Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 49387 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #150
Re: Casboult, I think you can overcoach a skill like goal kicking such that it becomes too much of a good thing.

ffs, go to the park, pick out two trees, try a couple of different things then stick with whatever works for you. It's not rocket science. Peter Hudson - stuttering approach, too hunched, flat mongrel punt - hardly ever missed.
Keyboard warrior #24601

Reply #151
Structure, audacity, daring, boldness......

Agree the Menzal thing, the Casboult thing....

Levi will not be a part of this team going forward, so why play him??  Surely between Foster, Curnow (C), SOSOS, and a bit more of Kreuz up front we as a collective can move on from the boy who was chained to Houla on the Yarra???? He kicks those two from inside 50 we win, simple as that.

Changes for round two:
In's.....Byrne, Thomas, Curnow
Out's...Casboult, Buckley, White

Who's your key forward next week? You're not playing those others as key forwards, at least not yet. Think you know you need a big body up forward. He'll be superseded eventually as McKay, C.Curnow and Jaksch develop but not until they are ready. Reckon Casboult will be a part of the team going forward for a while yet for that reason. Still prefer him as a our 2nd ruck to be honest but one can't certainly complain about Phillips effort last night. Was good around the ground, drifted forward and kicked a good goal.  Casboult kicked badly but certainly did well enough to keep his place. Kicking turned a good game into an ordinary one. Bring Jaksch in to help him and spread the defensive numbers.

Jaksch in for White and play forward , Byrne in for Buckley.

We didn't have alot of bad players last night. Just errors and composure are vital times. Reckon we could snag up to 7-8 wins based on that effort. We have some great games but as a young side we'll have our shockers too. All a part of learning and rebuilding.

Reply #152
w
Re: Casboult, I think you can overcoach a skill like goal kicking such that it becomes too much of a good thing.

ffs, go to the park, pick out two trees, try a couple of different things then stick with whatever works for you. It's not rocket science. Peter Hudson - stuttering approach, flat punt - hardly ever missed.

Needs to kick through the ball from close range. We know he can kick them regularly from 50.

Reply #153
No matter what people think of Everitt, he's good for 2 or 3 goals a game and that is gold for us at the moment until a viable alternative is ready.

I would agree.

Reply #154

Reply #155
Watched the game on TV, had to turn off the sound. I think we lost the game in the first quarter when our first three scoring shots were points and there's were goals. Throughout the night, Casboult had three getable shots and missed all three. If he kicked two out of three we would have won. At the start of the last quarter I was wondering who was going to win the game for us. clearly it wasn't Casboult, and if he can't kick goals he is a liability.
I would like to say that it is a lot easier to support a team that has a go, and while Richmond will get better when they get there better players in, Carlton will get better the more they play together.
Long term we need key defenders, hopefully Plowman, Jaksch and Glass-McCasker can rotate through these roles to support Weitering, and we need a key forward who can be the go to man when games need to be won, hopefully McKay, Silvagni or Curnow can take on the role.
Over the short term, we just need to play better for longer.

Reply #156
Stand top be corrected by future performance, but i thought Jamo was a real liability last night.

Whether it's his shoulders or between the ears, he's dusted imo.

Wish we had taken Collins in the draft.....

Finals, then 4 in a row!

Reply #157
No matter what people think of Everitt, he's good for 2 or 3 goals a game and that is gold for us at the moment until a viable alternative is ready.

I really understand that point but we're building and we need blokes who want to grow and risk and change for the betterment of the team.

Fortunately we will have viable alternatives very soon - Curnow and SOS to name a couple.

My knock on Everitt is his poor contribution in just about every other facet of forward play apart from opportunistic goals occurring purely due to the good work up the field - Everitt likes the 'easy ball' and that's just not good enough. White has shown that he can kick goals when up forward but gives more defensive grunt.

When players like Everitt and Casboult make mistakes or, in Everitt's case, fail to be fierce at the contest it can have a demoralising effect on other players... after all, others are busting a gut to get the ball into our forward line.

When you have 11 more inside 50s than your opponent and lose by 2 goals it says only one thing really clearly... your forwards, especially your key/taller forwards, are very badly letting down the team. Our small forwards and midfielders hit the scoreboard really well last night and worked tirelessly in other aspects of the game.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #158
In a nutshell Baggers. No room for passengers any more.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #159
Stand top be corrected by future performance, but i thought Jamo was a real liability last night.

Jamo is struggling to get used to the zone defence IMO. I recall one incident when the ball came in to a position 30 meters dead in front of our goal and Jamo and two other Blues raced off to their zones away from the drop of the ball, leaving a Tiger (forget who now) on his own for an easy possession and goal. It was a spectacular stuff up.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #160
In a nutshell Baggers. No room for passengers any more.

Bingo! Thank you. And no more room for excuses and justifications.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #161
Bingo! Thank you. And no more room for excuses and justifications.

From reports there will be pressure for a senior berth from a number of guys in the NBs. From last night's showing, and it's only one game, Everitt and Levi in particular will need to tidy up their acts if they want to continue to play senior football. Everitt's saving grace was his goals, otherwise a very weak looking game and a poor team contribution and example to others. We know all about Levi's main problem of course - why has he lapsed back? Hopefully this can be fixed pdq to get him on track again, otherwise he looked OK.
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #162
If Levi could kick like Carey he'd be one of the hottest commodities in the game. I have no doubts whatsoever his poor kicking affects his all round confidence. If he could kick straight he'd be twice the player in every other aspect of his game.
Ignorance is bliss.

ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

Reply #163

Spot on flyboy......was clearly the worst performed of him/Rowe/Weitering. He's literally in the team by default at the moment.
Football is life, there is nothing else....

Reply #164

Glass-McCasker might ease your pain...Collins did ok for the WB's during the NAB cup.....you cant beat ready made players who have the mature bodies....