Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 49376 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #135
How about Chili?

Leaves you with a 'wet ring'  >:D

He's already called Weiters by the team, he's been Weiters since his school days.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #136
That effort should give a boost to membership.

Reply #137
Structure, audacity, daring, boldness......

Agree the Menzal thing, the Casboult thing....

Levi will not be a part of this team going forward, so why play him??  Surely between Foster, Curnow (C), SOSOS, and a bit more of Kreuz up front we as a collective can move on from the boy who was chained to Houla on the Yarra???? He kicks those two from inside 50 we win, simple as that.

Changes for round two:
In's.....Byrne, Thomas, Curnow
Out's...Casboult, Buckley, White
I was there, Blight missed!!!

Reply #138
I went along hoping to see effort.  Didn't think a win was possible, but we played well enough to get the chocolates. 

For the first time in a long while, I felt like I was watching a Carlton TEAM  :) :) :) :)

By the way, watch Bolton's presser - so much better than the grumble-faced rubbish we saw for the past 3 years.

Can we give votes to the Coach?

Grumble faced rubbish - brilliant.

Yeah, Bolts is a breath fresh air at the pressed.  Maybe said "high performance team" once too many times, though he did note he was repeating himself.  But you can see why the players have quickly adopted his way of things.

Reply #139
Age isn't everything but we had a more experienced team last night and really should have won.
"We are a club in a hurry"

#united #reset

Reply #140
His a big unit with great hands BUT the profession he is employed in is as a key forward.

Therefore when you get your minimal chances you MUST take them and be at least a 50% chance to convert. His team mates after busting a nut to get the ball in his hands must just feel so disheartened when he drop the ball onto his boot from 2 metres away  ::) and then depending on what part of the ball connects determines the direction it takes. Its pure chance and no system or technique to speak of.

His kicking is not even close to AFL standard not even local footy standard.  IMO this is his last year if comes seasons end it is still a liability. He needs to throw his current technique in the bin and start again. Not a great sign when your 26.    

I think a lot of the ball drop conspiracy is bullsh1t.

I presume you are being facetious on the 2m comment because he would be holding the ball above his head. Get with the metric system! ;)

Last night on Ch.EFC Wayne Carey had a rant about comparing Casboult's ball drop to Riewoldt, Carey banged on and on and on about Casboult needing to get the ball closer to his foot "Like Riewoldt". But post match when they eventually showed a comparative highlight of a Riewoldt shot for goal there was feck all difference. It may even be that Riewoldt's ball drop was higher but Ch.EFC tried their best to show an angle to make a supporting case for their commentator.

The problem isn't so much the height, it the straightness of the drop, and Casboult does fine when he is kicking from the F50 arc with his normal drop. He's had some tuition from Rocca and it's worked well, but this year Casboult's body shape has changed significantly which will without doubt effect his posture, balance and leg action. He will need to go back to school on the subject, if Rocca is no longer available then I'd be offering Fev some cash for tuition. Meat needs advice from blokes who solved their own problems so he can learn to get things sorted out for himself.

The inside F50 stuff, the short range problems, are not mechanical they are psychological. It's a problem in his head.

As for calls to drop him, they are unrealistic. I know we are disappointed in the kicks for goal, but ignoring that if he'd got them he would have probably been listed among the teams best. He was a running, marking monster last night and there are few clubs that can hope to match up with him. If he keeps up that level of intensity and clunking marks he is right up there with the competitions best. Having him in the team with Phillips and Kreuzer worked well, especially not having to ruck Casboult worked very well. The tall spud on the night was Everitt who avoids physical contact like someone with a phobia about it!

Further more, in unrelated play he used the ball pretty well. He hits as many targets by foot and sent the ball to advantage as well as any. Far better than Buckley, Everitt, Curnow or Kerridge who all tended to blaze away.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #141
Casboult will be moved on at the end of this year if he can't sort out his kicking.  In fact I think the Bolt is lucky that McKay did his back, because all though Harry will need a few years to develop, by is kicking - based on the five minutes I've seen of him - rubbishes all over Bolt.  He is Levi's replacement going forward.

They have to find room for Byrne in the team.  28 possessions and apparently set up a number of goals in the VFL match.  And last week that running goal.  He probably can't match it one on one against a decent forward, but he clearly knows what to do with the ball.  And that's why I'd have him in the side over White any day of the week.  Putting aside White's two howlers last night, he never looks completely sure of himself when he has the ball.  A bit like Rowe he has the deer in the headlights looks.  And that's why he can't be in our top 22 going forward.

Anyway, I'd have Bryne in for White.  Not sure who to drop for Thomas.  Yes, Buckley had a quiet game, but I think he was played out of position - the one thing in my view Bolts got wrong last night.  Still, it'd be tough to drop Lamb whose forward pressure was excellent and hit the scoreboard.

Reply #142
They have to find room for Byrne in the team.  28 possessions and apparently set up a number of goals in the VFL match.

Judging AFL ready form by AFL practices match is rubbish, judging AFL ready form by VFL practice matches doesn't even make it as high as rubbish!

Excluding injuries, I think Daisy will be the only in next week and the out is likely to be Everitt or White. Daisy gets to have some revenge on Laidler.

If Byrne does come in it will be at the expense of Buckley.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #143
Pretty good performance last night and couldn't walk away too disappointed. Ground was oddly quiet for such a large crowd; i figure the richmond fans were not thrilled. Martin is a gun player and he dragged them over the line. He will many times this year as they dont have enough consistent performers.

