Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 50125 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #120
Yes.  With the possible exception of Sydney, he'd be a walk up start in any team.

I am without speech.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #121
What was with that Richmond player in the 4thQ being so close to Buckley when Bucks was told to play on. Yes he was on the 50, but it looked like he was having a shot.
We always get stung by the new rules EVERY year. Cost us a couple of 50's early but then the umps forgot about the 10m.
By the way, during general run of play it looks okay but when having a shot for goal then they should bring it back to 5m. IMO.
2024... Moir of the same to come

Reply #122
Just as a thought, everyone saw just how composed and talented Weitering is (needs a nickname, maybe Legend) what about swinging him forward occasionally.
I know it is a big ask for a new player but he is far from your 'normal' new player.
I feel he could be very useful thrown forward in tight situations and could become known as The General.
As a leading, marking forward and his kicking has got to be straighter than anyone else in our team.

Reply #123
The issue has never been Cas's around the ground work. Marks as good as anyone in the league, is big, mobile and has bit of mongrel about him.

But at the moment id rather have Oscar Pistorius kicking for goal.

Richmond were missing Chaplin, Conca, Deledio, Grigg, Maric and Yarran. They also have Lennon and Taylor Hunt waiting in the wings as depth and we were almost as strong as we are going to be so i think the way the game ended up was probably about right.

I was stoked with the way we went about it tonight, looked as good as we have in about 4 or 5 years i think.  8)

And that's just 5 or so months of pre-season so the synergy and gelling of the team should only get better. That's right people, don't be afraid, i used the word TEAM. That's what we looked like last night. Felt great to feel good about watching my beloved again.  :)

Look forward to having guys like Mr Plow, Sumner, Byrne, C Curnow, Army, Skittles, KJ and Cunningham out there to see what different dynamics we can implement.

Daisy will be back next week and i'm not happy nor sad about it, indifferent i suppose.

Apart from Weitering i wasnt super impressed with our big defenders. God JW is impressive.
Simmo and Docherty had plenty of it.

. Cripps is a magnificent beast who has me super excited, the wife even told me to calm the farm. Gets me as excited as Juddy used to, sorry CJ.

.Murph led well and from the front, stellar performance.

.Gibbs looked polished

.Kerridge and Wright are both big ticks for me, look like they want to play for the jumper, as did most of the boys last night.

.Kreuze/Sauce Mk11 ruck combo looked good.

. 2nd tier mids Nicky G, Mr Ed and Boeky all were serviceable

. Walker and Lamb did Ok

. Apart from Dre's 2 goals he was a bit stinky, as were Bucks and White.

All in all it was a .great team effort for our first real hit out. Rapt have footy back, the humidity and hot weather can piss off.  >:D

Bring on the Swans  8)

Reply #124
Weitering's first (not third) game:

17 disposals
12 kicks
5 handballs
7 marks
1 tackle

Not bad!  Moving him forward on the odd occasion is definitely something to keep in mind. He was moved to FF in last year's prelim final for the Stingrays and kicked 2 last q goals but they still lost narrowly.

I think Martin was the difference between the 2 teams last night. Stepped up when we threatened to stretch the lead beyond 3 goals (still our Achilles heel - the inability to get that extra crucial goal). The best 'fender offerer' in the game which crapes me to tears.  Teams should start anticipating this move as he does it every time - maybe the would be tackler should drop their knees Selwood-style so that, instead of Martin pushing you in the chest, he inadvertently pushes you in the face which is a free kick every time.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #125
What was with that Richmond player in the 4thQ being so close to Buckley when Bucks was told to play on. Yes he was on the 50, but it looked like he was having a shot.
We always get stung by the new rules EVERY year. Cost us a couple of 50's early but then the umps forgot about the 10m.
By the way, during general run of play it looks okay but when having a shot for goal then they should bring it back to 5m. IMO.

It's just a crap rule full stop. They're not even really enforcing the full 10m, get a measuring tape out or roughly step it out and it's massive gap.

The shot clock was off putting and served no purpose.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #126
With Casboult, why is it we always seem to kick it to where he is standing? His goal kicking aside for the moment, he would get a crape load more marks and be more useful if we could kick it away from him so he can run onto it.
Much harder to stop a 110kg man when he is moving in the air with pace.
Too many times he is just standing and the ball lands on his head.
Just saying...

Reply #127
If we had picked up Collins last year I would be happy to see Wietering moved forward. With his poise and clean disposal he would make a great forward but we need him down back.
The player we missed most last night was Charlie Curnow of two years from now or even one year, someone who will tear the game apart in a ten minute passage. We don't have anyone who can do that for us  in the forward line.
All credit to Murphy who played a great game last night and opened up a number of attacks until he tired in the last quarter.
Boeky needs to get some confidence in his kicking into the forward line and running into goal. You could see him hesitate a few times when he should've moved the ball on much quicker, ditto Buckley who looked lost when he made out he was shooting for goal outside 50.

