Skip to main content
Topic: Why So Different?? (Read 36482 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why So Different??

Reply #49
Not exactly related to the "game plan", but I wonder whether the new found tough edge as witnessed in the Port game, comes from specific instructions from Barker himself ? He spent most of his playing career at the birthplace of unsociable football, and was also an assistant under Clarkson for a couple of seasons. I wonder if he's passed on to the boys some of the finer points of this, er....... much maligned art ?

I wonder also whether he has a bit of that John Worsfold thing happening ? The iron fist in the velvet glove. Woosha always liked that "mild mannered bespectacled pharmacist " facade, but those who saw him as a player know he was anything but. Barker has a bit of that easy going manner, but I wonder if there's more to him than that..............

Reply #50
Not exactly related to the "game plan", but I wonder whether the new found tough edge as witnessed in the Port game, comes from specific instructions from Barker himself ? He spent most of his playing career at the birthplace of unsociable football, and was also an assistant under Clarkson for a couple of seasons. I wonder if he's passed on to the boys some of the finer points of this, er....... much maligned art ?

I wonder also whether he has a bit of that John Worsfold thing happening ? The iron fist in the velvet glove. Woosha always liked that "mild mannered bespectacled pharmacist " facade, but those who saw him as a player know he was anything but. Barker has a bit of that easy going manner, but I wonder if there's more to him than that..............

Woosha used to be known as "The Smiling Assassin" in his playing days. Barker smiles a lot too!  :))
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #51
i still think we need to change our playing style,still to many long kicks to a contest from def or to contest on the wings

Reply #52

I'm sure there are meetings and strategies and game plans and all the other stuff, but what Barker has been 100% on is EFFORT.

It's a simple message. I reckon he's been around that group a long time. He'd know every attribute of every player on the list. Which ones work hard, which ones dog it, what other clubs think about individual players.

He's no dummy and, like a lot of guys who are quite relaxed and accommodating as 2IC's, he probably wants to shake the nice guy image a bit when he's in charge.

I think he wants to be firm but fair, everyone knows where they stand and players are treated equally. Unlike MM who treated star player and his pets differently to the workers.

I'm guessing this from Perth, but it seems logical to me that the message is , do the work and you'll get your chance.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #53
You have to be disturbed by the difference between effort.

Should always be playing for the jumper.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #54

Mate you really still don't get it do you? The players had lost confidence and faith to the point where they had nothing left to give. It wasn't an attitude thing. It was a drained thing.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #55

Hard to play with an albatross of a game plan hanging around your neck.

May as well asked them to play in chain mail.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #56
i still think we need to change our playing style,still to many long kicks to a contest from def or to contest on the wings

I think the brains trust will tinker with the game plan when they get 25-30 players doing the basics right.....the players looked mentally damaged from'the Malthouse
era and need a bit of freedom to forget what they have been taught by MM which has proven to be fear of failure and a self survival attitude only.
We are now seeing some teamwork and passion on the field, good players like Henderson who looked in a daze and trance under Malthouse looked excited with the Port win..
A few small steps at a time will see the method improve..you look at a kid like Graham who didnt know where he was in the scheme of things and with a few games in a row
looks comfortable in the seniors and is not just looking on but actually contributing and is the sort of player if you watch him does look for a player rather than bomb it long.
Bombing it long is also a panic manoeuvre from players who fear to take the game on and be creative because they fear making a mistake...another Malthouse legacy that needs eradicating..

Boekhorst is a player who will benefit from Barkers attacking take the game on philosophy IMO and who will add some creative running and look to bring teammates into play rather than just bomb it long..just needs some senior games and to be told its ok to make a mistake and we wont drop you if you do....

Reply #57
Hard to play with an albatross of a game plan hanging around your neck.

May as well asked them to play in chain mail.

Gameplan shouldn't come into the equation.  Nor emotions.

Effort is mandatory.

Ignoring the fact that players were not trying because of any factor other than the senior coach is sticking your head in the sand.

@Carrots, I think you'll find I get it, but am not understanding why, effort is conditional.   I got taught to compartmentalise my feelings so when the pressure is on, you can deal.with it.  Work at work.  Family at home and never the twain shall impact each other, and that way performance in either department doesn't suffer.

Nick Graham showed effort.  Cripps,  Judd.  Some of the others though just failed to even try.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #58
Gameplan shouldn't come into the equation.  Nor emotions.

Effort is mandatory.

Ignoring the fact that players were not trying because of any factor other than the senior coach is sticking your head in the sand.

@Carrots, I think you'll find I get it, but am not understanding why, effort is conditional.   I got taught to compartmentalise my feelings so when the pressure is on, you can deal.with it.  Work at work.  Family at home and never the twain shall impact each other, and that way performance in either department doesn't suffer.

Nick Graham showed effort.  Cripps,  Judd.  Some of the others though just failed to even try.

It's a condition called Learned Helplessness. Its a condition that's well known, researched, documented and peer reviewed.

Look it up. Basically it's a condition where, when confronted with a task that can't be completed successfully, the effort a person will give gradually diminishes until they give up.

Cork Heads game plan made games unwinnable, particularly with his repeated statements that his list was no good.

Not sure if anyone has written about the phenomenon in soccer so you'll probably have trouble understanding it.

Reply #59
It's a condition called Learned Helplessness. Its a condition that's well known, researched, documented and peer reviewed.

Look it up. Basically it's a condition where, when confronted with a task that can't be completed successfully, the effort a person will give gradually diminishes until they give up.

Cork Heads game plan made games unwinnable, particularly with his repeated statements that his list was no good.

Not sure if anyone has written about the phenomenon in soccer so you'll probably have trouble understanding it.

The Ox is frustrated so the Earth moves on! ;)
The Force Awakens!