As for us, it was good to see positive attacking football with structure and coherent teamwork. We got tired in the last quarter and fumbles started, but so did richmond. The interchange will have an effect. We rotated players throuh the ground quite a bit too, which helped us get some miss matches.

Others have commented on the positives; our senior midfielders played very well and got forward a bit which is required in the absence of reliable forward options. We linked up well and was most pleased with our kicking out and moving the ball from the backline. We had clearly a few set plays worked out which gave options.

Poor old Casboult must be feeling ordinary this morning. His confidence must be so low with ball in hands. What is next? Hypnotism? If he could kick straight he would be a genuine key forward and give his team mates great confidence.

Liked phillips around the ground. His tap work is raw, but he jumped over the top and kicked a really nice goal. Well done. Wright with 3 goals was very good with his finishing.

Long season but quite a bit to look forward to. Thomas in next week, probably for buckly who looked a bit lost or white.

Reply #144
Excluding injuries, I think Daisy will be the only in next week and the out is likely to be Everitt or White.

No matter what people think of Everitt, he's good for 2 or 3 goals a game and that is gold for us at the moment until a viable alternative is ready.

Reply #145
No matter what people think of Everitt, he's good for 2 or 3 goals a game and that is gold for us at the moment until a viable alternative is ready.

Exactly!

There's no way Everitt will be dropped.  Apart from the dropped chest mark, and that can happen to anyone, I thought that he was OK . . . and he's not doing that silly single finger celebration. Somehow I don't think Bolton would appreciate it.
“Why don’t you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don’t you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don’t you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”  Oddball

Reply #146
Grumble faced rubbish - brilliant.

Yeah, Bolts is a breath fresh air at the pressed.  Maybe said "high performance team" once too many times, though he did note he was repeating himself.  But you can see why the players have quickly adopted his way of things.

That was a class performance by BB and should reassure us that we are in very good hands to go forward. He gets to the point, does not waffle around and gives the strong impression that clear plans have been set and are being followed. A man who knows exactly what he wants and communicates that to the rest of the coaching and playing group. They know what is expected and what their individual parts are in the whole thing.

Also mightily impressed by Weitering's interview. Very mature and a young man who we can be proud to have in our ranks! Murph also gave a good performance in his interview.

As to the match, again Weitering's great debut was the stand out obviously but also Murph's captain's example was terrific for me.

It was disappointing to lose the game but we showed glimpses of what we can become eventually and I don't want to dwell too much on our skill lapses and game plan stuff ups - we are still struggling a bit no doubt in adapting to the zone defence with some confusion certainly apparent at times.

Very early days I know but I feel better about our future than I have for many years and can't wait to see more next week.  :)

Also a very encouraging report from the VFL - many thanks Baggers.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #147
Meat always does better when he gets a run in the ruck, it seems to build his confidence.

Perhaps if he started high, around the 50 metre arc and led to wings he'd get more kicks in general play and fewer at goal... and in the process build some confidence. But it's a sad state when you have to think of so many concessions around your key forward.

Everitt has to go.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #148
I think a lot of the ball drop conspiracy is bullsh1t.

I presume you are being facetious on the 2m comment because he would be holding the ball above his head. Get with the metric system! ;)

Last night on Ch.EFC Wayne Carey had a rant about comparing Casboult's ball drop to Riewoldt, Carey banged on and on and on about Casboult needing to get the ball closer to his foot "Like Riewoldt". But post match when they eventually showed a comparative highlight of a Riewoldt shot for goal there was feck all difference. It may even be that Riewoldt's ball drop was higher but Ch.EFC tried their best to show an angle to make a supporting case for their commentator.

The problem isn't so much the height, it the straightness of the drop, and Casboult does fine when he is kicking from the F50 arc with his normal drop. He's had some tuition from Rocca and it's worked well, but this year Casboult's body shape has changed significantly which will without doubt effect his posture, balance and leg action. He will need to go back to school on the subject, if Rocca is no longer available then I'd be offering Fev some cash for tuition. Meat needs advice from blokes who solved their own problems so he can learn to get things sorted out for himself.

The inside F50 stuff, the short range problems, are not mechanical they are psychological. It's a problem in his head.

As for calls to drop him, they are unrealistic. I know we are disappointed in the kicks for goal, but ignoring that if he'd got them he would have probably been listed among the teams best. He was a running, marking monster last night and there are few clubs that can hope to match up with him. If he keeps up that level of intensity and clunking marks he is right up there with the competitions best. Having him in the team with Phillips and Kreuzer worked well, especially not having to ruck Casboult worked very well. The tall spud on the night was Everitt who avoids physical contact like someone with a phobia about it!

Further more, in unrelated play he used the ball pretty well. He hits as many targets by foot and sent the ball to advantage as well as any. Far better than Buckley, Everitt, Curnow or Kerridge who all tended to blaze away.

Spin it any way you want - fact is his job is to finish the work from up the ground and while his kicking is as bad as it is he can't be in our future plans if we want to improve as a club.

He has had this major flaw since arriving at the club - this year it needs to be fixed or trade him out if you can get something for him.

As Bolton said its a reset year and something like this will not be accepted come years end nor should it. 

Reply #149
Thought Nicky G was great last night. Really had a say in our third quarter comeback with plenty of score involvements. Hits players lace out when he gets the ball in space. Works really hard to win possession at the coalface. Needs to build his tank and run harder to get more outside ball because he's not quick but he's a great user of the ball. Take a leaf out of Carrazzo's book who was also not quick but would run hard all day.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!