Reply #128
With Casboult, why is it we always seem to kick it to where he is standing? His goal kicking aside for the moment, he would get a crape load more marks and be more useful if we could kick it away from him so he can run onto it.
Much harder to stop a 110kg man when he is moving in the air with pace.
Too many times he is just standing and the ball lands on his head.
Just saying...

After he missed that shot in the last he actually got free on the lead and he was snubbed, and for good reason.

He is only a 50/50 chance from 30 metres out directly in front.
2012 HAPPENED!!!!!!!

Reply #129
I am without speech.

His a big unit with great hands BUT the profession he is employed in is as a key forward.

Therefore when you get your minimal chances you MUST take them and be at least a 50% chance to convert. His team mates after busting a nut to get the ball in his hands must just feel so disheartened when he drop the ball onto his boot from 2 metres away  ::) and then depending on what part of the ball connects determines the direction it takes. Its pure chance and no system or technique to speak of.

His kicking is not even close to AFL standard not even local footy standard.  IMO this is his last year if comes seasons end it is still a liability. He needs to throw his current technique in the bin and start again. Not a great sign when your 26.

Reply #130
Just as a thought, everyone saw just how composed and talented Weitering is (needs a nickname, maybe Legend) what about swinging him forward occasionally.
I know it is a big ask for a new player but he is far from your 'normal' new player.
I feel he could be very useful thrown forward in tight situations and could become known as The General.
As a leading, marking forward and his kicking has got to be straighter than anyone else in our team.

Perhaps 'Bix' as in Weet Bix ??????????

Reply #131
His a big unit with great hands BUT the profession he is employed in is as a key forward.

Therefore when you get your minimal chances you MUST take them and be at least a 50% chance to convert. His team mates after busting a nut to get the ball in his hands must just feel so disheartened when he drop the ball onto his boot from 2 metres away  ::) and then depending on what part of the ball connects determines the direction it takes. Its pure chance and no system or technique to speak of.

His kicking is not even close to AFL standard not even local footy standard.  IMO this is his last year if comes seasons end it is still a liability. He needs to throw his current technique in the bin and start again. Not a great sign when your 26.

It's becoming very evident that certain players will only get you so far, when like last night several catch up, you become the liability if you cant  finish of the good work up the ground.Unfortunately when you have your go to guy that can't , he then becomes the liability, and we need better to move forward.

Reply #132
Best trade ever?
Out: Menzel
In: Kerridge, Phillips, Lamb.........and still have Plowman and Sumner

All 3 offered more than Menzel did most of the time and there is still room for improvement in each.

Plenty to like about a lot of the list changes in the off-season.
Weitering may never play a 2nds game in his career if he keeps up like that.
Wright was a very good contributer too for a 'freebie' in the offseason.

Very happy to see Walker up forward where he belongs. Keeps the ball alive, contests and competes on the ground and in the air. Good kick for goal. Not his best game ever, but could play for another 5 years in that role.

Boekhorst is starting to look comfortable at AFL level now and a few of his tricks are starting to show. A lot to like.

Cripps going down saw me just about throw something at the TV. Thought he was gone for the year. Seems to be ok. Started where he took off from last year. Apparantly only in the 'average' category according to Fox footy, will be elite by years end.

Murphy was pretty good for a bloke who hasn't had a hitout in 6 months. That is your base, the sky is the limit. Hopefully his shoulder is ok, not surprised if its not though.

Looks like the 2nds played well and had a few step up. Add the inclusion of Daisy, according to the coach, and looks like we might be struggling to fit everyone into our best 22.

On the chopping block for a variety of reasons would have to be....
Buckley
White
Casboult
Everitt

Ins to come from...
Daisy
Gorringe
Byrne
Jaksch
Silvagni
and potentially Charlie Curnow who didn't play in either game being 1st emergency

Reply #134

The problem is the lack of voice, we get pinged because opponents highlight the infringements to the umpires. Our Church Mice stay mum and as a result nothing happens, it occurred twice last night and Buckley should have been given a 50m.

Also notice the bias on the commentary, even after the game they highlight when 9thmond missed out on a 50m, but said nothing about the two glaring times Carlton suffered the same fate.

Also, since when is it allowed to fend players off by their throat. One example is on the front page of The Hun today. Martin does this 3 or 4 times a game and they commentators say nothing, except of Commetti who at one stage was surprised a free wasn't paid for high contact. It's bullcrap, the umpires pick and choose when to pay free kicks, they are not umpiring the rules.

But it's not just the players, it's our dumbar5e supporters many of whom are too busy hanging it on our own players when they should be pointing the finger at the indiscretions of opponents. Get off your fecking ar5e Carlton supporters and let the umpires know when your team is getting unfairly dealt with! Have a fecking voice!
The Force Awakens!