Skip to main content
Topic: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad (Read 61617 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: NAB Challenge: Carlton vs. Sydney at Etihad

Reply #195
Not a bad result for a club that is being tested and found seriously short of the standards required of modern league football. The skill difference was astounding at times, but there were some good performances from Boekhorst, weitering and kerridge. Good signs.

We are certainly playing a more modern style with much more coordination across half back, dare I say 'structure'. Our forward line is going to be a battle this year mainly because the skills for clean delivery are not up to scratch, and we dont have forwards that can play the modern style of constant coordinated movement. Its going to need our midfield to step up as goal kickers, so the likes of gibbs and thomas will drift forward quite a bit over the season to provide options for overlap 40 metres out or so.

Still, we had no injuries, the key players got a run and we looked coherent, especially in the third quarter.

Reply #196
Patch there in the 3rd qtr where Weitering and Franklin were pitted against each on three successive occasions, 23 won all three contests. He's beginning to remind me of a bigger Bruce Doull.

I see what you did there  ;)
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #197
So I've compiled a list of comments from this thread alone that I just know are going to be trolled out ad nauseum this year which will drive me bananas.

Maybe not Groundhog Day exactly, but these issues have plagued us for 10 years now:
-----------------------------------
  • Might be the year for honourable losses.
  • I thought that their poise and execution more than compensated for our harder tackling and ability to retain possession.
  • We give away too many frees and turn the ball over too much on our HB line which result in too many goals.
  • We seriously lack fwds who can kick straight.
  • When we finally started playing half way through the second quarter ...
  • We won the game from that point but gee some silly mistakes cost us.
  • ... skills still let us down at key times.
----------------------------------

And I can predict a few of my own:

• [Opposition] snapped an x game losing streak with an unexpected but hard fought win over a disappointing Carlton
  • [Opposition] basically shut the gate when they scored x goals in a row with very little resistance from the Blues {usually in 2nd & 3rd qtrs}
  • It was a game Carlton were expecting to win after impressive performances in the previous [2-4] games
  • A fundamental error from [experienced player] cost the Blues dearly
  • etc

Being a realist I know I can't expect NOT to read this sort of thing from time to time.  But if it could just be more limited than it has been in the past. Please god, PLEASE.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #198
Game plan looks really good so far.

Looks a bit like Ken Hinkley. Lots of centering up into the middle. Dangerous and is clearly taking time but promising.

once the team settles and BB works out what our best team is we'll see what we've got.

Reply #199
Matt Wright has earned a round spot IMO...tackles well for a smaller player and like Kerridge seems to know what to do with the football...

Gorringe vs Philips......like watching two heavyweight boxers stagger around a ring and not lay a glove on each other...wasnt impressed with either.
Philips probably has more idea about rucking but neither impressed me when down forward...the AFL website said they were both competitive??..didnt agree..

Jed Lamb...dropped marks and was generally hopeless IMO and I expected more from him vs one of his old teams...

Daisy...give him his due he tried hard and did a lot of work at the coalface and seems to lay a few tackles...still cant kick over a jam jar but he had a go...

Sam Rowe...a few grunt moments where he made some spoils but seems out of touch....if he gets Vickery or Griffths in Rnd 1 he might be leaking some goals...

Everitt...nada..

Wood's better than both those rucks but even then I'd have Levi rucking (also alot better than or other two new blokes on the ball) with Kreuzer so he's not stuck in the forward line all game, especially now that he'll attract all the opposition defenders. Running about taking marks gives him confidence when he goes back forward. Hopefully Jaksch does ok, sure he will eventually, but he must be sick or injured as we haven't seen him all pre-season. Like to see he and McKay as the future of the forward line.

Daisy seems like he'll never get that kicking power back. He'll do pretty well and certainly valuable but nothing like his Pies days.

Hopefully Lamb does better but even if only one or two of the GWS four work out it's a win.

Rowe's just a gap filler until Weitering fills the CHB spot full time

Everitt still has a few brownie points from last year's good work so hoping the real season gets him going.

Reply #200
Pretty fair summary Jim.

Reply #201
Desperately short in the forward line once you factor in the resting ruckman and Gorringe as useless.

Jaksch is potentially the most important player on our list (structurally) which makes it a big concern that he's so out of favour.

