbs will probably get suspended, Gray was carted off which was unfortunate and we should not like seeing that, so 1 week is likely with an early plea and good record. However for a longer term team perspective it was a message of physicality that hasn't been shown by Carlton for a long time. For too long we have been punching bags yet on the weekend our tackling was aggressive like it should be. So I think a suspension for Bryce is a cheap price to pay for a strong message. Let's just hope this sort of physicality continues into the future.

Reply #141

A lot of folk were laying into him on twitter after that tweet.  One even showed you tube footage of him laying a bad tackle on Murph. 
Think he apologised later,  probably all the crap he copped had something to do with it

Reply #142
Gibbs will probably get suspended, Gray was carted off which was unfortunate and we should not like seeing that, so 1 week is likely with an early plea and good record. However for a longer term team perspective it was a message of physicality that hasn't been shown by Carlton for a long time. For too long we have been punching bags yet on the weekend our tackling was aggressive like it should be. So I think a suspension for Bryce is a cheap price to pay for a strong message. Let's just hope this sort of physicality continues into the future.

Tough and hard, but fair.

Reply #144

Sam McClure tweeted straight back to him telling him it was actually his 711th tackle and that he averages 4 a game throughout his career.

Gibbs career tackling stats are actually very similar to Cassissi's.

Gibbs

Reply #145
Gibbs just given two weeks.

Anyone gunna lose sleep over that ;) ;) ;) >:D

Re: Re: Round 12: Carlton vs. Port Adelaide - Post match celebrations

Reply #146
3 weeks for laying a tackle, is this netball?
Mens sana in corpore sano - A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Navy, it's not just a color, it's an attitude !!!

Reply #148
3 weeks for laying a tackle, is this netball?

He should just have elbowed him in the jaw like Hodge did.  Would have got the same result.

Bullcrape decision.

Reply #149
He should just have elbowed him in the jaw like Hodge did.  Would have got the same result.

Bullcrape decision.

Spot on. Next time just smack the bloke in the head.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!