Skip to main content
Topic: Why So Different?? (Read 35796 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Why So Different??

Reply #60
It's a condition called Learned Helplessness. Its a condition that's well known, researched, documented and peer reviewed.

Look it up. Basically it's a condition where, when confronted with a task that can't be completed successfully, the effort a person will give gradually diminishes until they give up.

Cork Heads game plan made games unwinnable, particularly with his repeated statements that his list was no good.

Not sure if anyone has written about the phenomenon in soccer so you'll probably have trouble understanding it.

Well, as Mick once famously quipped  “Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein.”
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #61
small steps is in the right direction ,thats we want to see.

Reply #62
It's a condition called Learned Helplessness. Its a condition that's well known, researched, documented and peer reviewed.

Look it up. Basically it's a condition where, when confronted with a task that can't be completed successfully, the effort a person will give gradually diminishes until they give up.

Cork Heads game plan made games unwinnable, particularly with his repeated statements that his list was no good.

Not sure if anyone has written about the phenomenon in soccer so you'll probably have trouble understanding it.

Learned helplessness....

No wonder we still can't hit targets here I was thinking that tackling blokes and kicking a footy was part of the job description but it all became too hard because the coach hurt their feelings.

Yep can't wait to see what happens next time it gets hard.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #63
Learned helplessness....

No wonder we still can't hit targets here I was thinking that tackling blokes and kicking a footy was part of the job description but it all became too hard because the coach hurt their feelings.

If someone tells you to go get eggs from the neighbours then tells you you have to go via the Hume Hwy, then belittles you for taking too long - you may do it with some enthusiasm. crap, you may do it for a month or two with enthusiasm because dammit, no one gets eggs like you but after a while you're going to think this guy's a screwwit.

It doesn't have to be because your feeligns are hurt :-/

Reply #64

You already did, when Port came at us hard in the last quarter and we had to deal with six stoppages in their forward 50m with less than a goal the difference and just minutes to go. Our boys came through with flying colours.

Thank fork Mick is gone. Man was he awful for this club.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #65
Learned helplessness....

Obviously couldn't find a soccer link.

Nothing to do with hurt feelings . It the removal of hope from a task .

For example. Right now you defend MM every time you post, but that will fall away as it becomes apparent that he was a complete screwwit and nobody (except Kruds) agrees with you.

Eventually you'll stop trying to make the argument that MM was a genius and (we hope) stop posting crap.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................

Reply #66
Learned helplessness....

Time to grow a pair and actually admit you were wrong. People have problems with fragile egos. More important to be "right" than actually be right. You're right up there with MBB and Kruds on that one.

How much harder did you want it Saturday. Port came at us, got within a goal, and without another goal being kicked, we held that from over 10 minutes to win. Now that's hard when you're under the pump.

Reply #67
no 1 more pleased than me that we won BUT we are lucky schultz hits post 9mins to go port hit the front,hendo wasnt a mark,mitchel running through middle stuffed his kick . win a win i suppose,

Reply #68
You guys are one trick ponies.  You got it wrong, is a far cry from thinking things through and analysing anything.

I'll give you a clue.

Chris Judd had no issues giving his all.

Why does anyone else? Why is he different?

Forget Malthouse,  this isn't about him.  Or you can pretend it is and that we didn't let a 29 point lead slip to a 3 point lead and you can also ignore that our first 6 goals were scores from port Adelaide's errors. 

Now the game plan is a factor and currently going flat stick seems to be the way to play.  Port are showing that unless you are super fit this won't always work.

What if they reduce rotations further? Will it be more open? Or more contested?

Think about it.  I'm pleased and worried about a difference in commitment.   it's encouraging to see, but worrying that it can return as soon as the emotional highs start to peeter out.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #69
Thry, trust me when I say your feelings are all too transparent. Just let it go. You were wrong and all we are getting from you is your defence mechanism. The only people that aren't happy with the last few weeks are those who wanted Malthouse to stay (surprise surprise). Have not seen you celebrate our win on Saturday at all. Speaks volumes.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #70
You guys are one trick ponies.  You got it wrong, is a far cry from thinking things through and analysing anything.

I'll give you a clue.

Chris Judd had no issues giving his all.

Why does anyone else? Why is he different?

Forget Malthouse,  this isn't about him.  Or you can pretend it is and that we didn't let a 29 point lead slip to a 3 point lead and you can also ignore that our first 6 goals were scores from port Adelaide's errors. 

Now the game plan is a factor and currently going flat stick seems to be the way to play.  Port are showing that unless you are super fit this won't always work.

What if they reduce rotations further? Will it be more open? Or more contested?

Think about it.  I'm pleased and worried about a difference in commitment.   it's encouraging to see, but worrying that it can return as soon as the emotional highs start to peeter out.

Mick was never going to back down and admit his methods/game plan were wrong...he became selfish and put his own pride ahead of the club, the media could see it as could the majority of supporters.
Sure the Barker plan is based on going flat chat and fitness will probably limit its effect down the track but at least the players look happy and bonded and thats a starting point to rebuild the club....
Chris Judd is the ultimate professional and was able to battle on through the tough times and that says plenty about the man, less talented players fell by the wayside, kids like Graham nearly had their careers taken away by MM...Graham is now a regular yet would have been good odds to be flicked if Mick had continued on and refused to play or develop him...
Sorry we cant forget  about Mick and he deserves his place alongside Denis Pagan as a coaching failure during his tenure who looked after himself first and the club second....

Reply #71
Mick was never going to back down and admit his methods/game plan were wrong...he became selfish and put his own pride ahead of the club, the media could see it as could the majority of supporters.
Sure the Barker plan is based on going flat chat and fitness will probably limit its effect down the track but at least the players look happy and bonded and thats a starting point to rebuild the club....
Chris Judd is the ultimate professional and was able to battle on through the tough times and that says plenty about the man, less talented players fell by the wayside, kids like Graham nearly had their careers taken away by MM...Graham is now a regular yet would have been good odds to be flicked if Mick had continued on and refused to play or develop him...
Sorry we cant forget  about Mick and he deserves his place alongside Denis Pagan as a coaching failure during his tenure who looked after himself first and the club second....

X 1,000,000
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #72
MM was a cancer to this club.  Once it got cut out things started to improve.

Had the support of some players, but it is clear now that he did not have support from the majority of them. 

Results over last 2 weeks provides that

Reply #73
Suffice to say, I'm really looking forward to seeing the game this week!  :)
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #74
no 1 more pleased than me that we won BUT we are lucky schultz hits post 9mins to go port hit the front,hendo wasnt a mark,mitchel running through middle stuffed his kick . win a win i suppose,

Then it would have been a close loss.

Given where we have been and where Port have been, it still would have been an acceptable result.
You can fool some of the people some of the time.......................................