Skip to main content
Topic: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications (Read 49336 times) previous topic - next topic

Re: Rd 1 Carlton vs Richmond Post Game Prognostications

Reply #210
Good call there PI2C. When he lined up for that deadset gimme in the last, I had no doubts he'd miss, 'cos by then his kicking demons had well and truly settled inside his head. He would've been a mess by then.

He's our version of Cloke. Great mark but cant kick to save himself. Can improve if he works at it as last year proved. Just wondering as he had a PCL injury and a short pre-season if his kicking was effected in the last half due to fatigue?

Reply #211
Agree with all this. I would think this issue would be something of a top priority for Bolton.

EDIT :  As something of an aside, when you consider :

a. that our forward line is either dysfunctional or non existent (depending on your POV)
b. it was our first serious hit out with a new coach and lots of new players
c. we were playing a finalist from last season with the current AA full back as part of their defense, and
d. missed some easy goals

I guess 83 points isn't a terrible effort, is it ? I know the Tiges were undermanned, but still..........

Tigers had Deleido, Maric and Grigg out. Only Deleido was really significant, with due respect to the other two.

I'm looking at the stats now. Effective inside 50s Richmond won 59% to 44%, so we weren't that efficient going in, especially when you consider we had 11 more. We actually took more marks inside 50, 18-12, but weren't that accurate.

Reply #212
Tigers had Deleido, Maric and Grigg out. Only Deleido was really significant, with due respect to the other two.

I'm looking at the stats now. Effective inside 50s Richmond won 59% to 44%, so we weren't that efficient going in, especially when you consider we had 11 more. We actually took more marks inside 50, 18-12, but weren't that accurate.

Yes, less efficiency = less reward for effort, which would wear down the best teams after a while.

Reply #213
Good call there PI2C. When he lined up for that deadset gimme in the last, I had no doubts he'd miss, 'cos by then his kicking demons had well and truly settled inside his head. He would've been a mess by then.

“When the big boys are firing and marking it up forward, it’s a real uplifting feeling and it gives us full faith that they’re going to make a contest. It was super by them.” DVR after the NBs win over the Tiggers.
Only our ruthless best, from Board to bootstudders will get us no. 17

Reply #214
Kerridge did seem to tire but he's our fittest player and was Adelaide's.

Maybe not the fitness of our guys that hurt us in the last quarter but the frenetic game style. All that relentless forward pressure would take more of a toll on our guys than the opposition... maybe.

Not to say it will always be an issue - the players will get used to it and will learn how hard to push without running out of gas completely.

Reply #215
w
Needs to kick through the ball from close range. We know he can kick them regularly from 50.

Lockett was as good a kick for goal as any I have seen and he never kicked right through the ball every shot. Lockett took the golf approach, in close he kicked a wedge, inside 40m he kicked a 5-Iron and from 50m out he took out the driver. Diesel Williams was the same. They both basically had two or three set lengths they kicked subject to range.

Go back over videos and watch Fev, Carey, Bosustow, Bradley, etc., etc.., etc.. They all drop the ball from about hip height, as does Casboult, Riewoldt, Franklin, Walker, etc., etc..

It's sh1t easy for these blokes to carry on about ball drop, but the truth shows on the footage as long as you are prepared to ignore their hollow words.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #216
It's sh1t easy for these blokes to carry on about ball drop, but the truth shows on the footage as long as you are prepared to ignore their words.

I wonder how much the problem is hand size and not ball drop. I know that small handed players are better shooters in basketball as they have less surface area covered which equates to less places that a touch will alter the balls trajectory.

Stew Lowe was always considered a great mark thanks to his bucket hands much the same as Levi, I just wonder if a minimal grip would better?

Reply #217
I wonder how much the problem is hand size and not ball drop. I know that small handed players are better shooters in basketball as they have less surface area covered which equates to less places that a touch will alter the balls trajectory.

Stew Lowe was always considered a great mark thanks to his bucket hands much the same as Levi, I just wonder if a minimal grip would better?

Hand size might be one, foot size could be a factor too.  I imagine those with big hands have big feet too.
"everything you know is wrong"

Paul Hewson

Reply #218

This is really the reason why I'd love Casboult to get some one on one training from Fev.

Fev worked through similar issues with close in shots and modified his grip on the ball to improve reliability within 25m to 30m range. With Fev it was basically tension in arms and hands caused by worrying about that close in miss. Nobody can argue Fev had a bad kicking action, but he suffered similar reliability issues in close. Fev could miss everything from 20m out, but drill 4 out of 5 shots from 50m, just like Casboult does when he is warming up!

Casboult doesn't need a technique coach, he needs to understand why he has those problems inside F50 and how to avoid them.
The Force Awakens!

Reply #219
Kerridge did seem to tire but he's our fittest player and was Adelaide's.

Maybe not the fitness of our guys that hurt us in the last quarter but the frenetic game style. All that relentless forward pressure would take more of a toll on our guys than the opposition... maybe.

Not to say it will always be an issue - the players will get used to it and will learn how hard to push without running out of gas completely.

Maybe Kerridge is having to do a lot more work in his role for us than he did at the Crows where game style is probably different and there were more mature options also available?
Reality always wins in the end.

Reply #220
On the bright side, Collingwood's on the bottom, although Freo might give them a run.
The only thing in this world worth more than a hill of beans is the Carlton Football Club.

Reply #221
On the bright side, Collingwood's on the bottom, although Freo might give them a run.

Collingwood and Essendon are the bottom two. It looks very nice! ;D

Reply #222
Maybe Kerridge is having to do a lot more work in his role for us than he did at the Crows where game style is probably different and there were more mature options also available?

Dangerman, Thompson and Sloane is a fair lineup of ballwinning ability to be playing behind.....Thompson just doesnt stop getting the ball and absorbs punishment better than most..Kerridge looked knackered with the workload...the fresher Lambert and Townsend in particular hurt us and our 2nd and 3rd string mids didnt cut it in the last quarter..
Kerridge is a good footballer but you have to rest him at some stage no matter how fit he is....

Reply #223
Kerridge gives 100% and goes hard but lacks a little polish e.g clean hands.  Was a bit fumbly below his knees on Thursday but looks a solid, decent player.  If he is the "Bell replacement" then he looks a more than capable replacement.

We still need more mids developing on slow heat.
DrE is no more... you ok with that harmonica man?

Reply #224

According to my maths Freo are on the bottom.