FF Lamb / Walker / Jaksch
HF Everitt / Casboult / Wright

I think that's our best forward line for the season but we're replacing Jaksch / Everitt with Phillips / Gorringe. Pretty depressing first 3 weeks ahead while Bolton figures this out.

Reply #202
Wood's better than both those rucks............

They're both young and can improve, we and the rest of the football world know what Wood's capable of and it's not much.
We're setting up a team for five years from now, playing Wood would be a backwards step in my opinion.
Casboult isn't the answer either, he's neither a good forward nor a decent ruckman and his field kicking is terrible, we need to recruit or rookie another young ruckman at the end of this season and keep persevering until we find someone capable of supporting Kreuzer.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #203
lOT OF BIG CALLS BEING MADE AFTER 3 scratch matches.

Yep
Silly stuff is over.

If our senior players didn't just use that as a "track gallop" they'd also be silly.

The intensity will shoot up considerably when the real stuff starts and we'll see whether the "March stars" are up to it.
At the same time the 'veterans' will also lift considerably....then we can make some sound assessments.

Reply #204
Desperately short in the forward line once you factor in the resting ruckman and Gorringe as useless.

Jaksch is potentially the most important player on our list (structurally) which makes it a big concern that he's so out of favour.

I think that's our best forward line for the season but we're replacing Jaksch / Everitt with Phillips / Gorringe. Pretty depressing first 3 weeks ahead while Bolton figures this out.

If Bolts doesn't want to play Cas as ruck / forward (as Jim suggests) then he should play as true FF in the goal square. He's not quite CHF material IMO.

Reply #205
They're both young and can improve, we and the rest of the football world know what Wood's capable of and it's not much.
We're setting up a team for five years from now, playing Wood would be a backwards step in my opinion.
Casboult isn't the answer either, he's neither a good forward nor a decent ruckman and his field kicking is terrible, we need to recruit or rookie another young ruckman at the end of this season and keep persevering until we find someone capable of supporting Kreuzer.

Prefer Wood many times over than the other two. Held up our rucks nicely last year.

Casboult showed last year he was decent enough to fill a role. Kicked goals and rucked ok. Not a star at all in either role but decent and as a combined role he is valuable. marking around the ground is certainly a strength even if he's not as good in the tap ruck department as the others. Hence he got quite a bit of interest last year. Just not sure playing him full time forward as it seems to get bogged down and it saps his confidence. A run on the ball tends to change that in both roles.

Reply #206
If Bolts doesn't want to play Cas as ruck / forward (as Jim suggests) then he should play as true FF in the goal square. He's not quite CHF material IMO.
CHF mightn't be too bad actually if it comes to  a choice between FF and CHF. Gets a chance to run around more. When he does that he takes marks. Doesn't do that at FF. Prefer the combined ruck and forward role though. Means we don't have to play Phillips or Gorringe.

Reply #207

It was mentioned on BF that Jaksch was recently hospitalised as he was ill and lost a bit of weight/conditioning. Might explain his absence from the squad if true. Is playing forward in the VFL today.

Reply #208
CHF mightn't be too bad actually if it comes to  a choice between FF and CHF. Gets a chance to run around more. When he does that he takes marks. Doesn't do that at FF. Prefer the combined ruck and forward role though. Means we don't have to play Phillips or Gorringe.

Fair enough. My reasoning has to do with a couple of factors :

1. If he is closer to goal, it increases the chance of him kicking goals, which is a confidence booster for him and a morale booster for the team. He has no trouble clunking marks - it's what happens after that is the problem. Having him at FF would also save some gas, which is no bad thing with the new reduced rotations.
2. I also think it plays into opposition hands to have him further from goal. Clearly the rest of the comp know he is an elite mark, so I reckon they'd be less worried if he was clunking them 50 out rather than 20 out. I know if I was the opposition coach, I wouldn't want Cas playing at FF. If he gets double or triple teamed, it creates problems for the defense and chances for our other forwards.

My 2cents.

Reply #209
Yep
Silly stuff is over.

If our senior players didn't just use that as a "track gallop" they'd also be silly.

The intensity will shoot up considerably when the real stuff starts and we'll see whether the "March stars" are up to it.
At the same time the 'veterans' will also lift considerably....then we can make some sound assessments.

I don't know... as far as preseason games go that was pretty intense. That was Sydney's best available team and they played full minutes to all their good players.